[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sleep Apnea

Jimmy Neutron

Well, of course, after this exchange where I trumpeted my previous procedure for reducing infections, I developed the mother of all sinus infections that has stayed with me all year. :wacko: 4 rounds of antibiotics, a few weeks on steroids, and a head scan later, I go under the knife in a couple weeks to get my sinuses opened up. Sounds like angioplasty for the sinuses - he uses a balloon to widen the sinus drainage holes so that I can hopefully get a bit of relief and the infection can drain out. This will be the fourth time in my life that an ENT doctor has been up my nose. I give up.

Sounds like something I might eventually need. I get sinus headaches fairly easily too and I'm pretty sure there's some residual weakness from a lengthy infection I had a while back.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, of course, after this exchange where I trumpeted my previous procedure for reducing infections, I developed the mother of all sinus infections that has stayed with me all year. :wacko: 4 rounds of antibiotics, a few weeks on steroids, and a head scan later, I go under the knife in a couple weeks to get my sinuses opened up. Sounds like angioplasty for the sinuses - he uses a balloon to widen the sinus drainage holes so that I can hopefully get a bit of relief and the infection can drain out. This will be the fourth time in my life that an ENT doctor has been up my nose. I give up.

Crap, sorry to hear. :tup:

I've put off the surgery for now since my insurance isn't going to cover it and my travel schedule makes it very difficult to fit in. The machine still sucks and I find myself more & more just taking it off in the middle of the night & moving to the couch.

Crap, sorry to hear. :wacko:

I've put off the surgery for now since my insurance isn't going to cover it and my travel schedule makes it very difficult to fit in. The machine still sucks and I find myself more & more just taking it off in the middle of the night & moving to the couch.

I am also dreading the surgery despite it being something I desperately need.

Regarding your CPAP, have you had your tubes, headgear and nosepiece replaced? I got all new gear with a new headgear and nosepiece and it is a billion times better. Text me if you want me to take some pics of it so you can contact your provider to get this one. It's the snorin'-shiznit!

I am so sorry you are going through all of this. :tup:

Don't give up. This surgery has a good chance of working.

I am also dreading the surgery despite it being something I desperately need.

Regarding your CPAP, have you had your tubes, headgear and nosepiece replaced? I got all new gear with a new headgear and nosepiece and it is a billion times better. Text me if you want me to take some pics of it so you can contact your provider to get this one. It's the snorin'-shiznit!

I get replacements a few times per year. Seems like every time I turn around they're calling to ask if I need replacement equipment. It doesn't make sense to me, it has to be costing the insurance company a fortune to keep me in this contraption, but they won't pay for the surgery to get me out of it. The same can be said for the Lasik surgery. Why pay all that money for doctors visits and glasses or contacts when there is a procedure that can correct the problem? :wacko:

But I'm getting off on a tangent, what's the brand & style? I can probably look it up.

I get replacements a few times per year. Seems like every time I turn around they're calling to ask if I need replacement equipment. It doesn't make sense to me, it has to be costing the insurance company a fortune to keep me in this contraption, but they won't pay for the surgery to get me out of it. The same can be said for the Lasik surgery. Why pay all that money for doctors visits and glasses or contacts when there is a procedure that can correct the problem? :wacko:

But I'm getting off on a tangent, what's the brand & style? I can probably look it up.

http://www.resmed.com/int/products/swift_f...tml?nc=patients

• 1 year later...

So, I've developed this new "issue" with the CPAP. I believe I've developed a condition called aerophagia. About 1 or 2 times a week I wake up with really bad gas, both burping and farting... mostly farting. While it sounds pretty funny, sometimes it's pretty painful. Imagine gas so bad that even after you've let out an amazingly glorious 5 second fart, you still feel like your insides have been blown up with a bicycle pump. Has anybody else had these issues with theirs and what did you do about it? Reading online it looks like most of the cases are fairly mild and can be fixed by adjusting the machine, but I'm concerned that mine may be a bit worse and could have something to do with the reoccurring reflux I am having. After this morning's episode I am going to stop using it, at least until I find out what the deal is.

Eff the CPAP, I had the surgery about 12 years ago and sleep and feel great. They did the full meal deal on me. Soft tissue cut out, tonsils gone, uvila gone, adnoids gone, cartiliidge cut out of nose due to four broken noses from rugby and boxing. Had to learn how to drink again even. Minor reacuurences since than, but only when I drink a lot of alcohol and let myself get really tired. Hated the Hannibal Lector mask and really only got half the relief I got from the surgery.

Edited by Hugh B Tool

So, I've developed this new "issue" with the CPAP. I believe I've developed a condition called aerophagia. About 1 or 2 times a week I wake up with really bad gas, both burping and farting... mostly farting. While it sounds pretty funny, sometimes it's pretty painful. Imagine gas so bad that even after you've let out an amazingly glorious 5 second fart, you still feel like your insides have been blown up with a bicycle pump. Has anybody else had these issues with theirs and what did you do about it? Reading online it looks like most of the cases are fairly mild and can be fixed by adjusting the machine, but I'm concerned that mine may be a bit worse and could have something to do with the reoccurring reflux I am having. After this morning's episode I am going to stop using it, at least until I find out what the deal is.

Turning down the pressure would be the first step. If that fails you may need endoscopy to diagnose the problem.

Funny that this thread pops up in the last few days. I just went in Tuesday night for my sleep test. Man, I've never felt more like a crash test dummy in my life. And got probably the worst night sleep I've ever gotten. Had close to 30 sensors all over my body. I thought it was just testing for sleep apnea. Nope, they checked for restless leg syndrome, monitored my oxygen through my finger, my breathing through two bra-like things on my stomach and chest, a probe practically in my eye testing for REM sleep, eight probes glued to my head checking brain activity, the tubes in my nose and mouth to see how I breath, and more I'm not even sure what they were for.

I don't have full blown sleep apnea (30 times stop breathing for 10 seconds in an hour, I think?) since they didn't put me on the machine during the night, but I'm sure I've got something. I've been on the couch for close to three months because of the snoring keeping my wife awake. But had I known what the sleep test was going to be like, I may have resigned myself to the couch!

Is snoring the typical sign of sleep apnea? Or would just waking up tired constantly be a sign?

Snoring itself is not a sign, but stopping breathing while snoring is. Being alone there was no one to tell me so abnornal oxygen levels in my blood tests was the sign for me.

Is snoring the typical sign of sleep apnea? Or would just waking up tired constantly be a sign?

Snoring + tired makes it a possibility. Of course there are a number of other medical reasons one could feel tired though. If you stop turning late night tricks at the bus station, that might help.

If you stop turning late night tricks at the bus station, that might help.

Meh, it's a growth industry. I'm just trying to get in on the ground level.

Honestly though, I'm not really worried about me. My wife finds some way to wake up tired 99% of her life. She doesn't snore and I've never heard her breathing stop. Just kind of wondered if there were any other signs I should look for.