[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another Pit Bull Attack

Double Agent

Ugh, another defensive pit owner in MrTed. For the love of christ, please acknowledge that most violent or fatal dog attacks are by pits. It is a fact, get over it. One poster on our local message board (regarding this attack) suggested that cocker spaniels are more deadly than pitbulls. I'm bias because I have a cocker sitting on my lap right now but geez :wacko: gimme a frickin break already. This dog could not kill a human being, I don't care what you say. The fact that pit owners get so defensive about this issue really drives the point..deep inside .they know they are dangerous but don't want to admit it. Also, whats up with the gangsta pit bull requirement? Thats not helping your cause either. I'm not advocating putting dogs down because of their breed by any means, I just don't understand why anyone would want one considering the track record.

Also, for what its worth, I stopped by a Rotweiller kennel one time with my young daughters to look at the dogs and, lets just say I run them kids outta there real quick before they were eaten :D

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't think that letting a dog sleep in a bed confuses him in relation to what the household hierarchy is, then you run the risk of his defending territory that he believes is his when it is not.

You don't even know what the message is.

How many families own a cockapoo and let it sleep in the bed - answer = many mnay thousands

How many of those cockapoos mentioned above have ripped the face off of a young child? - answer = zero

If you love the breed of a pit bull so much that you buy one and have young children in your house then you have a messed up understanding of priorities.

If you don't think that letting a dog sleep in a bed confuses him in relation to what the household hierarchy is, then you run the risk of his defending territory that he believes is his when it is not.

You don't even know what the message is.

All of the dog breeds that my family has owned in my lifetime - never once did I worry about confusing the dog on what the household hierarchy is.

Then again I never owned a pit bull where I would have to worry that if I confused a dog that it may KILL me.

If you love the breed of a pit bull so much that you buy one and have young children in your house then you have a messed up understanding of priorities.

No more than you do when soccer mom takes that brand new SUV to pick up the kids from school, then doing 90 down the interstate, ordering pizza on the cell, and flipping the thing over because she swerved to miss a car that was on the side of the road.

Our children are at risk as a result of a lot of things that we do as adults. That being said, I agree with the point that most if not all of you would pass on getting a pit or similar breed, especially if you have kids. I probably wouldn't get one either. But at the same time as that child gets older I have no problem with it.

The kid attacked in this story wasn't the owner's kid. The owners didn't have kids. The discussion is why do they get a bad rep?

Because of bad owners.

Moral of the story?

Stay away from stoopid peoples

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

When a German Shepherd attacks how will you hear about it? The news will not cover it. When a Pit attacks they are all over it. Thats my point.

Kind of how Eagles fans get plastered on national news for incidents that if it happened in another city wouldn't make the news at all.

I've taken care of probably around 5-6 dog bite victims over the years with critical or deforming type injuries. All them have been inflicted by pit bulls. I know people love their animals and I respect that, but it only takes one incident to kill or maim. That is a risk that you cannot take as a parent IMO, and I will not allow my child to visit anyone's home that owns a pit, rottweiler, doberman, etc. FWIW the last two bites I've seen have been facial bites with massive damage and deformity, and both were the first time either dog had ever attacked and both incidents were non-provoked. One was a 6yo girl and the other a 16yo boy who was the dogs owner.

Why take the chance? The safety of your children and your loved ones trumps any love you may have for a pet.

Good info here. :wacko:

Carry on.

Kind of how Eagles fans get plastered on national news for incidents that if it happened in another city wouldn't make the news at all.

Yeah, you guys are innocent victims of an unfounded media conspiracy. :wacko:

Ohh, the irony...

No more than you do when soccer mom takes that brand new SUV to pick up the kids from school, then doing 90 down the interstate, ordering pizza on the cell, and flipping the thing over because she swerved to miss a car that was on the side of the road.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

When I read his idiotic comment about the soccer moms I started to write something but could not find the right words to tell him he was a moron for that statement. Well said.

Certainly those actions by the "soccer mom" are unconscionable and not the actions of a responsible parent. I fail to see how that has anything to do with the unconscionable actions of parents that put their children in peril by owning pit bulls.

Our children are at risk as a result of a lot of things that we do as adults. That being said, I agree with the point that most if not all of you would pass on getting a pit or similar breed, especially if you have kids. I probably wouldn't get one either. But at the same time as that child gets older I have no problem with it.

The kid attacked in this story wasn't the owner's kid. The owners didn't have kids. The discussion is why do they get a bad rep?

Because of bad owners.

Moral of the story?

Stay away from stoopid peoples

I'm not sure exactly how you think my children are at risk "as a result of lots of things I do as an adult" ... please expound. It is obvious that you do not have children. Once you become a parent your life focus shifts (or it should if you are a responsible parent) ... it is no longer about you but all about your child.

I suppose the owner of a pit bull can take small solace from the fact that their pit didn't kill their own child but killed the neighbor's child :wacko:

Actually he was pointing out, quite coherently I might add, that many of the decisions that we make in our day to day lives COULD have fatal consequences to our children.

To all the posters that say if you have a pitbull and children you are an idiot. I answer that if you have children and a car, household cleaning products, plastic bags, buckets, pillows, glassware etc you too are an idiot. These. like pitbulls, are all all things that we can very well do without but that we chose to have out of convenience despite the proven danger they cause to our children (I am guessing that all of the above have a higher death rate in regards to children than pitbulls)

I acknowledge that having a pitbull in the same house as my child increases the chances of harm to my child. That factor is tiny enough that I feel OK with it seeing all the pleasure and learning that it has brought to my son (who at 14 months still does not say mama or dada or anything except 'doggy'). I am guessing that ingested household products that are 'always kept in a safe place' get inadvertently left out and ingested way more than the pitbull that is 'such a good dog' suddenly goes off.

To all the posters that say if you have a pitbull and children you are an idiot. I answer that if you have children and a car, household cleaning products, plastic bags, buckets, pillows, glassware etc you too are an idiot. These. like pitbulls, are all all things that we can very well do without but that we chose to have out of convenience despite the proven danger they cause to our children (I am guessing that all of the above have a higher death rate in regards to children than pitbulls)

"Why This Is Dumb" by Caveman_Nick

None of those things have the free will to step right up and bite your child's face off.

The End.

"Why This Is Dumb" by Caveman_Nick

None of those things have the free will to step right up and bite your child's face off.

The End.

Though that's a really cute post, it has absolutely nothing to do with the argument at hand. But if you want to play it that way fine:

Any parent who leaves his child with a nanny, a babysitter, friend or a relative is an absolute moron.

These people have the free will to rape your son or daughter.

And I am sure that child abuse, especially by someone close to the family, happens a lot more than pitbull attacks.

I beleive that that is game, set, match on that counterargument. If you would like to address the original argument be my guest

Though that's a really cute post, it has absolutely nothing to do with the argument at hand. But if you want to play it that way fine:

Any parent who leaves his child with a nanny, a babysitter, friend or a relative is an absolute moron.

And I am sure that child abuse, especially by someone close to the family, happens a lot more than pitbull attacks.

I beleive that that is game, set, match on that counterargument. If you would like to address the original argument be my guest

Oh my god!!! :wacko:

Sac, that's not game set and match. There is not comparison as to how human relative/friend will act and how a dog will conduct itself. Your point is downright silly.

I don't get it. :wacko:

Because it appears that you're on record as saying that pits are a victim of media witch hunts. Yet, you find it laughable that somebody would take issue with an entire city's fans being painted with a broad brush and yet are prepared to ignore data that supports the fact that pits are among the most dangerous breeds.

Now, I'm not denying that a ton of this has to do with how they're raised, but it's not through some freak coincidence that pits and not, say golden retrievers are the dog of choice for those who want an attack dog. Oh, and BTW, I'm not inclined to single out pits. I have concerns about rots and other "protection" dogs as well. After all, if you think about it, we should be more concerned with dog ownership than gun ownership. Both can/are loaded and lethal weapons. Only, a gun can't decide to shoot someone. If it is owned by a well meaning and careful person, it may never kill or attack anyone. The same can't be said for many dogs.

It should also be noted that you quite simply cannot blame the Mike Vicks of the world for the numbers being skewed. Like I've mentioned before, I used to have roommate who owned a Rot. He bought it from a reputable breeder. He joined a reputable club and went through shutzen (sp?) training with it. He wanted the dog to protect him and his family and wanted to do it the "right" way. Thing is, the dog is not a machine. You can train it do whatever you want but it is ultimately up to the dog. That freaking thing was a loaded weapon and we had to lock it up every time anyone came over. It was a real shock to me because I've had dogs most of my life and quite simply didn't have to worry about anything major. You had company over? No problem, worst thing they did was grab a slimy ball and pester them to play fetch. Not this dog. Thing is, all the precautions were ultimately not enough as the thing ended up attacking his wife once. Fortunately, it was nowhere near as bad as the earlier story of the kid and the face, but what the hell? You just can't have that.

Those here who say it's fine to own pits are quick to explain the very specific and demanding fashion that they need to be raised. Well, I'm sorry, but I see how lazy and stupid my fellow man can be and perhaps I'm not prepared to believe that all of them who choose to own these breeds are doing everything exactly the right way. In fact, I am nearly certain that most have no freaking idea what they're doing. Now, if that same idiot owns another breed, the consequences just aren't going to be as bad. Take my dogs, before wherethefugowie could train my dogs to be lethal (as he says he could), he'd have to train them to not roll over on their back and look for a belly rub the second you walk up to them. He'd have to train one of them to not find the first shoe or stuffed animal we have laying around the house and present it to you as a gift. There's a long way to go to turn these guys into attack dogs, let me assure you.

The thing about pits or rots or other protection dogs is that people want it both ways. They want a lovable pet (hopefully) but also want something that's capable of ripping your head off if you break into their house. I think that's a dangerous wish. I don't think anyone here would every confuse me as a gun advocate, but I endorse having a normal dog as a pet and a piece in your bedroom long before you look for a living creature with a very limited mental capacity to handle both jobs.

Oh and amen to the soccer mom insanity. One of the most tired arguments is to point out another stupid thing people do to justify something else.

Actually he was pointing out, quite coherently I might add, that many of the decisions that we make in our day to day lives COULD have fatal consequences to our children.

I acknowledge that having a pitbull in the same house as my child increases the chances of harm to my child. That factor is tiny enough that I feel OK with it seeing all the pleasure and learning that it has brought to my son (who at 14 months still does not say mama or dada or anything except 'doggy'). I am guessing that ingested household products that are 'always kept in a safe place' get inadvertently left out and ingested way more than the pitbull that is 'such a good dog' suddenly goes off.

Are you really arguing that because children are exposed to a variety of other risks that this some how mitigates the risk they face when they are around pit bulls? Is that what you are saying?

All the "dangers" you mentioned I can control. When I park the car in my driveway I don't have to be concerned that it might decide to run over my child. When I leave the cleaner on the counter I don't have to worry that it might decide to poor itself down my child's throat. I don't have to worry about inanimate objects deciding to harm my child. I do have to take precautions with those things and I have to teach my child the danger of each of those objects.

As to the baby sitter, nanny, etc ... that is why you don't leave your child with somebody you don't know or for whom you have excellent references.

When it comes to pit bulls ... I can raise one with an iron fist and be the unquestioned alpha male ... but there is ALWAYS the risk that the pit bull over reacts in some fashion and harms my child, who is NOT the alpha. I can't execise control over the pit 100% of the time and I am absolutely NOT interested in having a dog which I feel can not be with my child unsupervised.

It sounds to me like you aren't a parent either.

Edited by Grits and Shins