[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another Pit Bull Attack

Double Agent

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Uh, don't put your face in front of a dog you don't know. Dogs are animals, they should be handled accordingly. Now because of some dumbass reporter they will probably put this dog down. Discuss.

ETA: This was an Argentinian Mastiff, not a pit bull.

ETA2: Scroll down a bit and you can see the actual video, apparently they are trying to get the video removed from websites so I don't know how long it will be there.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Uh, don't put your face in front of a dog you don't know. Dogs are animals, they should be handled accordingly. Now because of some dumbass reporter they will probably put this dog down. Discuss.

ETA2: Scroll down a bit and you can see the actual video, apparently they are trying to get the video removed from websites so I don't know how long it will be there.

dumb on her part. it's not a golden retriever, toots. but the dog is a separate issue. fighting breed demonstrating unprovoked aggression toward humans like that is no good.

I agree with part of what you are saying, but I think that you're being a bit harsh.

People, by and large, love dogs. They want to pet them. Young children want to hug them. That dog is part of a compelling story. A rescued oppossum would not be be the subject of a TV segment.

It was an unfortunate situation and incident. I don't think that you kill the dog for it, but I'm not sure what you do with it. I sure don't want the thing for a pet.

I agree with part of what you are saying, but I think that you're being a bit harsh.

People, by and large, love dogs. They want to pet them. Young children want to hug them. That dog is part of a compelling story. A rescued oppossum would not be be the subject of a TV segment.

It was an unfortunate situation and incident. I don't think that you kill the dog for it, but I'm not sure what you do with it. I sure don't want the thing for a pet.

Wasn't the smartest thing for her to do but I wouldn't expect the dog to rip her Oprahing face off for it. Tough call, not sure what I think here but I wouldn't be upset if the dog was put down.

Wasn't the smartest thing for her to do but I wouldn't expect the dog to rip her Oprahing face off for it. Tough call, not sure what I think here but I wouldn't be upset if the dog was put down.

It is a tough call but I think you have to put it down. Can't take the chance of it killing someone.

Here is a must watch follow up to this story:

http://www.9news.com/video/1441429247001/1...-about-incident

As a professional dog trainer, I saw this as a dog bite waiting to happen, but I know how to read dogs. That dog was stressed and way over threshold. I have worked with hundreds of aggressive dogs, some like this one have outweighed me. Because I can read dogs, I have only been bitten three times in my career, and only once broke the skin-it was-a Chihuahua :wacko: Of those three, they were all my fault, and could have been avoided.

The pit bull has been given a bad rap for years because of their use in dog-fighting rings, but those that are bred as pets can be just as loving as any Cocker Spaniel. Ignorance of the breed perpetuates the myth.

so how do you tell the difference between the ones bred to be pets and the ones bred to fight? how do you know how far back through their lineage their heirs were selected for non-aggression rather than aggression? what do you do with the ones for whom you can't demonstrate that they have been bred as pets going back several generations?

Haven't read this whole thread, but when I was 4, I stuck my face around the wrong dog (that I can assure you was not a pitbull), got bit and had to have reconstructive surgery of my forehead with 40 stitches.

Pit bull attacks mgiht get more publicity because of how some of them have been bred to be aggressive, but it happens with dogs of nearly all breeds, and I know people who rescue pitbulls from fighting rings that were nurtured into extremely sweet dogs.

Haven't read this whole thread, but when I was 4, I stuck my face around the wrong dog (that I can assure you was not a pitbull), got bit and had to have reconstructive surgery of my forehead with 40 stitches.

Pit bull attacks mgiht get more publicity because of how some of them have been bred to be aggressive, but it happens with dogs of nearly all breeds, and I know people who rescue pitbulls from fighting rings that were nurtured into extremely sweet dogs.

Would you ever own a pit bull?

I guess that is what I don't get. Why would anyone conciously choose to own a pit bull? Makes abolutely no sense to me. If you have kids it even makes less sense (if possible).

Pit bull attacks don't get publicity because they're "bred to be aggressive." They get publicity because a single breed accounts for 50-60% of all dog attack fatalities every year *and* pit bull attacks have escalated drastically over the last 30 years.

Pit bull owners who deny these facts are like holocaust deniers. And I have not idea why any rational person who does appreciate these facts would choose to own the breed anyways.

The idiots across the street had a pit bull with three documented instances of attacking people or other dogs, but they refused to give it up insisting it was a "sweet" dog. I have kids and dogs. My neighbors have kids and dogs. We made sure animal control captured and destroyed the dog and I'm glad that its dead.

Edited by yo mama

Pit bull attacks don't get publicity because they're "bred to be aggressive." They get publicity because a single breed accounts for 50-60% of all dog attack fatalities every year *and* pit bull attacks have escalated drastically over the last 30 years.

Pit bull owners who deny these facts are like holocaust deniers. And I have not idea why any rational person who does appreciate these facts would choose to own the breed anyways.

The idiots across the street had a pit bull with three documented instances of attacking people or other dogs, but they refused to give it up insisting it was a "sweet" dog. I have kids and dogs. My neighbors have kids and dogs. We made sure animal control captured and destroyed the dog and I'm glad that its dead.

:wacko:

I still think that the wrong thing was captured and destroyed, but I'm certainly not going to change your mind about it so I'll leave it at that.