[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OSU vs USC

sacosud

Wow.

For starters, last year, they didn't beat every team they played. They lost to an Illinois team that was completely out-classed by USC in the Rose Bowl. And, yes, Michigan's win over FL was a nice win to be sure, but something that 3 other teams also managed to do that year. None the less, this is the same Michigan team that lost to a D-1AA school, was throttled by OU, and lost by 2+ TDs to a Wisc team that was good, I suppose, but hardly great.

I understand that you can only beat who's in front of you. However, you can't seriously say that OSU's body of work in 2007 was any more impressive than a few other schools. If some team besides OSU was sitting there with one loss but hadn't beaten a single team in the top 20, we would have dismissed them on that basis. However, it's OSU, so they get a free pass. That's really all I'm saying. That's what I mean by coasting on reputation. Obviously they had to win the games but they did get a free pass on a schedule that would have kept a "lesser" program out of the title game even if that team was undefeated.

Thats a nice theory detlef if not for the fact that Ohio State was the ONLY team worthy of consideration that actually HAD only 1 loss. You can't just change the rules on the fly. The debate wasn't who was going to face LSU. The debate was who was going to face Ohio State. You can argue that Ohio State had an easy road, but they still played in a BCS conference (down or not) against a division 1 schedule that was made years before it. So yes, considering they are the ONLY team to get through with only 1 loss and every other team in the discussion had 2 losses, I believe they did get in on their body of work. Everyone knew that for Ohio State to even have a shot at the NC game, they would have to be one game better than everyone else. They won their conference, something Georgia didn't do (I have no sympathy for those that can't take care of business). You can't cherrypick. At the beginning of the season, you can't just say, well because Ohio State got destroyed by Florida in the PREVIOUS YEAR, and because I arbitrarily say that their schedule that they made 7 years ago stinks, and because on paper the Big Ten will be down, take the BIg Ten out of the BCS, and Ohio State has to be at least 2 games better than everyone else to be in it. It's not rep. Rep would be 2004, when Oklahoma and USC play for the NC, and Auburn gets left out, despite all 3 teams having undefeated squads. THAT'S rep. Rep isn't when you have 1 loss, and every other team has 2 losses.

Wildcat, yes this has been beat to death. The Big Ten has been down the last 2 years. These things are called cycles. Every conference goes through them. Pac 10 went through them in the 90's when the Big Ten would dominate every year in the Rose Bowl. The Big Ten was a top 2 conference for the majority of the late 90's and early 00's. Now they aren't. Whose to say that won't change THIS year? Cycles happen. I'll say the same thing this year as I did last year. Until games start getting played on the field, I'm not going to suggest that they will again be down in 2008.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right, I'm not allowed to change the rules for who plays in the BCS championship game. However, I am allowed to think that the BCS is a crock and fails to deliver the two best teams in the country. I am also thusly allowed to not be all that impressed by a team that has parlayed a shoddy OOC schedule and a play in a conference that is not as good as historically perceived to make this game that I find to be somewhat of a farce only to have their asses handed to them both times.

That is literally all I am saying.

Perhaps I got carried away and said that they didn't deserve to play in the BCS championship last year. They most certainly did. They had the best record of all teams that were champions of BCS conferences. Fair enough. Mind you, I did find it interesting that Hawaii wasn't even getting a sniff despite going undefeated, having it's best OOC win against the same team that was OSU's best conference win and, unlike OSU, actually having a win against a top 20 team on their resume.

Now, that doesn't mean that I think Hawaii is as good a team as OSU, but that pretty much speaks to my theory on OSU getting there on rep. That's really it.

What happens if OSU rolls into USC and takes home the "W" ? I happen to think they will.

Will this mean the Big 10 is up and Pac10 is down ?

Well, assuming that USC doesn't go on to lose 3-4 games, this will mean that OSU is finally as good as advertised. However, if USC does tank and/or OSU gets bitch-slapped once again in the NC game, then I suppose it will be business as usual.

It doesn't take a hater to realize this. Just anyone who's not a myopic fool.

Edited by detlef

Well, assuming that USC doesn't go on to lose 3-4 games, this will mean that OSU is finally as good as advertised. However, if USC does tank and/or OSU gets bitch-slapped once again in the NC game, then I suppose it will be business as usual.

It doesn't take a hater to realize this. Just anyone who's not a myopic fool.

So if OSU goes into SC and beats the #1 or #2 ranked team their relevance relies on USC's record and not their own merit. You judge by past years and uncontrolables.

It doesnt take a myopic fool to recongnize a hater.

What happens if OSU rolls into USC and takes home the "W" ? I happen to think they will.

Will this mean the Big 10 is up and Pac10 is down ?

Damn TOS I take you off ignore, and this is the best you can come up with?? such a midwest simpleton

yer right on the money - 1+1=2 and if OSU rolls USC than yes, the Little 11 is the best and the Pac 10 sucks - excellent work.

So if OSU goes into SC and beats the #1 or #2 ranked team their relevance relies on USC's record and not their own merit. You judge by past years and uncontrolables.

It doesnt take a myopic fool to recongnize a hater.

Dude, like Bryan says, it means OSU is better than USC. However, if it just so happens that USC is undeserving of their preseason high ranking, then why does it mean that much? It just like last year, everyone makes a big deal about App St. beating "the #5 team in the country". Says who? A bunch of guys looked at the players and voted that they're the 5th best. Big freaking deal! I'm pretty sure there was a team that started the season out #30 or so and ended up ahead of Michigan. Had App St. beaten that team, it wouldn't have made near the headlines. But no, they beat a team that we thought would be great and turned out to be merely good. You wanna talk about judging on "past years and uncontrolables"?

Of course, knowing you guys, OSU could beat USC, then USC could go on to lose 3 more times and we'll still be hearing how "they beat the #2 team in the country". The simple fact is, that won't be true, now will it. That's really all I'm saying.

So, answer me this. If USC goes 8-4 this year, did the pollsters get it right when they gave them a preseason #2? Is their actual body of work less important than what a bunch of guys thought they would do? Can every team that beat USC still claim that they beat the #2 team in the country? Will or will not the relevance of those victories be tied to how good USC actually turned out to be rather than how good we thought they'd be?

Dude, like Bryan says, it means OSU is better than USC. However, if it just so happens that USC is undeserving of their preseason high ranking, then why does it mean that much? It just like last year, everyone makes a big deal about App St. beating "the #5 team in the country". Says who? A bunch of guys looked at the players and voted that they're the 5th best. Big freaking deal! I'm pretty sure there was a team that started the season out #30 or so and ended up ahead of Michigan. Had App St. beaten that team, it wouldn't have made near the headlines. But no, they beat a team that we thought would be great and turned out to be merely good. You wanna talk about judging on "past years and uncontrolables"?

Of course, knowing you guys, OSU could beat USC, then USC could go on to lose 3 more times and we'll still be hearing how "they beat the #2 team in the country". The simple fact is, that won't be true, now will it. That's really all I'm saying.

So, answer me this. If USC goes 8-4 this year, did the pollsters get it right when they gave them a preseason #2? Is their actual body of work less important than what a bunch of guys thought they would do? Can every team that beat USC still claim that they beat the #2 team in the country? Will or will not the relevance of those victories be tied to how good USC actually turned out to be rather than how good we thought they'd be?

Which is why preseason polls are the #1 problem with the BCS. The very fact that Georgia and USC have a better chance at winning it all right now here in August is what is wrong with the BCS. Why is that? They are both 0-0 right now arent they? It's just ridicoulous.

Which is why preseason polls are the #1 problem with the BCS. The very fact that Georgia and USC have a better chance at winning it all right now here in August is what is wrong with the BCS. Why is that? They are both 0-0 right now arent they? It's just ridicoulous.

werd

this has been beat to death by me, Brian, Det, OSU and all the other college football fans, so why not one more round across the bow of the Little 11 :wacko:

the Little 11 is down, and has been for a few years. I watch A TON of college football and week in and week out the level of play and talent in the L 11 is not on par with the SEC or Pac 10. it just isn't. I am not a Big Ten hater either- I think a few years back it was very strong top to bottom, and I gave them their props.

not sure of the reasons, maybe warm weather schools are out-recruiting the rust belt - maybe these things are cyclical, I dunno but it is pretty effin obvious.......

the Pac 10 gets hated on for being USC and the little 11 - I can tell you that while USC has dummied the rest of the country under Carroll, they have lost more games and had their toughest tests in conference. NOW, I realize conference games bring out the best in foes, and they obviously play more conference games but I gurantee USC players and coaches will tell you the same-

I am fired up for an awesome year of NCAA football -

Glad your fired up. I started this post about OSU vs USC and really that's it, BUT I'm fine with some of the comments on here from people out WEST and down South. OSU has to go undeafeated and we are in....THAT's IT.....BECAUSE WE ARE OHIO STATE...say it however you want!!!! Blame the teams and league we play in that works for me.... You win all or go home and I'm okay with that.

The Rose Bowl as the 2nd location is not a bad play for me. I love OSU and will blindly back them no matter what!!!! I'm a homer of a team that has a National Championship in "02" and 3 apperances in the last 5 years and MOST IMPORTANT is the total domination of that team up north ,which is as a OSU fan "THE GAME" before any other game next to a NC. I would take a OSU victory over Michigan over ANY Bowl game except the NC.

It's great to be a Buckeye these days because I remember the 90's and Coop.

Wisconsin and Michigan State worry me some and USC on their field at night...Their home opener...It gets no better....Bring it.

Let me get this out of the way first, I am an OSU fan, but I like Notre Dame more. That being said every week I want to see OSU do well and promote the football talent Ohio produces every year. Now the one thing that bothers me about OSU is the fan base. Not all the fans, Sacosud and plenty of others are good knowledgable fans, but there are more than enough idiots. I think OSU deserved to be in the title game the last two years because no one else proved themselves, def have a problem with scheduling the way they did, but it worked for them-kudos. But, I really have a hard time defending this team beacause:

-They fan out over the radio and internet looking for any perceived slight and go looking for a fight.

-Most are oblivious to anything outside of OSU football. After the Florida game, which most refuse to aknowlege was the better team, no one understood how another team had so much talent. OSU is the only team with talent!

-When talking about football if you fail to mention hating ESPN or that so and so OSU player is the greatest of all time, you get lit up.

-Even though Tress has been exploited for the vanilla game plans and inability to make adjustments, he is the greatest coach in the country.

-Criminals, its okay to laugh at PSU and others for it, but dont you mention the three starters that will be suspended this year.

-Take a look at any Scout.com board and I promise you will find a Buckeye there trashing someone for not being a Buckeye

-Lastly, I am a police officer, it gets old every fall saturday in Columbus. I know there are scum bags everywhere, but the riots and the burning dumpsters are stupid.

After getting that off my chest here is howI see the game playing out.

Offensively tOSU is going to have to jump on the Trojans early. Beanie is a beast but you can not be one demensional against SC, they force you to either run or pass, but never both. Petey may just let Beanie get his yards and hope to score enough offensively to cause problems, like LSU and essentially eliminating him from the game. The Buckeyes bring back four linemen, replacing only RT which happens to be across from pass rushing freak Everson Griffen. Now SC lost some talent on the DLine but they have been on par recruiting wise with LSU and Fla in terms of pass rushing talent. The DLine is most critical because it has enough speed to slant and eliminating need to blitz, allowing SC to play man, which is never played in the Big 10. Can the Buckeye line finally get it together on their third attempt against the best DLine talent in the country? I am saying no on this one. I think if the Bucks are forced to be a running team SC still has a chance because of the two 230lb safeties and all world LBs.

Defensively the Buckeyes need to man up on the SC posession WR. A safety like O'Neal needs to be an OLB to cover McKnight. I really think they need to come out in a 3-3-5 to match up personel wise. I see Petey coming out in four wides all game with Havilli in the backfield for protection or safety routes. Spread them out and run right at them or work McKnight in the slot. It is imperative that Laurinitus and the defensive line get presure early and often. tOSU had 29 total sacks last season, 14 left with VG, so they need to find some help quick or Sanchez/Mustain/Corp are going to have a field day. The Trojan line is young and gained valuable experience while half of the line was out last season, but not enough to stop a Buckeye line when they are on. The Buckeyes can win this battle if they have a def coach that will make adjustments during the game. Physical and disciplined defense will win this game for tOSU.

Pete Carroll is a great big game coach. Look at his OOC schedule and you will see that while Beanie is awesome, Carroll has shut down many backs of the same caliber. Losing to Stanford and UCLA are head scratchers, but make no mistake about it in big games he gets it done, especially at home. Playing this game in the Coliseum is a huge boost for a young Trojan team. I just dont see Vanilla Tress doing enough to win this game.

Trojans 24

tOSU 17

Look, the system sucks and we all know it does. But these are the cards we are dealt with. Ohio State had no business being in the NC game last year. They rebuilt half that team and most of the offense. They just weren't ready for it. But everyone fell in front of them and there they were. The fact is preseason rankings, IMO the worst part of the crappy system, are very relevant. They might not be accurate but the are very relevant.

To answer your question, if USC goes on to loose 4 games the only team that can claim to have beat the #2 is OSU. And yes, if USC goes on to loose 4 games I will still say they beat the #2, because...well simply they were.

To answer your question, if USC goes on to loose 4 games the only team that can claim to have beat the #2 is OSU. And yes, if USC goes on to loose 4 games I will still say they beat the #2, because...well simply they were.

Thanks for making my point. :wacko:

You do understand that all I'm talking about is bragging rights here, don't you? I the court of talking smack, your accomplishments are only worth what people will give you credit for.

Believe me, if OSU runs the table, even if USC turns out to not be all that, I would expect nothing else but to see them in the NC game. That said, I also fully expect some of you jokers to make more of it than it really is if you beat a team that was supposed to be #2 (ie preseason) but really wasn't (assuming that turns out to be the case).

Of course, here's a scenario that's just way too realistic to over look. OSU loses to USC but then rolls through conference play. They don't fall that far due to the loss because it's USC (maybe to 10 or so) and just keep creeping back up as other teams lose. We all know the bit about losing early. Meanwhile, USC trips up twice, once against one of the better Pac 10 teams, once because of their nearly annual brain fart. Hell, maybe they only lose once but it's something ugly at the end of the season like what happened that last two years.

So, now you've got OSU who hasn't beaten anyone great and has a loss to a team who was supposedly one of the best in the country but now has 2 losses. None the less, all you hear about is that OSU's only loss is to "then #2 USC". Meanwhile, you've got WVU who either beat Auburn or that's their only loss plus a Big 12 team and, say UGA or FL.

Nothing will have changed. OSU, once again, will not have beaten a great team all season and once again will be in the catbird seat for the NC game.

Does OSU get the nod over WVU because "they're from a better conference?" How long do they get to keep claiming that?

If it plays out like this and they get spanked again, at what point does this come back to bite them?

Thanks for making my point. :wacko:

You do understand that all I'm talking about is bragging rights here, don't you? I the court of talking smack, your accomplishments are only worth what people will give you credit for.

Believe me, if OSU runs the table, even if USC turns out to not be all that, I would expect nothing else but to see them in the NC game. That said, I also fully expect some of you jokers to make more of it than it really is if you beat a team that was supposed to be #2 (ie preseason) but really wasn't (assuming that turns out to be the case).

Of course, here's a scenario that's just way too realistic to over look. OSU loses to USC but then rolls through conference play. They don't fall that far due to the loss because it's USC (maybe to 10 or so) and just keep creeping back up as other teams lose. We all know the bit about losing early. Meanwhile, USC trips up twice, once against one of the better Pac 10 teams, once because of their nearly annual brain fart. Hell, maybe they only lose once but it's something ugly at the end of the season like what happened that last two years.

So, now you've got OSU who hasn't beaten anyone great and has a loss to a team who was supposedly one of the best in the country but now has 2 losses. None the less, all you hear about is that OSU's only loss is to "then #2 USC". Meanwhile, you've got WVU who either beat Auburn or that's their only loss plus a Big 12 team and, say UGA or FL.

Nothing will have changed. OSU, once again, will not have beaten a great team all season and once again will be in the catbird seat for the NC game.

Does OSU get the nod over WVU because "they're from a better conference?" How long do they get to keep claiming that?

If it plays out like this and they get spanked again, at what point does this come back to bite them?

Thats again assuming that the Big Ten is THAT bad again? It's preseason. No one has even done jumping jacks in pregame warm ups yet. For every bad year there are certain to be some good years where no one thought there would be a good year. I seem to recall a certain National Championship game where no one outside of the state of Florida thought the Gators had any shot vs Ohio State. Oh yeah that was 2 years ago. Why didn't people think they had a shot? Because of assumptions made preseason and during the season.

Every season is different folks. 2007 is over. It's 2008. As for this game? I like USC in a rout. You don't bet against Pete Carroll in non conference play. You have to go back to 2002 to find a regular season loss to anyone outside of the Pac 10, and since then the only team that was able to beat them was Texas, who incidentally, had Super Man at Quarterback to do it.

Believe it or not I sort of like the Buckeyes chances vs. USC. Don't get me wrong I'm not betting my house, however I do feel playing the Trojans early works in Ohio State's favor. The reason I say that is because USC won't necessarily have as much potential speed advantage as they would if they played late in the season.

:wacko: As crazy as that sounds let me try to explain. My theory is that although the Big 10 has the reputation of not being a speed conference no one can tell me that Ohio State doesn't have speed throughout their lineup. The difference is that their opponents aren't typically as fast as some of the other conferences, so they don't get alot of game experience playing against speedy teams once conference play starts. It's one thing to be fast but you also have to learn how to play against teams with equal speed on the perimeter as well.

Can't wait for this game. OSU is the best team to come into the Coliseum in awhile. Trojans will be ready for them. Two great defenses playing against two offenses with decent speed and power. Could come down to special teams and/or one or two big mistakes late.....

Nice to see the pollsters do something right for a change, and reward a team that actually played a legit opponent on the road and win, rather than keep the rankings the same. UGA and Ohio State both beat up on creampuffs, and USC wins big in Charlottesville. Also nice to see teams flat out leave the top 25 after big losses, like Clemson and Tennessee. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

Nice to see the pollsters do something right for a change, and reward a team that actually played a legit opponent on the road and win, rather than keep the rankings the same. UGA and Ohio State both beat up on creampuffs, and USC wins big in Charlottesville. Also nice to see teams flat out leave the top 25 after big losses, like Clemson and Tennessee. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

The question is, will Georgia and Ohio State jump USC (bye week) while playing MAC schools. If your theory is correct they should. Do they deserve to? Probably not.

The question is, will Georgia and Ohio State jump USC (bye week) while playing MAC schools. If your theory is correct they should. Do they deserve to? Probably not.

I don't think it's the same thing. Your ranking should be a reflection on your entire body of work. Thus, the one week where you should absolutely be passed up despite not losing is week one because pre-season rankings are nothing more than a guess. You can't do away with them because the voters are still going to do their own just give themselves a starting point (though they honestly shouldn't). You can't not publish them because people want to argue about who the best team is before the season starts. None the less, the voters owe it to the system to deviate as much as needed once they actually have a real game to go on.

Now, who knows how good UVA is going to be. Based on what I've heard, not very. None the less, enough of the same guys who had OSU and UGA ahead of USC were more impressed by what USC did against guys wearing different uniforms to rethink how they had the top 3. I would hope that would be the norm. That the post week 1 rankings would not at all resemble the preseason ones. Because the preseason ones are essentially useless.

So, based on the evidence at hand, USC appears to be the strongest team in the country. Not playing next week doesn't change that. Losing to OSU the following certainly does just like beating OSU makes it pretty damned clear that they should certainly be #1.

Frankly, I think we should be discussing why Alabama didn't rise further. Did anyone else completely out-class a team that was supposed to be really good? Say what you will about Clemson and/or what pre-season rankings are worth (hell, I've said enough about the second) but Clemson's biggest strength last year was it's running back tandem and Alabama held them to exactly zero yards rushing (well, the whole team at least).