[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is Avs/Wings over Hurricanes/Leafs a sure bet?

Controller

As I stated earlier, I know VERY little about hockey, but have been thoroughly enjoying this year's playoffs (first the Sharks/Avs and now the Wings/Avs).

A couple of years ago, I sat in the Oakland Coliseum watching the Ravens completely stuff the Raiders running game in the AFC title game (the Raiders led the NFL in rushing during the regular season that year) and I left that game completely impressed with the Ravens D. As the Super Bowl neared, I was 99.99% certain that the Giants had absolutely no chance to win or cover, and (uncharacteristically) I made some rather large bets on the Ravens. Needless to say, I did quite well on those bets.

Now, admittedly I am a complete novice when it comes to hockey. My impression is that the winner of the Avs/Wings will have no trouble winning the Stanley Cup over the Hurricanes/Leafs.

Am I over-simplifying things? Or is this another "golden opportunity" to cash in on a rare championship mis-match???

Help me out, hockey brethren... :confused:

First off, this is a 7 game series, not a 1 game, winner take all. Big difference between the NFL playoffs & the NHL playoffs.

I would rank an upset of the Eastern Conference over the Western Conference in this year's Stanley Cup Championship perhaps just a shade less than say the '80 U.S. Olympic Hockey gold medal - maybe right around Villanova over Georgetown in the NCAA BB tournament.

Just too much talent & heart west of the Big Muddy... {Yes, that was intentional... wink }

Save you $$$ for beer. It ain't gonna happen.

I have no question that a healthy and rested Avs team is far superior to either team from the east, but before betting I would like some info on the injuries to Keane and Tanguay, and I would like to see how Foote's foot is after that blast he absorbed last night.

Guest Azazello13

the oddsmakers will almost certainly have the western team as a pretty heavy favorite, so you don't stand to make a ton of dough there. it's rare in a 7 game series that a clearly inferior team beats a clearly superior team, and that's exactly what you'll have in the finals no matter who moves on. but with the odds as steep as they're likely to be i just don't know that i'd want to bet on that one one way or the other.

a smart bet would have been the avs to win the series over the wings at almost 1:2. i have no idea what hockey morons came up with that line.

Anything can happen in 1 game, a hot goalie, some lucky bounces, etc., but in a 7 game series the Eastern Conference has virtually no chance if Detroit/Colorado remain healthy.

Toronto, if they were completely healthy, would have been a legitimate threat.

Big difference compared to the Superbowl, NCAA title game, where Jimmy Valvano, etc. can pull out 1 big victory.

Let me re-phrase it this way:

It's unanimous here that the Avs/Wings will prevail in a 7-game series vs. the Eastern team.

That being the case, would it not make sense to take the Avs/Wings in EACH single game, and rack up some serious $$$, particularly in the event of a 4 game sweep? Or would some other wagering strategy make more sense?

I'm not looking for the longshot here, quite the opposite, I'm thinking about a slam dunk. The question really is: how do you go about betting the NHL finals so that you take full advantage of this apparent mis-match in the making?

The winner of Col/Det will crush the winner of Tor/Car. However, I would not bet on Col/Det in every game. More than likely, Col/Det will be more than a 2 to 1 favorite at home and if by chance they lose one of those games, you will be in a serious hole. I would bet them in the road games though. The odds will be much smaller.

Ditkaless Wonders:

I have no question that a healthy and rested Avs team is far superior to either team from the east, but before betting I would like some info on the injuries to Keane and Tanguay, and I would like to see how Foote's foot is after that blast he absorbed last night.

Just heard on local radio 850 KOA that Hinote is out with a broken leg sustained in the third period of last nights game. No further comments from the team on the status of Tanguay or Keane.

Carolina will give either Detroit or Colorado a good series. All the responses from the disillusioned 'Lanche fans are homer responses. The 'Canes are a good team. Not taking anything away from either Detroit or Colorado. The Western Conference is stronger, but not as much as everyone is mentioning here. The 'Canes will put up a good fight. Can they win? Probably not, but I'd consider betting them in a long shot. In a long series smalll things can change the momentum in a hurry.

You Avs fans are starting to sound like Redwings.cup. thumbs_d

Guest Azazello13
HUGH ONE:

Carolina will give either Detroit or Colorado a good series. All the responses from the disillusioned 'Lanche fans are homer responses. The 'Canes are a good team. Not taking anything away from either Detroit or Colorado. The Western Conference is stronger, but not as much as everyone is mentioning here. The 'Canes will put up a good fight. Can they win? Probably not, but I'd consider betting them in a long shot. In a long series smalll things can change the momentum in a hurry.

You Avs fans are starting to sound like Redwings.cup. thumbs_d

yawn

go ahead and bet the canes then, mr. objective. a fool and his money are soon parted.

Azazello13:

HUGH ONE:

You Avs fans are starting to sound like Redwings.cup.  thumbs_d

yawn

go ahead and bet the canes then, mr. objective. a fool and his money are soon parted.

Figured this would get a rise out of the 'Lanche homers. I'd bet them with the right odds. All I'm saying is that they are a better team than you Western Conference boys think. Irbe's been on fire. OK, they don't have the known talent like Blake, Forsberg, Sakic and company, but they are a solid, well put-together team.

BTW, am I boring you because I offer a different view than yours?

Guest Azazello13
HUGH ONE:

you're boring because i doubt very highly you'll put your money where your mouth is. or maybe you're even dumber than you look and you WILL put your money on the canes.

Azazello13:

HUGH ONE:

you're boring because i doubt very highly you'll put your money where your mouth is. or maybe you're even dumber than you look and you WILL put your money on the canes.Hey look smart guy, redwings agrees with you. thumbs_u :P

So, propose a bet o wise one. You have to give me some kind of odds or something.

chiefs:

You could do a Paypal bet- and send the money to the account of a third party. If anybody wants to send the money to my paypal account, I'd be happy to forward the money to the winner.

LOL, nice try, cowboy! wink

Peace

policy

Come on guys- the paper-route has been a little slow this month - and I just need another 50$ for a ticket to tonight's game. wink

Actually, I would trust almost anyone on this site who has been around a couple years with around a 100$ or less. There's no amount of money that would make up for taking the abuse he/she would have to deal with if immediate payment wasn't rendered.

How about this:

Either 4 weeks to 1 week of sig line ownership...

or....

I'll take 6 and 7 games, you take 4 and 5 games, even sig line time.

And, I'm keeping my milk money so all of you can go F yourselves.

chiefs:

Come on guys- the paper-route has been a little slow this month - and I just need another 50$ for a ticket to tonight's game.    wink

Actually, I would trust almost anyone on this site who has been around a couple years with around a 100$ or less. There's no amount of money that would make up for taking the abuse he/she would have to deal with if immediate payment wasn't rendered.

KC Tailgater owes me $20... tell him if he pays my huddle membership this year, he can keep the other $8. Then again, maybe I should forgive him for being so stupid.