[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another Pit Bull Attack

Double Agent

Thanks for link. I may be wrong on my statistics but I am still adament about the dog. Also, stats can be skewed by crackheads (Vick) getting a pit and training to kill...of course its going to kill

Rottweilers and Pit Bulls were involved in 60 percent of the 27 dog bite fatalities that occurred in 1997 and 1998. Rottweilers were involved in 10 deaths, and Pit Bulls were involved in 6.

Do you guys hate Rotties as well?

that looks like a 2 year anomaly. here is the report that would appear to be the source of your info. if you look at the table at the bottom of page 2, you'll see that between 1979 and 1998 (a 20 year sample instead of 2), pit bulls were reportedly responsible for 66 fatalities, rotties are second at 39.

but yeah, to answer your question, I'd say rotties are pretty dangerous to own as well. I'd be careful with them as well, and there is no way in hell I would want one around my kid.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity, why do they call them "Pit" bulls?

The pit is referred to the arena of the dog fight.

Yes, they were bred for that. I guess we should kill them all and assume they are all evil and will kill anything that walks.

The American Temperament Testing Society gives the American Pit Bull Terrier breed a "pass" percentage of 84.1%. The average of all breeds is 81.5%

While friendliness and tolerance towards humans are traits of the breed [4], there are, as in any breed, those that are dangerous toward humans. Many attacks by other dog breeds are misclassified as "Pit Bulls" by media reports

Irresponsible ownership can have a great impact on how a breed is represented in attack statistics.

Just some things for you dog-haters to chew on. :wacko:

:D

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Just some things for you dog-haters to chew on. :wacko:

Irresponsible ownership can have a great impact on how a breed is represented in attack statistics.

Thats the most accurate statement when talking about pits

Edited by MrTed46

OK Ted...I know you're passionate about the breed. I truly pray that you don't have children. These dogs should never be allowed around kids. They just don't have the temperament for it.

You ask for my experience on the breed so I'll give it to you. Here's one: I have several. About 15 years ago a long-time family friend bought a pit puppy. At the time, he and his wife had 2 kids. Even 15 years ago people knew this breed was no good. We warned him...he gave the same lame excuse. "It's how they're raised...you've got to get them from a good breeder...etc." Fast forward a few years. The dog had always been wonderful. Never showed an ounce of aggression. Was a house dog and slept in bed with the husband and wife. Then one day the dog decided to rip the 5 year old girl's face off. While he was at it, he broke her arm and punctured her lung. The wife heard screaming from the back yard and saw what was occurring. Grabbed a shotgun and took care of the dog. Had to CareFlight the little girl to the hospital. She lived and looks good today considering her face was pretty much removed. Still has major scars though.

So what caused this? I'm sure the little girl grabbed his tail or something. That's what kids do. These dogs are no different than trained Grizzly Bears. They may be perfect for 10 years. But all it takes is once...and that's enough reason for me to never own one.

There is a reason why some neighborhoods, towns, cities, insurance companies, etc. don't want any part of them. I don't think it's just ignorant discrimination. Your dog may be different and I hope he is. But I'll defer my opinion to the thousands of cases where the breed is not what you say it is.

that looks like a 2 year anomaly. here is the report that would appear to be the source of your info. if you look at the table at the bottom of page 2, you'll see that between 1979 and 1998 (a 20 year sample instead of 2), pit bulls were reportedly responsible for 66 fatalities, rotties are second at 39.

but yeah, to answer your question, I'd say rotties are pretty dangerous to own as well. I'd be careful with them as well, and there is no way in hell I would want one around my kid.

I respect people saying they dont want them near their kids or dont want anything to do with them. But I get so angry when people say they should be all dead or why do people own them.

OK Ted...I know you're passionate about the breed. I truly pray that you don't have children. These dogs should never be allowed around kids. They just don't have the temperament for it.

You ask for my experience on the breed so I'll give it to you. Here's one: I have several. About 15 years ago a long-time family friend bought a pit puppy. At the time, he and his wife had 2 kids. Even 15 years ago people knew this breed was no good. We warned him...he gave the same lame excuse. "It's how they're raised...you've got to get them from a good breeder...etc." Fast forward a few years. The dog had always been wonderful. Never showed an ounce of aggression. Was a house dog and slept in bed with the husband and wife. Then one day the dog decided to rip the 5 year old girl's face off. While he was at it, he broke her arm and punctured her lung. The wife heard screaming from the back yard and saw what was occurring. Grabbed a shotgun and took care of the dog. Had to CareFlight the little girl to the hospital. She lived and looks good today considering her face was pretty much removed. Still has major scars though.

So what caused this? I'm sure the little girl grabbed his tail or something. That's what kids do. These dogs are no different than trained Grizzly Bears. They may be perfect for 10 years. But all it takes is once...and that's enough reason for me to never own one.

There is a reason why some neighborhoods, towns, cities, insurance companies, etc. don't want any part of them. I don't think it's just ignorant discrimination. Your dog may be different and I hope he is. But I'll defer my opinion to the thousands of cases where the breed is not what you say it is.

I will allow my Pit near any child and my family allows their children near my Pit at all times. I will not blaim the breed for an attack even if mine does attack.

If I will not allow my kids around a Pit then I can cross off MANY breeds of dogs.

I never said a Pit is human..its still an animal just like all other breeds

Edited by MrTed46

If I will not allow my kids around a Pit then I can cross off MANY breeds of dogs.

That's what they call being a responsible parent. There are a lot of breeds I wouldn't let my 20 month old play with. I won't let him play with rattlesnakes either.

Since you are an expert can you give me another breed that has the same characteristics as a pit? I have been around alot of dogs and nothing in my book compares to a Pit.

I guess we should just drop it because when I hear people talking about this breed it strikes a nerve because they follow the media.

Edit to add: Most attacks can be blaimed on their owners not being responsible for their dog. Every dog has its own personality and their owner should be responsible to control that. And, in some cases a dog can snap and kill. That can happen with any animal and they shouldnt be singled out to a pit.

This really isn't a true statement. There are many dogs (nevermind animals) that do not have the physical characteristics to kill

And then there are many dogs that do have the physical characteristics to accomplish it, but it never happens.

I am not one that is (necessarily) going to call for all pitbulls everywhere to be euthanized, but show me another breed that has 1/100th the human kills in the last 10 years.

I respect people saying they dont want them near their kids or dont want anything to do with them. But I get so angry when people say they should be all dead or why do people own them.

and I see your point. but most of the time, when a pit kills a kid, it is someone else's kid. that makes it everyone else's business, to some extent. and no, it's not unfair to single out the single most dangerous breed.

Edited by Azazello1313

The pit is referred to the arena of the dog fight.

Yes, they were bred for that. I guess we should kill them all and assume they are all evil and will kill anything that walks.

When they were being bred for that do you think the breeders threw out any predispositions for fighting or went by let's say, ear size? If indeed they were bred for aggression do you think that makes them any more aggressive than breeds who were not bred for aggression?

When they were being bred for that do you think the breeders threw out any predispositions for fighting or went by let's say, ear size? If indeed they were bred for aggression do you think that makes them any more aggressive than breeds who were not bred for aggression?

Well, you're pretty much wrong. They were bred to fight, not be aggressive:

They were also bred to be intelligent and level-headed during fights and remain non-aggressive toward their handlers. Part of the standard for organized dog-fighting required that the match referee who is unacquainted with the dog be able to enter the ring, pick up a dog while it was engaged in a fight, and get the respective owner to carry it out of the ring without being bitten. Dogs that bit the referee were culled.
Edited by Hugh 0ne

Thanks for link. I may be wrong on my statistics but I am still adament about the dog. Also, stats can be skewed by crackheads (Vick) getting a pit and training to kill...of course its going to kill

Rottweilers and Pit Bulls were involved in 60 percent of the 27 dog bite fatalities that occurred in 1997 and 1998. Rottweilers were involved in 10 deaths, and Pit Bulls were involved in 6.

Do you guys hate Rotties as well?

I have never liked Rottweilers. When I was a teenager my GF's family had a rottie. She was intimidating as heck.

Here's part of the problem: There are lines that are bred for aggression. One f the reasons that German Shephard attacks had been so prevailent 20 or so years ago is that "American Shephards" had become a distinct but unrecognized breed. German breeders had always bred their shephards as work dogs, and had been careful not to breed the ones they taught to be attack animals. American breeders did not make this distinction.

Rotties and Pitts have a good bit of this aggresion bred into them, and they are inherently risky breeds because of it. I understand that non every member of the breed will be prone to attacks, and even that it is a very small percentage. But there is still a risk.

150+ years ago, that was true of a lot of different breeds (bulldogs, for example). now, those traits have been bred out of most breeds. when is the last time you ever heard of a bulldog attacking a kid? it's not too common these days.

I own a bulldog and have been around them my entire life. I've never even heard one growl. I've never seen a more loving breed. So yes, aggression can certainly be bred out of a breed. But it would take decades I guess.

The posts that I am seeing are funny to me. It seems like most of you are people who have their reservations about these two breeds of dogs. Fair enough. But it's due to your ignorance about these breeds of dogs. Without proper care ANY DOG can attack someone. The reason Rotties and Pits get such a bad rep is because they do the most damage. But in the GRAND SCHEME of things, they are all dogs. They mimic their owners. I watch plenty of Caesar Milan and have read his book. The guy started his career by rehabilitating Rotties that had bad owners. And the dog that he touts around with him the most is his Pit Bull. Ever heard of a King Corso? How about a presa canario? These are also dogs that can kill someone. You don't hear too much about them because they are expensive large breeds of dogs and have to be cared for more than an average dog. You notice in the video that the property manager said the owners kept them hidden inside? Certain dogs can't just be kept inside, or they will go nuts once they get outside. The dogs aren't responsible for attacking people, the owners are. I have owned 2 Rotts in my life and my father has one now. They are one of the most loyal, trainable, and frankly fun to be around dogs out there. I don't know about Pit's because I have never owned one. And probably wouldn't own one, not because I am scared of what it will do, but because I simply wouldn't own another breed other than a Rotty. I suggest haters out there do more research into each breed, or just continue to hate. But I guarantee that if you cross my path and I have Daisy (my dad's Rotty) with me, the only thing you have to worry about is the tiny bit of slobber that hangs from her mouth every once in a while.

Maybe some of you should just learn how to be a PACK LEADER :wacko:

edit: detlef where you at?

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

I've taken care of probably around 5-6 dog bite victims over the years with critical or deforming type injuries. All them have been inflicted by pit bulls. I know people love their animals and I respect that, but it only takes one incident to kill or maim. That is a risk that you cannot take as a parent IMO, and I will not allow my child to visit anyone's home that owns a pit, rottweiler, doberman, etc. FWIW the last two bites I've seen have been facial bites with massive damage and deformity, and both were the first time either dog had ever attacked and both incidents were non-provoked. One was a 6yo girl and the other a 16yo boy who was the dogs owner.

Why take the chance? The safety of your children and your loved ones trumps any love you may have for a pet.

Terriers in general are just more....not necessarily aggressive...but I guess jumpy or energetic. Look at Jack Russells...they are super energetic...more so than say a Beagle. A pit bull is not "aggressive" I guess that is the wrong wording I have used in the past...by nature. They seem to be more energetic and like a horse...maybe they need to be "lunged" before they are around children or play rough.....I dunno?

If the parents let the dog be like a kid and not like a dog, it's understandable. Dogs are territorial unless you assert yourself as the boss. You let the dog sleep in the bed, the dog is now on the same level as the little girl. You truly need to read more on dogs, and their behaviors.

The posts that I am seeing are funny to me. It seems like most of you are people who have their reservations about these two breeds of dogs. Fair enough. But it's due to your ignorance about these breeds of dogs. Without proper care ANY DOG can attack someone. The reason Rotties and Pits get such a bad rep is because they do the most damage. But in the GRAND SCHEME of things, they are all dogs. They mimic their owners. I watch plenty of Caesar Milan and have read his book. The guy started his career by rehabilitating Rotties that had bad owners. And the dog that he touts around with him the most is his Pit Bull. Ever heard of a King Corso? How about a presa canario? These are also dogs that can kill someone. You don't hear too much about them because they are expensive large breeds of dogs and have to be cared for more than an average dog. You notice in the video that the property manager said the owners kept them hidden inside? Certain dogs can't just be kept inside, or they will go nuts once they get outside. The dogs aren't responsible for attacking people, the owners are. I have owned 2 Rotts in my life and my father has one now. They are one of the most loyal, trainable, and frankly fun to be around dogs out there. I don't know about Pit's because I have never owned one. And probably wouldn't own one, not because I am scared of what it will do, but because I simply wouldn't own another breed other than a Rotty. I suggest haters out there do more research into each breed, or just continue to hate. But I guarantee that if you cross my path and I have Daisy (my dad's Rotty) with me, the only thing you have to worry about is the tiny bit of slobber that hangs from her mouth every once in a while.

Maybe some of you should just learn how to be a PACK LEADER :wacko:

If the parents let the dog be like a kid and not like a dog, it's understandable. Dogs are territorial unless you assert yourself as the boss. You let the dog sleep in the bed, the dog is now on the same level as the little girl. You truly need to read more on dogs, and their behaviors.

This is brilliant. I never knew letting your dog sleep in the bed could cause them to eat your child's face.

I need to do more reading.