[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Grey Goose Substitute

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think GG came in last on the 20/20 taste test that included a bunch of premium brands and Smirnoff.

I never really drink straight vodka, but if I did I'd probably choose Ketel One or Skyy. If I'm drinking it with a mixer, the house stuff is fine with me. I don't see the point in paying for premium brands when your mixing it with tonic or juice.

I haven't met many vodkas that I don't like. I don't even mind a lot of well vodkas. I drank a lot of Relski and Popov in college. The only one that causes an instant gag reflex for me is Absolut. :wacko: My favorite is always Stoli. Very smooth. Give that a try.

Isn't Chopin a potato vodka? It's been a while, but I don't think it's remotely similar enough to the OP's request of a GG substitute?

Did the OP ask for something that tastes the same or just as good. Mind you, I think it costs about as much so perhaps doesn't make the cut based on that.

Edited by detlef

That's his call to make, but I think if something doesn't taste similar, then we should say as such so the OP can make an informed decision.

To me, GG compared to Chopin is like comparing whiskey from Canada to Scotland. Yeah, both whiskey, but I hate one while I love the other, so it's not really gonna help.

I'm not trying to be difficult, just sayin'.

PS: I love both Chopin and GG, but we get discounts on Ketel and Hangar, so that's what we drink.

Do a search on Chopin and you'll see that it ranks considerably higher on taste than most vodkas listed already.

Edited by twiley

Potato vodkas have never been as well-received as their grain-based competitors, but Chopin—which appeared on the American market in 1997—should go a long way toward changing their lowbrow reputation. It's the smoothest vodka we tried, with a slight oiliness (specific to potato vodkas) that cut beautifully against the briny funk of black caviar and held its own against the thickest black bread I'd been able to find. We found Chopin itself to be "slightly sweet" and "well-rounded" with "perhaps a hint of apple." Chopin also had a "medium-length, pleasing burn," but "very little aftertaste—it's remarkably clean."

GG is very very very smooth; Ketel IMO had a stiffer bite. I would think Finlandia would be a nice "GG substitute", while Smirnoff would be a good "GG alternative" . . . if that makes any sense.

Peace

policy

Totally not the point.

I think you're missing the point. He wanted a cheaper vodka that tasted better if not equal to GG. GG is overrated - plain and simple. I don't think his wife is going to care if the vodka was made from corn , potato, or semen as long as it tasted good with her appletinis. Chopin is more expensive but as you can see in my post I was just listing what I currently have in stock and what I prefer.

A few notes from a 20/20 interview:

Finally, the moment of truth. Klemm revealed that vodka No. 1 — the group’s least favorite — was Grey Goose. Everyone was flabbergasted.

"No way!!!" said Freeland.

"I can’t believe that!" exclaimed Kay. "I mean I’m really very loyal to it. And I just totally dismissed it."

"I’m shocked," said Gliksman. "I really am shocked, because it was bad."

"I guess that says something about the marketing then, doesn’t it?" said DeGroff. "They’re not relying heavily on their taste buds. They’re relying more heavily on the perceived value, or the status."

There wasn’t a hands-down favorite vodka for the testers, but two did stand out: Hangar One at $35 a bottle and Belvedere at $32 a bottle.

Edited by twiley

Admitedly I am not a hugh vodka drinker. But I read somewhere that those tests were somewhat biased as some vokda's flavor come out when chilled vs others that have a better flavor at room temp. That challenge was at room temp. Drink for thought anyway.

Admitedly I am not a hugh vodka drinker. But I read somewhere that those tests were somewhat biased as some vokda's flavor come out when chilled vs others that have a better flavor at room temp. That challenge was at room temp. Drink for thought anyway.

Good point.

I've had many vodkas at various temps and they all taste different depending on how warm or cold they are. I had a Russian vodka that was as warm as a hot cup of coffee once and it was amazing.

Well the specific cause of the question at hand was that I'd been making her GG and olive juice martinis (very chilled) and we ran out of the goose. So I switched to the other two choices in the cabinet which were Svedka and Three Olives. Neither worked well in that format as both of them had quite a bite compared to the Grey Goose but I imagine there to be something out there that will work just fine...