[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Early Rookie LB Reports?

Anyone got reports on how the big rookie LB's are doing in OTA's?

I read something that said Dizon wasn't in the starting lineup just yet. Paris Lenon is still the starting MLB for OTAs.

ETA: Source is Rotoworld: "Lions coach Rod Marinelli reportedly plans to leave Paris Lenon at middle linebacker at least until the start of training camp. Marinelli is apparently in no rush because he wants Jordon Dizon to feel "comfortable" before moving him inside. Middle linebacker is quite possibly the most important position in the Tampa 2 scheme Marinelli runs. Still, letting Dizon take his lumps would sound like a better idea to us."

I also read good things about Rivers' preparation and attitude so far.

ETA: Source is ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=3420097

Anyone heard anything about Lofton yet?

Edited by Sturphy

I read something that said Dizon wasn't in the starting lineup just yet. Paris Lenon is still the starting MLB for OTAs.

ETA: Source is Rotoworld: "Lions coach Rod Marinelli reportedly plans to leave Paris Lenon at middle linebacker at least until the start of training camp. Marinelli is apparently in no rush because he wants Jordon Dizon to feel "comfortable" before moving him inside. Middle linebacker is quite possibly the most important position in the Tampa 2 scheme Marinelli runs. Still, letting Dizon take his lumps would sound like a better idea to us."

Rumor had it leading up to the draft that if the Lions took Mayo, Marinelli would want to start him on the strong side for his rookie year and then move him into the middle. Rumor had it immediately after the draft that Marinelli still wanted to play it safe with Dizon but Millen wanted him immediately plugged in as the starter.

FWIW, the Lions opened OTAs with all returning veteran starters still starting over any and all new acquisitions, regardless of percieved talent level or probable place on the depth chart by Week 1--Travis Fisher was starting over Leigh Bodden, for example.

Peace

policy

Rumor had it leading up to the draft that if the Lions took Mayo, Marinelli would want to start him on the strong side for his rookie year and then move him into the middle. Rumor had it immediately after the draft that Marinelli still wanted to play it safe with Dizon but Millen wanted him immediately plugged in as the starter.

FWIW, the Lions opened OTAs with all returning veteran starters still starting over any and all new acquisitions, regardless of percieved talent level or probable place on the depth chart by Week 1--Travis Fisher was starting over Leigh Bodden, for example.

Peace

policy

Why is Stanley Wilson not going to be the starter if health? He had a knee injury last season...he had worked his way to a starting position and then gets hurt...now he has two people ahead of him on the depth chart...I dont understand!

Why is Stanley Wilson not going to be the starter if health? He had a knee injury last season...he had worked his way to a starting position and then gets hurt...now he has two people ahead of him on the depth chart...I dont understand!

Wilson's a third round pick entering his fourth year--he should be a well-rounded starter by now, but he's been a guy with raw speed and not much else the entire time. He got a chance to show what he could do last year and didn't show much. He's not a solid starter and probably won't ever be. Moreover, he was drafted before the Lions installed the T2 and he's basically got exactly the wrong toolset for this defense . . . he's supposed to keep plays in front of him, jam recievers at the line, and contribute in run support--but he's best at keeping pace with wideouts on deep fly and go routes.

The Lions were (correctly) overhauled their secondary by releasing Bryant, trading for Bodden, signing Brian Kelly and CB/S Dwight Smith. Between Bodden, Kelly, Fisher, Keith Smith, a smattering of other scrubs/STers, and Dwight Smith possibly rolling over to corner when both young safties are on the field, WIlson might have to fight to make the roster.

Peace

policy

The Lions were (correctly) overhauled their secondary

This should have said something like "the Lions were correct to overhaul . . ." or "The Lions (correctly) thought they needed to overhaul . . ." etc.

Peace

policy

• 2 weeks later...
Besides Rivers, Lofton and Mayo, yes

I always target the MLBs, which seems like good basic strategy.

Rivers and Lofton are working out at WLB. Mayo is playing the Seau LILB position this year, which isn't necessarily studly in NE.

Dizon is going to be MLB in the Tampa2, which nets more points. Lenon did 14 ppg in it last year, and Dizon is faster. (fast = good in Tampa2, right?)

Rivers and Lofton are working out at WLB. Mayo is playing the Seau LILB position this year, which isn't necessarily studly in NE.

Dizon is going to be MLB in the Tampa2, which nets more points. Lenon did 14 ppg in it last year, and Dizon is faster. (fast = good in Tampa2, right?)

speed is a big part of being a MLB in a Tampa 2 or Cover 2 D....reason being is that the MLB is responsible for the deep middle of the field in coverage

which is also the reason why the WLB is usually the better producer in the T2 or C2 defense.

Edited by keggerz

speed is a big part of being a MLB in a Tampa 2 or Cover 2 D....reason being is that the MLB is responsible for the deep middle of the field in coverage

which is also the reason why the WLB is usually the better producer in the T2 or C2 defense.

Well then, shine my shoes.

I still say that if Paris Lenon could pop 220 (Fusion scoring) that Dizon could do the same.

Well then, shine my shoes.

I still say that if Paris Lenon could pop 220 (Fusion scoring) that Dizon could do the same.

he absolutely can but what he most likely wont do is score better then simms

Rivers and Lofton will both end up in the middle soon enough. One is the best LB in Cincy and as soon as he knows the calls he'll be there. Dhani Jones is not the answer. Brooking will slide back over to WILL in ATL once Lofton is ready.

Willis and Harris pretty much blew the theory about non-productive ILBs in 3-4s.

And I agree with Keg on Dizon but I'd rather have Lofton or Rivers, Mayo is a wash IMO.

Don't forget about Bell....with Andra declining....if he were to get injured....then Bell has the start and more playing time....and that kid is good too.

don't sleep on Leon Williams....my money is on him to be the starter this year...even with some of the not so good reports that have come out of camp

• 2 weeks later...
Rivers and Lofton will both end up in the middle soon enough. One is the best LB in Cincy and as soon as he knows the calls he'll be there. Dhani Jones is not the answer. Brooking will slide back over to WILL in ATL once Lofton is ready.

Willis and Harris pretty much blew the theory about non-productive ILBs in 3-4s.

And I agree with Keg on Dizon but I'd rather have Lofton or Rivers, Mayo is a wash IMO.

That's where Brooking has always wanted to be.

I'll be very surprised if Rivers ends up in the middle. He never played MLB in college and he's a totally natural WLB.