[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cheating Spouse

Brent

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my buddy's lawyer said to go buy gift cards. from everywhere. walgreens and your grocery stores too. and then hide them. if they ask, just say it was for groceries.

most gift cards expire after 90 days, your lawyer is a moran

my buddy's lawyer said to go buy gift cards. from everywhere. walgreens and your grocery stores too. and then hide them. if they ask, just say it was for groceries.

I feel compelled to point out that if you get caught hiding money there can be negative repercussions. Yes, you need to position yourself defensively. Yes, taking stock of all your accounts' current balances and coming to an agreement regarding interim finances is absolutely required. But I wouldn't advise doing anything that might hurt you chances for custody. Preemptively hiding assets from your spouse in contemplation of divorce - so that there is less to divide among you upon divorce - is tantamount to stealing. And that's all your ex's lawyer will need to paint you as a deceptive thief if you get caught, which she might do in order to paint you both as bad actors. Since "Brent" has the cleaner hands it will be easier for his wife to try and tear him down in the eyes of the family court judge than it will be to build herself up. I'd recommend taking the high road.

However, if you have any separate accounts (like from an inheritance, gift, or assets from before marriage) I'd take great pains to protect it and not commingle it with joint assets.

My recommendation would be to pay bills together, balance check books together, and keep everything out in the open. Secret credit cards and stuff like that can present problems, especially if you're in a community property state. So running a credit check on the Mrs. might not be a bad idea because you'll smoke out stuff you might not otherwise be aware of.

Edited by yo mama

I don't buy it. I would guess that most divorces aren't caused by infidelity...so it's not that big of a stretch to say they're just not in love any more. And it's not a lie either.

yeah, but what you are doing is chancing the fact that the kid may already know or not know. I knew a lot of shyt my mother was doing at 13, that she had no idea that I knew. So in a sense, it isn't lying, but it is withholding information to a kid that is prolly a lot smarter than one would think. Now the younger kids, I would take a different route. Most likely yours if I had a road to take. But the 13 year old? Most likely already knows...

Okay, but if you think the kid should know, it has to come from the parent that did the cheating.

It's a no-win situation for the non-cheating parent as the kid will think it's some form of manipulation or betrayal. I could be wrong, but just somethign to consider.

My parents got divorced when I was 15 due to my dad cheating on my mom. My mom was the one who told me since dad wasn't in the house for a few days. It was pretty F'n obvious he was the one at fault and didn't seem like manipulation at all.

I'll never forget the day he came and packed up his poopye and moved out. The only thing I wanted in the world was for them to figure out a way to make it work or give it one more try.

Now, 20 years hence, I'm really glad that it worked out the way it did. I ended up having a great relationship with both of them though I still hold a little grudge against my father. I can see that they both ended up happier being divorced than they would have been staying married though and they were at least civil regarding me and my sister so that helped.

My mother in law is the woman he cheated with and I still don't really care for her but somehow she puts up with my dad so I'll give her credit for that.

I guess I have some experience here with my parents as well. my mom and dad met when they were like 20, she got pregnant with me, they got married to "do the right thing". before I was a year or two old he was cheating on her, they got divorced (never should've gotten married in the first place)...so I have no memory of them together, their divorce was always just a fact of life for me, not something I had to "come to grips" with.

fast forward to when I'm about 12. apparently, my mom (who remarried when I was 3) was involved with some infidelity against my stepdad. no one exactly told me why they were separating, I just had to put two and two together. for 2-3 years they were separated, but never divorced. my stepdad was the impetus behind them getting back together. he dated a little during the separation, but he remained constant in thinking they needed to get back together. he also remained constant to me, something I shared a bit about here when he died earlier this year :wacko: they got back together my freshman year of high school, and they were completely happy together until he was taken from us. his example, like savage's dad, is one I believe all of us should give a little more respect to. it's an example of love, family, and forgiveness being stronger than pride and jealousy.

I guess I have some experience here with my parents as well. my mom and dad met when they were like 20, she got pregnant with me, they got married to "do the right thing". before I was a year or two old he was cheating on her, they got divorced (never should've gotten married in the first place)...so I have no memory of them together, their divorce was always just a fact of life for me, not something I had to "come to grips" with.

fast forward to when I'm about 12. apparently, my mom (who remarried when I was 3) was involved with some infidelity against my stepdad. no one exactly told me why they were separating, I just had to put two and two together. for 2-3 years they were separated, but never divorced. my stepdad was the impetus behind them getting back together. he dated a little during the separation, but he remained constant in thinking they needed to get back together. he also remained constant to me, something I shared a bit about here when he died earlier this year :wacko: they got back together my freshman year of high school, and they were completely happy together until he was taken from us. his example, like savage's dad, is one I believe all of us should give a little more respect to. it's an example of love, family, and forgiveness being stronger than pride and jealousy.

Well said. Most dads say they would do anything for their kids. So I don't fault anyone for staying in a marriage for the kids. Obviously the marriage which they knew is gone. It's something different now. Can she remain faithful?...no one knows at this point. But I can certainly understand why someone with babies would want to explore every option.

Not sure I could stay. But I'd really have to think and pray over an extended time before making that decision.

Gift cards expire so dont hold on to them too long

Another thing to consider is age.

Right now, presumably, she is young and feeling hot and sexy. She wanted to screw around enough so that she was willing to risk everything. You are more than understandably ticked off.

But what happens when you guys are 60, 70, 80 years old? Sometimes having someone there with you when your days become numbered is more important than being right, but being alone.

i know what you are saying ...

i have relatives well into the 70's cheating like there's no tomorrow, along with their friends, who are into their 80s.

uh, there are other fish in the sea

please don't bring your freaky lemon parties with rr and sky into this

Another thing to consider is age.

Right now, presumably, she is young and feeling hot and sexy. She wanted to screw around enough so that she was willing to risk everything. You are more than understandably ticked off.

But what happens when you guys are 60, 70, 80 years old? Sometimes having someone there with you when your days become numbered is more important than being right, but being alone.

I'll burn in hell first

I've heard a saying that I've come to live by - would I rather be right or would I rather be happy? Don't let wounded feelings/pride get in the way of what would make you happy. The flip side of this is, you are responsible for your own happiness. I'd let my emotions die down a little, though, before even thinking about a decision. You can live apart for a while, if need be. In the great scheme of things, a few months apart won't decide a thing.

I've heard a saying that I've come to live by - would I rather be right or would I rather be happy? Don't let wounded feelings/pride get in the way of what would make you happy. The flip side of this is, you are responsible for your own happiness. I'd let my emotions die down a little, though, before even thinking about a decision. You can live apart for a while, if need be. In the great scheme of things, a few months apart won't decide a thing.

Ive heard a saying also it it something like "fool me once...."

Yeah...at some point when the kids are adults I'm sure they'll figure it out. But if this happened to me I'd never tell the kids that their mom banged some other guy.

Yeah... but Dad tells Uncle Marty. Cousin Fred hears Uncle Marty telling Bowling Buddy Larry.

And we all know that Cousin Fred is a dumbass, and he'll tell the kid.