[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another Pit Bull Attack

Double Agent

Pits are a significantly more dangerous as a breed. They are responsible for a disproportionate number of attacks, which is why many insurance companies charge more for homeowners insurance or flat won't cover owners. :wacko: They are kind of like having a trampoline around - someone is more likely to be hurt with one around than not.

I think that if people want to own pits, they should be able to. They should also not be naive about the dangers of the breed and be fully accountable for their dogs actions, as all dog owners should be.

I am a big dog lover, but I'd never own a pit. I trust dobermans and rotts, but not pits. Something in them snaps and bad things happen. I think it's similar to Canine Rage Syndrome that some breeds get as they age.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have nothing of substance to add other than to say no way in hell would I own one, let my kids be around them, or otherwise interact with them. Nor will I for that matter.

And I wouldn't have any problem at all if the breed didn't exist. That's a little different than saying "kill 'em all", but not by much...not by much.

I don't really care for Rotts, German Shepherds, Bull Mastiffs, Dobermans, and the like either. Too much potential for problems IMO.

That swimming pools and automobiles are more dangerous than pit bulls, but we're not seeing threads decrying the evils of cars, swimming pools, and people who own them/allow children near them.

I will make the assumption that you are not serious and are fishing?? If not, you seriously have some major intelligence issues.

So, really you're just trying to be obtuse?

None the less, do I have you on record as saying that you'd have no problem letting your young children play with a pit bull?

You serve dog in your resturant, don't you? Along with the toast... :wacko:

Pits are a significantly more dangerous as a breed. They are responsible for a disproportionate number of attacks, which is why many insurance companies charge more for homeowners insurance or flat won't cover owners. :wacko: They are kind of like having a trampoline around - someone is more likely to be hurt with one around than not.

I think that if people want to own pits, they should be able to. They should also not be naive about the dangers of the breed and be fully accountable for their dogs actions, as all dog owners should be.

I am a big dog lover, but I'd never own a pit. I trust dobermans and rotts, but not pits. Something in them snaps and bad things happen. I think it's similar to Canine Rage Syndrome that some breeds get as they age.

Well stated. My major point is that you have a choice to own a pit bull. If you are a 25 year old single dude and the people that visit you are adults and you very rarely have your pit bull interact with any kids then fine go out and get yourself a pit bull.

If you have children or if your dog will interact with children then when you CHOOSE to still have a pit bull I think you have issues.

I am sure there are tons of pit bulls out there that are awesome and never have and never will hurt anyone. I just don't think it is worth the pain that a family will go through IF it does happen and the chances of it happening are MORE if CHOOSE to own a pit bull versus say a Golden Doodle - my sis just got one and the thing is almost afraid of flies.

This seems pretty timely.

Now we know why Squeegie defends kid killers.

Which Breed Of Dog Is Most Aggressive?

Study Finds Dachshund To Be Most Aggressive Breed

POSTED: 11:16 am EDT July 8, 2008

UPDATED: 12:38 pm EDT July 8, 2008

They may not look as threatening as some of the larger canine, but research revealed that the dachshund is the most aggressive breed of dog.

Citing a study published by Applied Animal Behavior Science, the British newspaper The Daily Telegraph reported that one in five dachshunds has bitten or tried to bite strangers, and one in 12 has shown aggression toward its owners.

The study involved researchers from the University of Pennsylvania. About 6,000 dog owners were questioned about their dogs' behavior. Thirty-three breeds were ranked on their aggression.

Ranking below the dachshund was an even smaller dog, the Chihuahua. According to the newspaper, research found that the tiny breed often snaps at most beings it encounters -- including its owners, strangers and other dogs.

The Jack Russell terrier was third, followed by the Akita and the Australian cattle dog. The pit bull was sixth, followed by the beagle, the English springer spaniel, the border collie and the German shepherd.

The Telegraph reported that researchers said previous studies on canine aggression could have been misleading as most bites from smaller dogs were not reported. According to the researchers, bites from larger dogs were more likely to require medical attention than those from smaller dogs.

According to the Telegraph, the Rottweiler, which is widely believed to be an aggressive dog, scored average to below average ratings for its hostility toward strangers.

The newspaper reported that some of the lowest scoring breeds for aggression included the Basset hound, golden retriever, Labradors, Siberian huskies and greyhounds.

Edited by Puddy

While the pits and rotties do more damage, I would heartily agree that those d*mned ankle biters are the worst. I love dogs but am real close to making my mom's poopyzu disappear mysteriously.

The newspaper reported that some of the lowest scoring breeds for aggression included the Basset hound, golden retriever, Labradors, Siberian huskies and greyhounds

Close friend of mine growing up had a Husky, it was the meanest fokking dog I've ever encountered in my life.

If you get Bootsie and Chalkie (13-year old black labs) to bite you, I will give you my Corvette.

And I don't mean just holding out food to them and shoving your hand in their mouth.

If you get Bootsie and Chalkie (13-year old black labs) to bite you, I will give you my Corvette.

And I don't mean just holding out food to them and shoving your hand in their mouth.

If you can get my pit to bite you I will buy you a Corvette. My pit will piss himself before he attacks anything...hes a puss

If you can get my pit to bite you I will buy you a Corvette. My pit will piss himself before he attacks anything...hes a puss

Exactly...it's not the breed, it's the dog. Sorta like people saying all black people commit crimes. Most do, but you can't lock them all up. Wait, that's a bad analogy, isn't it? :wacko:

This seems pretty timely.

Now we know why Squeegie defends kid killers.

My vet said dachshunds are responsible for the biggest percentage of bites involving vets/vet assistants, the reason being that, unlike most dogs, dachshunds do not give warning that they intend to bite, they just do it.

I have attempted to teach my dachshunds to attack my husband when he pisses me off. Those little effers won't bite anyone, even if you put hands in their mouths and try to squeeze their jaws shut.

But I guess that all dachshunds should be immediately taken out into a field and shot, along with all the pit bulls. :wacko:

fixed

Let's get some things straight:

I don't own any pit bulls. I don't have children.

I would never be responsible for a pit bull or even have one on my property. [i'd say pretty much the same applies to children.]

Based on what I've seen, if I did have a kid, there is no way I would every allow him or her near a pit bull or any dog with which I was not pretty darn familiar.

I know very little about pit bulls and children because I don't have any experience with them; therefore, I am not going to have the audacity to tell people who own/have them that they are wrong.

My posts in this thread have merely been a vehicle for you to demonstrate once again to everyone here that you are long-winded, self-important, condescending person who cannot debate a topic without resorting to personal attacks.

Before you call me a hypocrite for what I said in the sentence immediately preceding this one, keep in mind that I made my observations not in the furtherance of the debate on this topic. I actually think we have very similar views on the issue of pit bulls. It's just that you are a bit of a jerk.

That is all.