[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Diamonds in the Rough

Our next "Diamond in the Rough" Is the Broncos' Josh Barrett. Barrett hails from Arizona St., where he had a bit of a down senior season after a very good junior campaign. Barrett's size and measurable stats are definite pluses. Scouts feared that he could be just a "workout warrior" with some desire issues, though. But if you can grab Barrett late in your rookie drafts, he could pan out as a sleeper in a few years. John Lynch is ancient, and the only other safeties of note on the Bronco roster are average at best.

With some help from the very capable Bronco defensive coaches, Barrett could refine his footwork and become a solid safety in the league.

Some more info on Barrett

Feel free to discuss; Bronco/ASU homers are encouraged to reply. :wacko:

I love this guy, and not just because he's in DEN.

It's all about opportunity. John Lynch's career is on a ventilator and there isn't much else that DEN has at S, mostly stop-gap type players.

Enter Barrett. He's big, he's damn fast, and he loves to hit. He bites on play action too much, but that's because he's an in-the-box SS. I think he'll fit right into the SS slot in DEN with the lack of competition and remind people of Lynch and Atwater with the way he hits.

He was downright studly in 2006 at ASU, but then got tweaked a bit & also got cross-wise of Erickson & the coaching staff last year, which got him benched. But his combine numbers are the real deal. This may be the classic case of a player being moved way down draft lists on the strength of a poor senior year after having proved he can play at a very high level earlier, and that senior season being due in part to a change in coaching staff/philosophy that wasn't a good fit for Barrett after his previous year's success.

I think the real Barrett is the one who played in 2006. I also share that belief with his team mate Torain, and these are the types of guys Shanahan used to make a living off of. I'm actually very jacked up by DEN's draft this year (and those of you who know me know I'll drop the hammer on Shanahan & DEN when deserved).

To back it up, I have drafted Barrett in 2 of my 3 dynasty leagues, and the only reason I didn't take him in the other league is that I was loaded at S and needed a LB, so I went with Geno Hayes instead.

I love this guy, and not just because he's in DEN.

It's all about opportunity. John Lynch's career is on a ventilator and there isn't much else that DEN has at S, mostly stop-gap type players.

Enter Barrett. He's big, he's damn fast, and he loves to hit. He bites on play action too much, but that's because he's an in-the-box SS. I think he'll fit right into the SS slot in DEN with the lack of competition and remind people of Lynch and Atwater with the way he hits.

He was downright studly in 2006 at ASU, but then got tweaked a bit & also got cross-wise of Erickson & the coaching staff last year, which got him benched. But his combine numbers are the real deal. This may be the classic case of a player being moved way down draft lists on the strength of a poor senior year after having proved he can play at a very high level earlier, and that senior season being due in part to a change in coaching staff/philosophy that wasn't a good fit for Barrett after his previous year's success.

I think the real Barrett is the one who played in 2006. I also share that belief with his team mate Torain, and these are the types of guys Shanahan used to make a living off of. I'm actually very jacked up by DEN's draft this year (and those of you who know me know I'll drop the hammer on Shanahan & DEN when deserved).

To back it up, I have drafted Barrett in 2 of my 3 dynasty leagues, and the only reason I didn't take him in the other league is that I was loaded at S and needed a LB, so I went with Geno Hayes instead.

BB, is the rook going to get a shot at MLB this year or is it going to be Koutivides?

BB, is the rook going to get a shot at MLB this year or is it going to be Koutivides?

Your guess is as good as mine. No one can accurately predict Shanahan's mindset, but I think what you'll see is 3 guys in a wide open competition for the spot - Koutivides, Jordan Beck, and rookie Spencer Larsen. I've drafted Larsen in all 3 of my dyansty leagues because he can be had very late in drafts and he will be given what I think is a fair opportunity to win the job. Larsen is listed as an OLB in some places, but his game is made for MLB. High motor, athletic, very good tackler, and he's smart. I'd say he's got as good a shot at the spot as the other 2, and the DEN MLB spot will generate a lot of tackles.

Edited by Bronco Billy

• 3 weeks later...
Nice, thanks BB... great info. :wacko:

Niko Koutouvides-LB- Broncos May. 19 - 11:24 pm et

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan mentioned Nate Webster when asked who might compete with Niko Koutouvides to start at middle linebacker.

It's obvious that the Broncos want Koutouvides to win this battle, and pretty close to a lock that he will. Webster started on the strong side last year, but has been replaced there by Boss Bailey. He's not an effective starter.

Source: Rocky Mountain News

Related: Nate Webster

from roto

If Nate Webster is starting at MLB, you know 2 things:

1) The DEN D will be worse than it was last year (if that's possible).

2) Koutivides, Beck, & Larsen are all not good enough to be employed as NFL players other than ST kamikazes.

Webster simply is not a capable starting LB at the NFL level.