[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sleep Apnea

Jimmy Neutron

I was scheduled for a sleep test but had to postpone because of going in for a back operation earlier this year. I was in ENT because of sinus headaches and the doc there suggested it might be useful to have the test.

When I dropped my weight to 225 three years ago (from 280), my snoring diminished a lot. I've put 30 of those pounds back on and I'm back to snoring like a pig (wife's description) most nights but not all. I don't think I have apnea because I don't have to nap during the day or evening and once I've had the morning shower I'm good to go all day. I don't have tiredness issues except when struggling out of bed at the sound of the alarm.

My advice - if you're carrying any extra weight, drop it. The snoring will likely die down a lot. Worth trying before going the sleep test route. That said, if you've got tiredness issues like some earlier posters, get the sleep test done. Like someone earlier said, go via ENT to a reputable clinic. Lotsa sharks in these waters.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was scheduled for a sleep test but had to postpone because of going in for a back operation earlier this year. I was in ENT because of sinus headaches and the doc there suggested it might be useful to have the test.

When I dropped my weight to 225 three years ago (from 280), my snoring diminished a lot. I've put 30 of those pounds back on and I'm back to snoring like a pig (wife's description) most nights but not all. I don't think I have apnea because I don't have to nap during the day or evening and once I've had the morning shower I'm good to go all day. I don't have tiredness issues except when struggling out of bed at the sound of the alarm.

My advice - if you're carrying any extra weight, drop it. The snoring will likely die down a lot. Worth trying before going the sleep test route. That said, if you've got tiredness issues like some earlier posters, get the sleep test done. Like someone earlier said, go via ENT to a reputable clinic. Lotsa sharks in these waters.

I too am not tired all day and do feel that I sleep well. But in addition to the snoring, I do have the night sweats at times and my breathing is not normal. Will losing weight take care of all of that?

I too am not tired all day and do feel that I sleep well. But in addition to the snoring, I do have the night sweats at times and my breathing is not normal. Will losing weight take care of all of that?

Pretty much everybody I've talked to - docs to average Joes say losing weight is key (damn it!) I don't know that there's a way to target the fat around the face and neck, but supposedly that's what causes some of us the problem. It's probably a big part of the answer for me. I'm a big guy, but don't sport a big belly. I'm 6' 1" and 255. My chest is broad and deep so some people are surprised I have a belly at all. However, with the last 20 or so pounds I've gained, my face and neck have rounded out and I think that's really amped up my snoring problem. :wacko:

:sigh: I guess it's time to get the bike out and start tearing up the asphalt. At least it's 100 degrees out so it will be pleasant. :D

Yeah, that overnight study isn't much fun. You don't really sleep very well, so I don't recommend working the next day if you can help it.

I sincerely hope you don't have apnea, because it sucks.

Be sure you are seeing an ENT doc for this. Some of those sleep centers are more about diagnosing for profit than for making you well. Some places, you don't even meet with an MD to talk about your treatment. Seriously. An ENT will consider multiple reasons you could be having apnea (weight, allergies, physiology, to name a few) but a sleep center might just tell you that you need C-PAP.

If you do have to use the C-PAP, I hope it works for you. It works very well for most people, but I was one of the unlucky ones. Stick with it as best you can for a few months - even if you hate it. The surgical solution UPPP has a hellatious recovery and poor success rate.

This is great advice. Seeing an ENT is really the first thing to do.

I elected to go the UPPP route. You are right about the recovery. I couldn't eat solid food for weeks and could barely manage liquids. The pain was terrible. Trying to force down the liquid codeine was a real experience. The only positive that came out of it was losing about 25 pounds. Unfortunately as soon as I was able to start eating solid food again, the weight quickly came back.

Five years later and I still sleep great. It worked for me.

The breathing and the sweats sound like possible apnea. No idea if losing weight will help - it worked for me as far as the snoring went - but I'd advise a trip to see the quack.

Nope, I couldn't do that. I am too much of a mouth breather. I use a hybrid mouth/nasal mask :D It is the one I could get the best seal on as I flop around like a fish all night.

I actually dropped 20 pounds and they had to turn my CPAP UP (from 4 to 8). I was totally pissed.

But I'm still dropping so who knows. When I move out of the "obese" ranking ( need to be >190 lbs @ 6'0" tall), maybe I'll shed it all. I doubt it though. My Dad is skinny as a rail and snores like the second coming of Cthulhu. :wacko:

I use this one... http://www.cpap.com/viewImage.php?PNum=180...-mask-front.jpg

Been using it for two years... It isn't bad once you get used to the damn thing...

• 1 year later...

This is the one I'm using. So far I've been sleeping better & feeling better throughout the day, but I'm still waking up 1-2 times a few nights a week to adjust it. I've always been a side sleeper & a lot of times when I roll over it will break the seal & blow air into my face which wakes me up, but gradually I'm starting to stay more on my back or when I do roll to my side I'm somehow not turning my head as much. Honestly I'm still thinking about getting corrective surgery instead though. I just can't get used to the fact that I will likely be wearing this thing to bed for the rest of my life.

This is the one I'm using. So far I've been sleeping better & feeling better throughout the day, but I'm still waking up 1-2 times a few nights a week to adjust it. I've always been a side sleeper & a lot of times when I roll over it will break the seal & blow air into my face which wakes me up, but gradually I'm starting to stay more on my back or when I do roll to my side I'm somehow not turning my head as much. Honestly I'm still thinking about getting corrective surgery instead though. I just can't get used to the fact that I will likely be wearing this thing to bed for the rest of my life.

What is the corrective surgery required?

What is the corrective surgery required?

from what I remember, it's clearing out your uvula, some soft tissue at back of throat, etc. From what I hear it's not even 50% effective.

I use the machine and it's a world better than before I used it. I was starting to fall asleep while driving, etc. Doesn't happen anymore. I know when I drop significant poundage, the symptoms lessen dramatically or go away entirely.

from what I remember, it's clearing out your uvula, some soft tissue at back of throat, etc. From what I hear it's not even 50% effective.

I use the machine and it's a world better than before I used it. I was starting to fall asleep while driving, etc. Doesn't happen anymore. I know when I drop significant poundage, the symptoms lessen dramatically or go away entirely.

And it's painful as hell. And I have the same issues with the tonnage. When I drop down to 220 or so I don't snore and don't have the apnea problems.

+1 on most accounts. Same one I have. I have just recently been using it every night, and the furthest into the night I've gone with it on is 7am. I typically yank it off around 3am. I guess I'm sleeping a little better but not sure if it's affecting me during the day or not. At least my wife is able to sleep a little better. :D I'm also a side sleeper and it's just awkward in that position. I just need to lose 30 lbs. and be done with it. :wacko:

It depends on your problem. If you snore because of a deviated septum then they ream out your nose, but my problem is the enlarged tissue in the back of my throat & the damage that was done from years of tonsilitis (I still have them) & strep throat issues as a kid. I don't have the problem with tonnage though. Yeah, I'm a bit out of shape, but I'm 5-10, 175 so I'm not grossly overweight.

And it's painful as hell. And I have the same issues with the tonnage. When I drop down to 220 or so I don't snore and don't have the apnea problems.
Which is one of the main reasons I'm trying to stick it out with the machine. Edited by rajncajn

Thanks for the stories guys - especially those of you this has worked out for. I have a hard time believing I could sleep with one of those Vader masks on, but I might have to give it a try. Results will be back to the doc in 5-7 days.

I felt the same way several years ago before I started using my CPAP, but I can't sleep without it anymore. You get used to it.

But I still hate the extra baggage when traveling. The one I have now is much smaller and quieter than my first one. I wear the comfort-gel mask like someone posted earlier.

I felt the same way several years ago before I started using my CPAP, but I can't sleep without it anymore. You get used to it.

+1

At first I felt like I couldn't breathe and almost had panic attacks, but now I can't imagine sleeping without it.

+1

At first I felt like I couldn't breathe and almost had panic attacks, but now I can't imagine sleeping without it.

I have a family history of those bad boys and think I've probably had some of my own, and yeah, at first it felt like i wasn't breathing ... and I have a drowning/suffocation complex... but now my breathing pattern calms down after only 30 seconds or so.

And at first, I couldn't sleep with it on at all. Then I would find myself drifting off to sleep for 10-15 minutes with it on. Now I'm sleeping well into the night, but still taking it off around 3 or 4 am. This sucks, because my main snoring problem is when I'm that beginning stage of sleep, so when I get up to piss in the morning and go back to bed, the snoring is back on like Donkey Kong. And my wife is the worst morning person ever, so she's extra cranky when I wake her up with my morning snoring. I guess I need to remind myself, in my early AM stupor, to put the thing on at 6 or 7 or whatever for those final moments of sleep.

• 2 weeks later...
I now have to do one of these in a couple weeks. Some of my blood test numbers are off and my doctor was saying that could be the cause.

Had the test last night. Apparetly was that, as the attendant was quickly putting me on different CPAP devices during the night. I won't see the results for a couple weeks though.

Had the test last night. Apparetly was that, as the attendant was quickly putting me on different CPAP devices during the night. I won't see the results for a couple weeks though.

Good luck John, I really hope it works out for you.

Had the test last night. Apparetly was that, as the attendant was quickly putting me on different CPAP devices during the night.
They tried different devices? Or they tried different settings? They will do a cpap titration where they increase the pressure, but I'd be suprised if they tried different actual devices if this was your first experience with CPAP machines. When I had my test done a few years ago, it was all controlled remotely from a central monitoring station so the attendant never entered my room after I had gone to sleep.

They tried different devices? Or they tried different settings? They will do a cpap titration where they increase the pressure, but I'd be suprised if they tried different actual devices if this was your first experience with CPAP machines. When I had my test done a few years ago, it was all controlled remotely from a central monitoring station so the attendant never entered my room after I had gone to sleep.

The attendant entered the room to switch devices. Otherwise it was all controlled remotely. She might have switched pressures within the devices remotely, but not sure if that was done. The first part of the trest was with no machine and looked to be that a machine was to be needed so she was testing different ones out.