[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calvin Johnson

Primetime9287

Alright, so I'm having a hard time evaluating Calvin Johnson. Obviously, he is a freak. 6-5 239, turning 23 this September. The Huddle Rankings have him ranked #19 in both Redraft and Keeper (Keeper Ranking Surprised me a little). But yet in most dynasty league drafts, CJ is going late 2nd round. His Redraft ADP is 48.

Let's take a look at last year....

15 Games (10 started) 48 catches for 756 yards, 4 tds and 52 yards rushing, 1 td

He suffered a nagging back injury all of last year. Is this the year that CJ takes over the #1 spot from Roy Williams (Fitzgerald who I feel is a similar type of WR had 780 yards and 8 tds his rookie year and then exploded for 103 catches, 1409 yards and 10 tds his sophomore year)? Or will Roy play his heart out, leave Detroit, and CJ take over next year? Or worst case scenario, could CJ wind up having an injury influenced career never really allowing him to live up to his hype? Where do you guys see CJ now and in the future?

Hard to be an NFL WR with a bum back, the little corners were letting him catch and taking kidney shots, eventually it got in his head along with the pain. I think that if he is healthy he should be a serious probowl contender, he has everything it takes to be great.

If Kitna can survive - it will be a Roy Williams year. I can't get a read on this team this year. WIthout Martz, I'm curious how this offense will do - they over-achieved with Martz and they were still only average. Time will tell.

Do you honestly think Kitna will suddenly have the skills to get it to Roy? He hasn't before and the installation of a more conservative offense makes me very skeptical. Also, Roy has never put together more than 8 quality games and there are other guys I would rather gamble on as a low-end #1.

If Calvin is healthy, I think he could have a really nice year playing mismatches in the slot.

Do you honestly think Kitna will suddenly have the skills to get it to Roy? He hasn't before and the installation of a more conservative offense makes me very skeptical. Also, Roy has never put together more than 8 quality games and there are other guys I would rather gamble on as a low-end #1.

If Calvin is healthy, I think he could have a really nice year playing mismatches in the slot.

Two words: Contract year.

Roy will be even more motivated this season to ball out for the biggest contract he will ever receive. This is the year he can set himself and his family for life.

And the Lions will be looking to showcase him for a possible trade/franchise tagging next off-season.

Calvin is a freak, but from what I saw last year he has still has a ways to go as a #1 wideout...

I think they both are solid picks. Calvin was looking quite good for a rookie up until he went down hard. (not sure how many of you saw that catch he made that lead to the injury, but WOW - nice catch and a HARD fall)

I think that really clouded his success and he'll be back big this year. As others have mentioned, I am not as sold on Kitna, the RB situation, and the o-line. I think we'll see the Lions throwing a lot as they try to catch up. Calvin will be great for those 15 yard pickups and red zone ops.

I don't think Kitna has the skill to get anyone the ball - BUT of the two Roy will be 'the guy' this year. What about Kitna's skill would suggest to you that Calvin will get more looks than Roy?

One factor in Johnson's favor, at least at the beginning of the season, is that NFL defenses will likely focus on stopping Williams first, and Johnson second. We saw a similar situation in St. Louis when Holt was drafted--those first few seasons, secondaries nearly always game planned to stop Bruce first, even when Holt started putting up big numbers. (I'm not suggesting that the Lion offense will be nearly as good as those Ram offenses were--just making the smaller comparison regarding defensive tendencies when there are two great receivers to cover, and one is more experienced than the other.) My point is that Williams has freakish ability, too, and given his experience in the league, I expect he'll see more double teams this year than will Johnson. And that's obviously great news for Johnson.

All things considered, I think Johnson has big upside this year, and barring injury will finish as a top 10 fantasy WR (or higher). JMHO

Edited by Big Talker

Calvin is a better Redzone target than Williams.

Roy has never been a big TD guy.

I think that Calvin will end up with more TDs than Roy.

Being from Georgia and having seen lots of his games at Georgia Tech, I'm pretty high on Calvin. I think that he'll make a good lower tier WR2 or an excellent WR3.

But then again, maybe that just makes me a homer.

:wacko:

Edited by Someone

Neither Williams nor Johnson was impressive last year. Kitna, who isn't very good to begin with, is a year older. The running game is a huge question mark. Tinker Bell? Kevin Smith? The amount of carries that Smith had last year - 450 - concerns me, even though it was in college. The offensive line? I don't see much going on there - Kitna is going to take another pounding.

The bottom line is that I don't see the Lions offense having a better year this year than last. And I don't see Johnson getting any more looks than Williams. So I do not have high expectations for Johnson.

Read somewhere that for the second day in a row Williams was pissed off at practice and refused to talk to the media afterwards. All that off-season trade talk getting in his head?

Yeah, I read that, too. Possible that Williams is upset because he's learned Johnson is going to be more of "the guy" this year in the Lion offense? The organization is under pressure to see their top draft picks succeed, and I have to think it's important to them that Johnson has a great year, especially after he fizzled last year after the back injury.

Just speculating here.

Yeah, I read that, too. Possible that Williams is upset because he's learned Johnson is going to be more of "the guy" this year in the Lion offense? The organization is under pressure to see their top draft picks succeed, and I have to think it's important to them that Johnson has a great year, especially after he fizzled last year after the back injury.

Just speculating here.

Hmmm...that makes sense at least...

I had Calvin on my team last year, and it was so aggervating watching that offense. Now that Martz is gone, and I would assume that they will go back to a normal offense I could not see Calvin not having a good year. When they threw the ball his way last year, it was very difficult to stop him. You have a lot of weapons on the Lions (yes I said the Lions). If they can establish the run just a bit, and then have Roy and Calvin available it would be a tough combo to stop. I would think about drafting him and then look to trade him half way through the season. The Lions always seem to fall apart so sell high.