[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sleep Apnea

Jimmy Neutron

Lucky ol' me gets to go sleep at the hospital tonight so they can monitor my sleep. I taped a little monitor to my finger at home a few weeks ago and based on the results of that - they want to do the full blown sleep test.

Anybody done this?

Yes, I snore like a freight train and my wife has been kind enough not to smother me to this point - but she's on the edge some nights. :D

I'm hoping the results are pretty marginal - I don't think I could sleep with one of those c-pap do-hickies. :wacko:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one a couple of years ago... It is not easy falling asleep with all of the wires and stuff attached to you... Took them about 20-30 minutes to attach everything...

Then, after a while they came in and brought a machine that just had a mask to cover my nose...

After about an hour, they came in with a wrap to keep my mouth closed during sleeping to see if that helped...

After another hour, they came in with a full-blown mask to wear...

All of this while still attached to all of the leads and such and trying not to move so they can get accurate readings...

Then at 5am, it was all over... Could take a shower if one was wanted/needed and then it was time to leave...

I had one a couple of years ago... It is not easy falling asleep with all of the wires and stuff attached to you... Took them about 20-30 minutes to attach everything...

Then, after a while they came in and brought a machine that just had a mask to cover my nose...

After about an hour, they came in with a wrap to keep my mouth closed during sleeping to see if that helped...

All of this while still attached to all of the leads and such and trying not to move so they can get accurate readings...

Then at 5am, it was all over... Could take a shower if one was wanted/needed and then it was time to leave...

Sounds like a regular party - thanks for the info. :wacko:

Same process, then, sent me home, reviewed results, said get a cpap, used for one month, slept worse, talked to doc and back to normal operations.

I went as well. One night with wires only. The 2nd with wires and mask. I had a CPAP mask unit @ home and used it every night for a few months, then a few nights/week . . . for the last few months it's been in the closet. The thing with the mask is some nights it fits better than others, for some reason. When I was using it, it was for 4 - 5 hours a night. After using it, when you wake up, it feels like you already have 3 cups of coffee in you!

got it. moderate case.

at the time, was falling asleep when driving. was waking up in a complete sweat from head to toe and the bed was drenched from my sweat. my wife was terrified watching me "sleep".

cpap machine changed me within 3 days. became a completely different person. it was really easy to acclimate to the cpap machine because i wasn't getting ANY sleep. this allowed me to sleep. has not been a hinderence, except is a pain when going on a trip or camping, etc.

losing weight is also HUGH.

good luck. if you have any questions, just ask.

i think i had more ocurrances per hour than Doggy. i think 60 or more per.

Yeah, that overnight study isn't much fun. You don't really sleep very well, so I don't recommend working the next day if you can help it.

I sincerely hope you don't have apnea, because it sucks.

Be sure you are seeing an ENT doc for this. Some of those sleep centers are more about diagnosing for profit than for making you well. Some places, you don't even meet with an MD to talk about your treatment. Seriously. An ENT will consider multiple reasons you could be having apnea (weight, allergies, physiology, to name a few) but a sleep center might just tell you that you need C-PAP.

If you do have to use the C-PAP, I hope it works for you. It works very well for most people, but I was one of the unlucky ones. Stick with it as best you can for a few months - even if you hate it. The surgical solution UPPP has a hellatious recovery and poor success rate.

got it. moderate case.

at the time, was falling asleep when driving. was waking up in a complete sweat from head to toe and the bed was drenched from my sweat. my wife was terrified watching me "sleep".

cpap machine changed me within 3 days. became a completely different person. it was really easy to acclimate to the cpap machine because i wasn't getting ANY sleep. this allowed me to sleep. has not been a hinderence, except is a pain when going on a trip or camping, etc.

losing weight is also HUGH.

good luck. if you have any questions, just ask.

i think i had more ocurrances per hour than Doggy. i think 60 or more per.

Glad to hear you're doing better - thanks for sharing.

Yeah, that overnight study isn't much fun. You don't really sleep very well, so I don't recommend working the next day if you can help it.

I sincerely hope you don't have apnea, because it sucks.

Be sure you are seeing an ENT doc for this. Some of those sleep centers are more about diagnosing for profit than for making you well. Some places, you don't even meet with an MD to talk about your treatment. Seriously. An ENT will consider multiple reasons you could be having apnea (weight, allergies, physiology, to name a few) but a sleep center might just tell you that you need C-PAP.

If you do have to use the C-PAP, I hope it works for you. It works very well for most people, but I was one of the unlucky ones. Stick with it as best you can for a few months - even if you hate it. The surgical solution UPPP has a hellatious recovery and poor success rate.

Thanks for the info. My doc referred me to an ENT and neurologist to see what's going on.

Thanks for the info.

Went thru it about 3 months ago. For the last couple of years I have been in a constant state of exhaustion. I needed constant naps (insert old jokes here) just to function. I finally couldn't take it anymore and got an appointment with an ENT, who set me up with the sleep test.

They wired me up and monitored me, very uncomfortable for me. I was very aware of the wires. They never got around to using the CPAP so I had to go back for a second test.

Same thing, except this time we started with the CPAP right away. I didn't think much of it when I woke up, but I have been using that machine now for a month and it made a world of difference. Takes a while to get use to, but it was worth it.

When they did the analysis, they said I was getting zero hours REM sleep. After the CPAP test I was logging 4-5 hours. It's been a 1000% difference.

There have been past threads on this subject which you can archive.

I did the sleep study at home. Ask if you can do that also. It's alot easier to sleep in your own bed.

I have used a CPAP machine for many years now, and I now sleep more soundly plus I don't snore.

The CPAP machines keep getting better and better. The one I have now is smaller, lighter, and quieter than the one I originally used. There are many mask styles too, and the one I currently use is very light and fits my face well without discomfort or air leakage.

Edited by Chargerz

I'm not sure what they could have learned from the test I went through last night. How are they supposed to study your sleep patterns when you don't sleep? How do they expect a fella to sleep with 24 freaking wires glued to his body? :D

I'm grumpy when I don't sleep. Maybe that's why Mrs. Neutron insisted on the test. :wacko:

Thanks for the stories guys - especially those of you this has worked out for. I have a hard time believing I could sleep with one of those Vader masks on, but I might have to give it a try. Results will be back to the doc in 5-7 days.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to go to an ENT doc as my wife cannot stand my snoring anymore. And to add to it, I rarely feel fully rested even after sleeping 7-8 hours. I still wake up tired and groggy

I use a C-Pap. Mine is just a cylinder that goes under my nose, with two things that protrude, fitting my nostrils. I love it. I sleep so much better. I started off with the full vader mask, and hated it. I was about to quit using it, because it was so uncomfortable. I changed mask types, and don't have any problems now. There are about 10 different masks. Give a mask a try for about a week, if you are still having a problem with it, ask for a different one. The only time I don't wear mine now is on vacations, and when I have a head cold.

I use a C-Pap. Mine is just a cylinder that goes under my nose, with two things that protrude, fitting my nostrils. I love it. I sleep so much better. I started off with the full vader mask, and hated it. I was about to quit using it, because it was so uncomfortable. I changed mask types, and don't have any problems now. There are about 10 different masks. Give a mask a try for about a week, if you are still having a problem with it, ask for a different one. The only time I don't wear mine now is on vacations, and when I have a head cold.

Thanks, Perch - that sounds much better than the full Vader masks I've been seeing in literature.

That looks cool, but I'd be willing to bet I'd spit it out in the middle of the night.

I HATED my Vader mask, but I went online to and got one with the nasal pads, and I can actually wear it with out problems.

I've been using CPAP for about 2 years, and I'm not too sure it helps too much.

My next step is to lose weight, I might be getting a job on campus at the new gym thats opening, hopefully being there to work multiple times per week will make it easier to work out. :wacko:

-DD21

Edited by digitaldan21

Nope, I couldn't do that. I am too much of a mouth breather. I use a hybrid mouth/nasal mask :D It is the one I could get the best seal on as I flop around like a fish all night.

I actually dropped 20 pounds and they had to turn my CPAP UP (from 4 to 8). I was totally pissed.

But I'm still dropping so who knows. When I move out of the "obese" ranking ( need to be >190 lbs @ 6'0" tall), maybe I'll shed it all. I doubt it though. My Dad is skinny as a rail and snores like the second coming of Cthulhu. :wacko:

Edited by cre8tiff