[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

There is a batch of homebrew....

rhippens

Spent most of the day (took a break to watch the son play soccer) brewing dubbel, oatmeal stout, and schwartzbier for another co-op brew session with the neighbors. 10 gallons of each. It's nice having all the equipment and labor to knock out so much beer in one setting. Fun, day and the 10 gallons of oatmeal stout in my pantry is already fermenting away nicely as I used the local breweries ale yeast in a well oxygenated batch.

Wow....the dubbel is one of the best beers I've ever home-brewed. It's dangerous having an absolutely delicious Chimay Red clone in a keg. I hope I can duplicate this in future batches.

The oatmeal stout is tasty but the darker grains take over a bit too much on the flavor profile. The schwartbier is in 2ndary fermentors, in a temperature controlled chest cooler.

:wacko:

• 2 months later...

I've just recently gotten into homebrewing with a college buddy who just moved back to town. We have done about 8 batches so far and try to brew every 2 weeks. I already had a fridge converted to a keggerator but had specifically avoided brewing because I knew I would be addicted until he talked me into it. Well, I am. Such a fun hobby and great beer!

Tonight we bottled a winter ale using a counter pressure filler for the first time in hopes of storing them for a couple of years in my friend's wine cellar to enjoy each year when we brew a new batch. At the same time we were drinking a modified Bell's 2 hearted clone where we upped the hops and the caramel malt steeping grains that made a fabulous beer.

We are thinking of doing a lager for our next one. We would ferment primary and secondary in his wine cellar at around 50 degrees and then transfer to a new freezer with temperature control to lager at around 34 degrees. Any hints or tips?

We are doing our best to ease into this but it's so much fun and the beer is so good we keep getting more and more into it all the time. So far we are still extract only with some steeping grains but I can see the inevitable trend toward full grain. We both have young kids and busy lives so it is sort of hard to fit in sometimes but definitely worth the effort!

• 2 weeks later...