[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Usain Bolt

muck

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude is amazing. He could have gone way faster than the world record he broke.

BERLIN -- Usain Bolt saved the celebration for after the finish line this time and showed that, yes, he can keep breaking that world record.

He obliterated it, in fact.

Bolt ran 100 meters in 9.58 seconds Sunday at world championships, turning his showdown against Tyson Gay into a rout and putting to rest the questions that went unanswered last time he set the record -- at his showboating Olympic run of 9.69 seconds.

Yes, he can do better when he goes all out the whole way. Yes, he can break 9.6.

It was the biggest change in the record since electronic time was introduced in 1968. It came very close to the 9.55-second time that an American professor said Bolt would have run in Beijing had he run all out in the Olympic 100 finals.

Under ideal conditions and facing the toughest competition possible, Bolt blew away his own world record by .11 seconds on the one-year anniversary of the last world record. Gay, meanwhile, set the American record by finishing in 9.71, a time that would have been a world record 12 months and one day ago, but was an afterthought instead.

had to bump this as he shattered the 200m WR today.

The best Athlete on The Panet. Period., End Of Story. Mind- Boggling what he is doing, this is a once in a lifetime type dude.

If anyone says Michael Phelps or Lance Armstrong is the best athlete they need to be punched squarely in the face

Edited by wildcat2334

The best Athlete on The Panet. Period., End Of Story. Mind- Boggling what he is doing, this is a once in a lifetime type dude.

If anyone says Michael Phelps or Lance Armstrong is the best athlete they need to be punched squarely in the face

Just silly

Did they drop him into the Iowa HS State finals or was that actually the World Championships? He just crushed the field.

Edited by detlef

It's sad that when these type of impressive accomplishments happen I can't help but think about steroids. :D

The first step in beating addiction is admiting you have a problem. Keep it up bro :wacko:

How can you say being the fasted runner, makes you the best athlete. Dude is the fastest man alive, and this record may never be broken unless he does it. But what Lance Armstrong did, for years is more impressive IMO, in those mountains where he just ran away from everyone else. Speed is something that can be improved upon, but there is no endurance involved in it.

The best athletes in the world are basketball players. What Lebron can do it amazing. Bolt isnt on his level in the least bit athletically.

How can you say being the fasted runner, makes you the best athlete. Dude is the fastest man alive, and this record may never be broken unless he does it. But what Lance Armstrong did, for years is more impressive IMO, in those mountains where he just ran away from everyone else. Speed is something that can be improved upon, but there is no endurance involved in it.

The best athletes in the world are basketball players. What Lebron can do it amazing. Bolt isnt on his level in the least bit athletically.

listen, Private I am the biggest hoops fan around- I freaking love the game and I agree with you to a point.... I would say the best OVERALL athletes are probably NBA players, AND skill guys in the NFL - I think both provide the necessary all around skills and guys like Lebron, Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, MJ, etc are freaks of nature BUT

I just think for now, the way BOLT is smashing world record and dominating a world class field of incredible athletes is just too hard to ignore

Lance Armstrong? please - it is biking for gawds sake - cool sport and all but it is not played by the best athletes - more like short, slender dudes that weren't any good at other sports growing up - I think Lance himself got on a bike because he sucked at regular sports, and throw swimming and soccer in the same category - just not the same level of athlete as the NBA and NFL

Put the following people in a varied athletic contest, and who does the best?

...assume they are all in their prime...

Pele (soccer)

Wayne Gretzky (hockey)

Alex Rodriguez (baseball)

Michael Jordan (basketball)

Usain Bolt (track and field)

Bo Jackson (football)

Lance Armstrong (cycling)

Muhammad Ali (boxing)

Tiger Woods (golf)

Michael Phelps (swimming)

Roger Federer (tennis)

I consider athletic ability to be a combination of strength, agility, stamina, quickness and mental toughness. So, put everyone through the following drills to see how they stack up in these five areas to see who is the "best athlete" ... who do you think would win?

Strength:

* bench press (max)

* bench press (reps at 225lbs)

* squat (max)

* squat (reps at 225lbs)

* pullups (total)

Agility / Hand-Eye Coordination:

* homerun derby off a pitching machine

* fastest short cone drill (from NFL pre-draft drills)

* 100 meter hurdles

* fastest speedbag (boxing -- # of hits in 2 minutes)

* homerun derby competition (pitching machine and 300 foot fences)

Stamina / mental toughness:

* 10 mile run

* 1 mile swim

* 36 holes of golf in one day, walk and carry own bags

* 40 mile bike ride

* run stairs (don't know; some crazy number of stairs in the ______ stadium / fieldhouse / coleseum)

Quickness:

* swimming 50 meters free style

* 1 v 1 hoops tournament (triple elimination)

* 20 meter sprint from walking start

* fastest "ladder" (old hoops drill ... baseline to free throw line to base line to half court to baseline to opposite free throw line to base line to opposite baseline)

* playing hockey goalie -- stopping slap-shots (25 hit at you, per competitor)

All items are timed, measured or otherwise quantified to see who is the best athlete.

NOTE: Best athlete is different than the best champion, because in team sports, that requires team work ... in solo-sports, it is more determined by will power and a unique skill.

I think Lance himself got on a bike because he sucked at regular sports

Lance was an accomplished Triathlete before he dropped the running and swimming to concentrate on the bike.

Thanks for playing.

Lance was an accomplished Triathlete before he dropped the running and swimming to concentrate on the bike.

Thanks for playing.

Beat me to it.

Specifically, it's not like any little dude could become a great cyclist if he wanted to. These guys have freakishly efficient motors. I've competed in cycling, triathalons, and the like for much of my life. There's always some kid who would come along, having just started riding, or swimming, or what have you and just smoke everyone save the few who are not only as talented as him but have also been training. If it was just a matter of training like a mother, this wouldn't happen. But it's not, because the best athletes will rise to the top regardless of what sport they choose.

That said, in general I agree that NBA players as a whole are the best athletes. Mostly because of the outrageous combo of size and skill. We've all known guys 6'6" or taller in our lives and nearly all of them are clumsy oafs. These guys are essentially superheros. Soccer players may have better stamina and marginally better agility, but you should expect that from guys who are that much smaller.

That said part II. I still agree that Bolt is the greatest athlete alive. Just because, prior to him arriving, it appeared we'd sort of reached a stage in sprinting where we'd pretty much milked all we could out of the human body. That it was taking a perfect day, barely legal tailwinds, and a super tight field for guys to even knock a few hundreths off the WR. Now this guy comes along and makes a total mockery of the world's best. In a way that nobody else has done. He's crushing world record despite not being pushed or even running through the tape. Sure, it was Michael and everyone else, it's Tiger and everyone else. But it's not like Tiger goes out and shoots a 60 every time out, which would likely be a fair comparison to what Bolt is doing. The Jordan thing is tough because of the team aspect.

Lance completely dominated his sport as well, but Lance also had the best team. Many of his former support riders are now the top riders in the sport.

Edited by detlef

Beat me to it.

Specifically, it's not like any little dude could become a great cyclist if he wanted to. These guys have freakishly efficient motors. I've competed in cycling, triathalons, and the like for much of my life. There's always some kid who would come along, having just started riding, or swimming, or what have you and just smoke the competition. If it was just a matter of training like a mother, this wouldn't happen. But it's not, because the best athletes will rise to the top regardless of what sport they choose.

That said, in general I agree that NBA players as a whole are the best athletes. Mostly because of the outrageous combo of size and skill. We've all known guys 6'6" or taller in our lives and nearly all of them are clumsy oafs. These guys are essentially superheros. Soccer players may have better stamina and marginally better agility, but you should expect that from guys who are that much smaller.

That said part II. I still agree that Bolt is the greatest athlete alive. Just because, prior to him arriving, it appeared we'd sort of reached a stage in sprinting where we'd pretty much milked all we could out of the human body. That it was taking a perfect day, barely legal tailwinds, and a super tight field for guys to even knock a few hundreths off the WR. Now this guy comes along and makes a total mockery of the world's best. In a way that nobody else has done. He's crushing world record despite not being pushed or even running through the tape. Sure, it was Michael and everyone else, it's Tiger and everyone else. But it's not like Tiger goes out and shoots a 60 every time out, which would likely be a fair comparison to what Bolt is doing. The Jordan thing is tough because of the team aspect.

Lance completely dominated his sport as well, but Lance also had the best team. Many of his former support riders are now the top riders in the sport.

solid points - I have a ton of respect for triathletes, and cycling - I think it is cool as chit and an awesome test of endurance and toughness. I just that it is a giant reach to try and compare these types of athletes to NBA or NFL guys - it is apples and oranges IMO - the thing is the best athletes in the US are playing basketball and football , they are not getting on a bike training for the Tour De France -

to me a big part of being in any "best athlete" conversation is crossover - someone who has the ability to excel in different sports at a high level. Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, Lebron James, Allen Iverson, Antonio Gates, - these guys are freaks

I have never seen a better overall athlete than Bo Jackson

Edited by wildcat2334

solid points - I have a ton of respect for triathletes, and cycling - I think it is cool as chit and an awesome test of endurance and toughness. I just that it is a giant reach to try and compare these types of athletes to NBA or NFL guys - it is apples and oranges IMO - the thing is the best athletes in the US are playing basketball and football , they are not getting on a bike training for the Tour De France -

to me a big part of being in any "best athlete" conversation is crossover - someone who has the ability to excel in different sports at a high level. Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, Lebron James, Allen Iverson, Antonio Gates, - these guys are freaks

I have never seen a better overall athlete than Bo Jackson

FWIW, I don't think that cyclists or even triathaletes are the best athletes out there. I just thought you took it a bit far with the bit about them sucking at other sports and thus simply chose these sports. That would imply that the only thing one needed to excel in these endurance sports was the commitment to train hard, and that is simply not true.

Thanks for playing.

right

something tells me old Lance would have given his right nut to be a star on the football or basketball team in high school instead of out doing roadwork or swimming laps...............