[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another Pit Bull Attack

Double Agent

If you guys want to argue against laws like these because it's just way to hard to accurately draw a line. That makes total sense. Besides the possibility of simply training another breed to be attack dogs, there's the very slippery slope of mixed breeds that are eerily similar to pits.

However, don't let the simple fact that banning a breed being impossible and ineffective embolden the oft made stance that Pits are kind and loving creatures that don't get a fair shake. That, after all, is the stance that nearly all of us in this discussion who've spoken out against Pits are arguing against. I've been as outspoken in this regard as the next and have repeatedly mentioned that I realize banning this or any breed simply will not work.

Using the fact that this is an extremely difficult, if not impossible law to enforce to justify getting a pit as a family dog seems foolish at best.

Edited by detlef

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you guys want to argue against laws like these because it's just way to hard to accurately draw a line. That makes total sense. Besides the possibility of simply training another breed to be attack dogs, there's the very slippery slope of mixed breeds that are eerily similar to pits.

However, don't let the simple fact that banning a breed being impossible and ineffective embolden the oft made stance that Pits are kind and loving creatures that don't get a fair shake. That, after all, is the stance that nearly all of us in this discussion who've spoken out against Pits are arguing against. I've been as outspoken in this regard as the next and have repeatedly mentioned that I realize banning this or any breed simply will not work.

Using the fact that this is an extremely difficult, if not impossible law to enforce to justify getting a pit as a family dog seems foolish at best.

After all that has been in the news lately I will have to change my stance on my opinion of pits in the family household. I don't know if I like the idea of it anymore. Since this thread has posted, I have read of at least 4 attacks.

I still love Rotties though!

dogs dont kill people, owners of dogs do.

Maybe you're posting this as a joke, I don't know, but it's actually a fine stance. In as much as people are the ones who choose whether or not to own a dog that is inclined to attack, or more specifically, do some serious damage when they do.

So, when somebody's pit bull kills someone, I have no problem punishing that person to high hell and back. Of course, if somebody's golden retriever does the same, same goes for them. It's just that the guy who gets the golden's odds of this going down are almost nothing unless dude spends each and every day training the dog to do so.

Maybe you're posting this as a joke, I don't know, but it's actually a fine stance. In as much as people are the ones who choose whether or not to own a dog that is inclined to attack, or more specifically, do some serious damage when they do.

So, when somebody's pit bull kills someone, I have no problem punishing that person to high hell and back. Of course, if somebody's golden retriever does the same, same goes for them. It's just that the guy who gets the golden's odds of this going down are almost nothing unless dude spends each and every day training the dog to do so.

It looked to me like he was poking at the saying "guns don't kill people, people kill people" ... not sure whether he meant for it to call into question the original or if he was being serious.

In any case they are not the same.

If a gun is unsupervised it can't choose to attack and maim/kill a person. The gun is only deadly when operated by a human being.

Obviously not the case with dogs. Although they can be trained to kill by humans and set to kill by humans ... they can also choose to maim/kill without direction from a human.

He was making a play off the line Speaker Foley(I could be wrong) used during Reagan's presidency. "Guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people." I would like to ammend that statement to include ignorant irresponsible people with guns kill people.

Now back to the topic!

It looked to me like he was poking at the saying "guns don't kill people, people kill people" ... not sure whether he meant for it to call into question the original or if he was being serious.

In any case they are not the same.

If a gun is unsupervised it can't choose to attack and maim/kill a person. The gun is only deadly when operated by a human being.

Obviously not the case with dogs. Although they can be trained to kill by humans and set to kill by humans ... they can also choose to maim/kill without direction from a human.

Certainly. I suppose my point is simply that just like choosing not to own a breed that is known to be dangerous drastically reduces (in some cases nearly to zero) the chances of your family dog killing someone, choosing not to own a gun drastically reduces (in this case, to zero) the chance that your gun finds it's way into the wrong hands (like a child for instance) and kills someone.

However, I understand your point entirely that a responsible gun owner can basically eliminate this sort of thing happening more so than someone who owns a "dangerous" breed.

He was making a play off the line Speaker Foley(I could be wrong) used during Reagan's presidency. "Guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people." I would like to ammend that statement to include ignorant irresponsible people with guns kill people.

Now back to the topic!

Guys, guys, I understand the reference. That's why I mentioned the joking part.

What if my Weimaraner attacks? Prison?

Yes. However, do you really think your Weimeraners are going to attack and kill someone? I don't without ever meeting them.

The law should be enacted and enforced regardless of breed. People can then decide the risk they're willing to live with.

i think prison is appropiate for the friggin dog owners that dont pick up the crap from my front lawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

+1

I live in an apartment complex that has little doggy bag stations throughout and these dumb sorostitutes with their little purse dogs just don't get it! I have ran to catch the bus to class, and stepped in little doggy poo along the way, and not noticed it till AFTER I got on the bus...full of those same sorostitutes staring at me because I have shyt on my shoes!

:wacko:

For the pit bull owners, just curious what effect it had on your home insurance rates... or did you lie and not disclose that you owned a pit bull? IIRC, many carriers will not insure you (or your rates skyrocket) if you own a pit bull or one of several other breeds that have been defined as dangerous by the insurance carrier.

Here's another involving an ex-football player.

Attack

tangent, but when I see "former football player steve foley" I still immediately think of the broncos safety during the 80s, not that other emmit-smith-on-roids looking tool. he was one of my favorite players as a kid, and the reason I wore 43 in peewee football.

• 1 month later...

Hate to beat a dead horse but...

Just found out this weekend that my cousin got his cheek ripped off by his dad's pit bull. The same dad who has always said that the dog is a saint and it is all about how you raise it.

I guess my cousin has been spending time in some kind of hyperbolic chamber or something just so they can try to save the cheek that they surgically repaired.

If you are a parent that owns a pit bull and has kids in the house (I don't care how old) do yourselves a favor and put the dog down. It is not worth the hell that this family has gone through.

Hate to beat a dead horse but...

Just found out this weekend that my cousin got his cheek ripped off by his dad's pit bull. The same dad who has always said that the dog is a saint and it is all about how you raise it.

I guess my cousin has been spending time in some kind of hyperbolic chamber or something just so they can try to save the cheek that they surgically repaired.

If you are a parent that owns a pit bull and has kids in the house (I don't care how old) do yourselves a favor and put the dog down. It is not worth the hell that this family has gone through.

That's what your cousin's dad gets for letting the dog sleep on the bed that time. :wacko:

Denver Officer Shoots Charging Pit Bull

http://www.officer.com/online/article.jsp?...=1&id=42164

damn right, I am a dog lover and I wouldn't hesitate to put a round between the eyes of an agressive Pit Bull coming at me -

a ticking time bomb on 2 legs that is ugly as hell.

I run and hike alot - if I even see one, I am not looking it in the eyes or even coming within 20 feet of it- no thanks