[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sunday ticket

Sam

I just cancelled mine as well.

When I called they offered my $5 off for 3 months (for a whopping $15), I declined. They offered Showtime free for 3 months, I declined.

I just can't justify the cost any more - the Cowboys are never blacked out and last year there was at least 4 Sundays where I was at a baseball game.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what about those of us that just let it ride every year? I'd rather pay the full price and get the free Superfan than pay $20 less and not get it. Maybe I should pick up the phone and threaten to drop it. Maybe they'll give me Superfan for free trying to hook me for next year.

You need to immediately ask for customer retention. They will get you the break. The first few layers of knuckleheads have the ability to offer the free Showtime, but you need to get to customer retention to get the real deal.

You need to immediately ask for customer retention. They will get you the break. The first few layers of knuckleheads have the ability to offer the free Showtime, but you need to get to customer retention to get the real deal.

Didn't want any freebies ... I decided that $250 was too much to pay for a service I was not utilizing all season long. It was becoming pricey even if I was able to partake every Sunday.

Excellent advice -- I've found this to be the case with plenty of other monthly-service companies. I tried to cancel my Sprint cell phone service a few months ago, and now I'm getting the best deal I've ever heard of. :wacko:

I'll be placing my call to DirecTV's customer retention department in the next week or so.

I have DirecTV and get regular emails from them:

The early discount gives you a savings of $20, but it includes a free Super Fan package.

So if you are on the fence about getting it, the cost is five payments of $53.80 and you DO get the SF package for free, including the Red Zone channel and the games in HD (I believe).

I'm guessing not everyone gets this deal; I had Sunday Ticket last year, have been an on-time paying customer for over a year, but never got this offer. In fact, the offer I just received last week is for the regular price, no deals.

After seeing this thread and noticing my first payment had went through, i decided to make my yearly call to get all the free crap. Last year I got, free movie channels, and I think 10 bucks off for 6 months while paying 220ish with free superfan. So I went straight to customer retetion with my poker face and claimed it was a little too expensive for me this year. Lady explained like the post above that returning customers pay 249 (instead of 269) plus free superfan (99). I said, no thanks, please cancel. NOT A SINGLE OFFER! She just said hold please while i process. She called my bluff with Aces, I had 2-4 off suit. Now i hope they call back and beg me to comeback. Usually with any directv offer (not just ticket), they throw all the free stuff at you if you say want to cancel. O well. And just to add about the superfan, the REDZONE channel is the best thing ever invented. PERIOD. Plus plugging in all of your 1pm starters is great. You can just sit back and relax and feel like you watched all the games. Awesome.

I called customer retention hoping they would work with me. Nothing doing. I tried again Saturday....nope. They wouldn't budge. The more I thought about not being able to watch the Steelers every weekend the more I regretted canceling it. I called customer retention 1 more time trying to get some sort of deal. The most she could offer me was the superfan package for free. I took it and paid the $250. I may try again closer to the season but I'm thinking they'll be less likely to give me any sort of deals since I'll have started paying for it by then.

Directv has us by the ball sack and we just have to pay it :D

Been a subscriber for 5 years, not doing it this year, with the HD package it's too flippin' expensive. As much as it pains me, looks like I'll be watching the Jets and Giants this season. :wacko:

Funny, the main reason I went to DirectTV is because the cable company monopolized the industry for years and could charge whatever the hell they wanted, so I swore those guys off, now DirectTV is doing the same thing. :D

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Been a subscriber for 5 years, not doing it this year, with the HD package it's too flippin' expensive. As much as it pains me, looks like I'll be watching the Jets and Giants this season. :wacko:

Funny, the main reason I went to DirectTV is because the cable company monopolized the industry for years and could charge whatever the hell they wanted, so I swore those guys off, now DirectTV is doing the same thing. :D

It is SOO expensive but all my buddies come over my house and we scroll through everygame... this year I might actually have to ask them to divide the cost (maybe like 4 way) so we can keep it alive. If they dont wanna do it then I will cancel it.

I called yesterday to cancel as well. Told the CSR it was too expensive for me, hoping maybe she would counter-offer. Nope. She said "OK let me take care of this for you" and just like that I was un-subscribed.

I have some friends that sort of "cheat" the system. One person subscribed to Directv, and then handed out two of his receivers to his buddies (who each already had a directv dish but cancelled their subscriptions). They now just split the bill three ways and everyone (at least the three of them) wins.

Just got off the phone, after reading this thread decided to try n beat em down a bit. Already had the ticket at the renewal rate of 249. or 6 payments of 41.50 , I told them I wanted to add the SF for the split screen feature but couldn't swing the extra 100., and was considering canceling and going to the bar instead. She came back n offered me 10$ off for 6 mo or 39$ total for the SF package.

249. + 39.= 288. :wacko: A little better than the 369. they try to get. :D Red zone channel this yr! woo hoo !!!!

called DTV to ask if there was anything they could do about my monthly bill, did not say anything about ST or SF. I got $10 off a month for 12 months and an instant $200 credit to my account. just thought I would pass along.

what exactly did you say?

Last year I got free superfan but after reading this thread I am thinking it may be unlikely.

I'm surprised that they allowed some of you to cancel so easily!! I mean how can they justify losing revenue forever (theoretically) vs. dropping $100 or so from the ticket? Either they are noob employees or they can afford the loss? It just doesn't make sense to me.

what exactly did you say?

Last year I got free superfan but after reading this thread I am thinking it may be unlikely.

i just said I was looking to cut back on monthly bills and comcast was cheaper, asked what can you do for a long time customer

They realize most the people calling were bluffing. I've had it 10 years, I'll pay whatever they want to keep the chiefs and cowboys off my tv. :wacko:

I guarantee H8 is pretty much accurate. With the little bit of marketing experience I have, I'd be willing to bet that they purposely reduced the overall cost of Sunday Ticket specifically so they could have the "leverage" with customers who call and demand discounts.

After reading so many similar experiences by Huddlers in this thread, it's clear that even the retention department employees have been trained not to budge much on the "already discounted" ST price. Of course, they're much more free to dispense other services instead of sacrificing actual money.

DirecTV has to know that most people who call and complain are like us -- diehard NFL fans who love the ST and would much rather not go back to living without it. :D

So let me get this straight, the Superfan package is free for returning customers this year? Where is that advertised, that alone makes it worth it for me.

They're not advertising it as free. If you call and threaten to cancel, they may or may not offer it to you for free.

I have DirecTV and get regular emails from them:

The early discount gives you a savings of $20, but it includes a free Super Fan package.

So if you are on the fence about getting it, the cost is five payments of $53.80 and you DO get the SF package for free, including the Red Zone channel and the games in HD (I believe).

PSU, what kind of programing package do you have , & how long have you been a ticket subscriber?? I'm curious as to why some customers get the offer for free SF and some dont.