[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sleep Apnea

Jimmy Neutron

Lucky ol' me gets to go sleep at the hospital tonight so they can monitor my sleep. I taped a little monitor to my finger at home a few weeks ago and based on the results of that - they want to do the full blown sleep test.

Anybody done this?

Yes, I snore like a freight train and my wife has been kind enough not to smother me to this point - but she's on the edge some nights. :D

I'm hoping the results are pretty marginal - I don't think I could sleep with one of those c-pap do-hickies. :wacko:

I've done it. I have it. It was either surgery or a machine. I sleep with a machine. It also decreased since I quit alcohol! Go figure!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am not tired all day and do feel that I sleep well. But in addition to the snoring, I do have the night sweats at times and my breathing is not normal. Will losing weight take care of all of that?

But in addition to the snoring, I do have the night sweats at times and my breathing is not normal.

You may have mild narcalepsy

• 3 weeks later...
Got the results - it shows severe sleep apnea. Next step is to setup to get a CPAP machine. They did test different settings during the study and it looks like they are recommending the highest tested level.

that be what i have mine set at. You will get used to it. Sucks when you have cold but other wise no problems for me.

Got the results - it shows severe sleep apnea. Next step is to setup to get a CPAP machine. They did test different settings during the study and it looks like they are recommending the highest tested level.

It definitely takes awhile to get used to the CPAP machine, but I sleep better now than I ever have. Eventually you will too. :wacko:

It definitely takes awhile to get used to the CPAP machine, but I sleep better now than I ever have. Eventually you will too. :wacko:

+1 ... I'm still not sleeping through the entire night with it on, but I believe the positive effects are there even if you keep it on a few hours.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Two bouts of strep throat in the past month, one last year and my doctor refers me to an ENT. ENT takes a look and tells me that due to my age & weight I shouldn't need a CPAP and more than likely it's airway obstructions & not apnea that is causing my problems. Next month I go for a CT scan and I'm likely looking at surgery to repair a deviated septum, clear my nasal passages and remove my tonsils as well as some excess soft palate. It sounds like a bit much, but if the end result is I never have to wear that damn thing on my head again it will be more than worth it. Now hoping the ENT can convince the insurance company that this is not just a cosmetic procedure.

Two bouts of strep throat in the past month, one last year and my doctor refers me to an ENT. ENT takes a look and tells me that due to my age & weight I shouldn't need a CPAP and more than likely it's airway obstructions & not apnea that is causing my problems. Next month I go for a CT scan and I'm likely looking at surgery to repair a deviated septum, clear my nasal passages and remove my tonsils as well as some excess soft palate. It sounds like a bit much, but if the end result is I never have to wear that damn thing on my head again it will be more than worth it. Now hoping the ENT can convince the insurance company that this is not just a cosmetic procedure.

Good luck with that... And might I add that this thread surprised me in the number of huddlers that have been diagnosed with sleep apnea. I, myself, have a CPAP. I hardly ever wear it, as the day I got the results from my sleep test I committed to the gym and to a whole foods diet. I lost 40 pounds pretty fast, and the lost weight made a HUGE difference. I've slowly crept back up to my original weight since, and I've seen my sleep quality deteriorate as a result. Time to hit the gym again and stop eating the junk. Easier said than done!

I have large tonsils that give me issues from time to time. ENT ordered sleep study. Mild to moderate apnea. Doc said removal of tonsils would probably resolve. Insurance refused to pay and wants me to do more conservative therapy first...cpap. I hated that thing during sleep study. Doc appealed but insurance still no. Haven't followed up. I sleep ok I think but would still rather yank the things out for nonapnea reasons. Anybody got a weedwacker?

Good luck with that... And might I add that this thread surprised me in the number of huddlers that have been diagnosed with sleep apnea. I, myself, have a CPAP. I hardly ever wear it, as the day I got the results from my sleep test I committed to the gym and to a whole foods diet. I lost 40 pounds pretty fast, and the lost weight made a HUGE difference. I've slowly crept back up to my original weight since, and I've seen my sleep quality deteriorate as a result. Time to hit the gym again and stop eating the junk. Easier said than done!

I'm 5-10 & hover just under 180. I really don't need to lose much weight, but toning up could certainly help.

I have large tonsils that give me issues from time to time. ENT ordered sleep study. Mild to moderate apnea. Doc said removal of tonsils would probably resolve. Insurance refused to pay and wants me to do more conservative therapy first...cpap. I hated that thing during sleep study. Doc appealed but insurance still no. Haven't followed up. I sleep ok I think but would still rather yank the things out for nonapnea reasons. Anybody got a weedwacker?

I pretty much got the same thing the first time around. The bad thing for me is I don't feel any more rested when I'm wearing the CPAP as it often wakes me up in the night.

Adenoids out and turbinates/conchae reduced? If he does plan to trim the turbinates at all, that can leave your nose a little dry during the winter months. I have to put a little polysporin on the inside of my nostril at night to keep it moist and prevent nose bleeds when it gets really dry. Definitely worth it compared to how things used to be for me though...

The tonsils/UPPP surgery is what will be the killer. Took me 14 days to feel better and return to work when I had it done 4-5 years ago... No way I could have worked for the first 10. I did half days for the first 3 days back on the job IIRC.

Adenoids out and turbinates/conchae reduced? If he does plan to trim the turbinates at all, that can leave your nose a little dry during the winter months. I have to put a little polysporin on the inside of my nostril at night to keep it moist and prevent nose bleeds when it gets really dry. Definitely worth it compared to how things used to be for me though...

The tonsils/UPPP surgery is what will be the killer. Took me 14 days to feel better and return to work when I had it done 4-5 years ago... No way I could have worked for the first 10. I did half days for the first 3 days back on the job IIRC.

Given the humidity here and the short Winters the dryness shouldn't be a problem and if it reduces the stuffiness I always have when I lay down at night I'll certainly take that trade-off.

I've heard the tonsil surgery for adults is a lot like having strep for an extended period. Given I've had it and tonsillitis more times in my lifetime than I can count I'm pretty sure I could deal with that too.

Edited by rajncajn

I've heard the tonsil surgery for adults is a lot like having strep for an extended period. Given I've had it and tonsillitis more times in my lifetime than I can count I'm pretty sure I could deal with that too.

Yeah, I heard the same things. From my experience, I'd say that description is an understatement when it is tonsils plus the other stuff. Totally worth it because I don't have infected airways 3-4X per year anymore, but it sucked worse than any strep throat I ever had. My ENT had me on a liquid narcotic for the first 7 days and it was still awful.

I'm 5-10 & hover just under 180. I really don't need to lose much weight, but toning up could certainly help.

Sounds like your weight isn't the problem at all. I can't say the same. I also hate my CPAP, and I've yet to go a night with it where I didn't wake up at least 4-5 times because of it.

The bad thing for me is I don't feel any more rested when I'm wearing the CPAP as it often wakes me up in the night.

I wear ear plugs at night for that reason. Works like a charm.

Yeah, I heard the same things. From my experience, I'd say that description is an understatement when it is tonsils plus the other stuff. Totally worth it because I don't have infected airways 3-4X per year anymore, but it sucked worse than any strep throat I ever had. My ENT had me on a liquid narcotic for the first 7 days and it was still awful.

:tup: Sounds awesome. :wacko:

I wear ear plugs at night for that reason. Works like a charm.

It's not the sound that wakes me up. I'm typically a side sleeper. If I sleep too long on my back it becomes very painful, but when I try to sleep on my side the head gear gets in the way, the nose pillows lose their seal and blow air into my face (tried the mask too & it was worse) and the hose has to be adjusted.

It's not the sound that wakes me up. I'm typically a side sleeper. If I sleep too long on my back it becomes very painful, but when I try to sleep on my side the head gear gets in the way, the nose pillows lose their seal and blow air into my face (tried the mask too & it was worse) and the hose has to be adjusted.

This whole thing sounds like some old style NFL helmet with fetish attachments. Can't imagine wearing all that.

• 5 months later...

:tup: Sounds awesome. :wacko:

Well, of course, after this exchange where I trumpeted my previous procedure for reducing infections, I developed the mother of all sinus infections that has stayed with me all year. :lol: 4 rounds of antibiotics, a few weeks on steroids, and a head scan later, I go under the knife in a couple weeks to get my sinuses opened up. Sounds like angioplasty for the sinuses - he uses a balloon to widen the sinus drainage holes so that I can hopefully get a bit of relief and the infection can drain out. This will be the fourth time in my life that an ENT doctor has been up my nose. I give up.