[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Usain Bolt

muck

:wacko:

pure comedy - you can't be serious, a wider range of athletic ability in a sport that you can't use your hands?? right............................................

soccer sucks for a reason

In basketball, you can't use your feet. Your point again?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In basketball, you can't use your feet. Your point again?

huh? hoops is as much about feet, quickness and footwork as any sport out there- including soccer

I know you love soccer, but sorry man it is a limited sport and you aren't going to win any soccer vs basketball arguments on who has the better athletes playing it -

I know you love soccer, but sorry man it is a limited sport and you aren't going to win any soccer vs basketball arguments on who has the better athletes playing it -

Limited? Ever been on the field with professional - or even semi-professional - soccer players?

listen, Private I am the biggest hoops fan around- I freaking love the game and I agree with you to a point.... I would say the best OVERALL athletes are probably NBA players, AND skill guys in the NFL - I think both provide the necessary all around skills and guys like Lebron, Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, MJ, etc are freaks of nature BUT

I just think for now, the way BOLT is smashing world record and dominating a world class field of incredible athletes is just too hard to ignore

Lance Armstrong? please - it is biking for gawds sake - cool sport and all but it is not played by the best athletes - more like short, slender dudes that weren't any good at other sports growing up - I think Lance himself got on a bike because he sucked at regular sports, and throw swimming and soccer in the same category - just not the same level of athlete as the NBA and NFL

See its comments like these that proves you spew recklessly.

Lance was a triathlete in high school. He was a champion runner in high school as well. He could have easily been a champion swimmer. he chose cycling, because of shin splints he got from running and the fact there wasnt any money in swimming at the time, and he flat out enjoyed cycling the most. I trained with him at the SMU campass on Thursday nights for 3 months during our Sophmore year at a club called striders. Invitation only for track athletes. Dude could have done anything he wanted. He was running 24 second 200's, and 11 second 100s one right after another. Sprint a 100, walk across the field, about 50 yards, sprint a 200, walk across the field another 50 yards, sprint a 100, walk 50, then sprint a 200. And we did this circuit 3 times, while he went on to do a 4th. This was after a 3 mile warmup that he spanked everyone at that as well. . That is how he was, he was going to stay past anyone else, beat everyone who lined up against him, regardless how long anyone wanted to stay with him. Lance broke a 5 min mile in 8th grade, back in 1985-86. This isnt today, when its happening more frequent. Dude was the show at every meet he entered. Everyone knew about this kid even as a freshman at Plano East High School. His lung capacity was the best in the world. Im sure he could have played soccer if he wanted to. So I couldnt disagree with you any more than I do about Lance. You only know about his cycling accomplishments. he was a stud runner and swimmer as well. But like many he chose the sport he liked best at, and had the biggest chance to make serious money at. Mission accomplished Id say.

And even this Id still say Lebron is the best athlete Ive ever seen. Dude is 6'8, 255, can jump outta the gym, fly down the court, throw the ball the length of the court, and can drive past anyone. He is a freak of nature, but has more skills than just straight line speed like Bolt.

Edited by Dallas Sooners

Limited? Ever been on the field with professional - or even semi-professional - soccer players?

uh yeah, 2 of my boys from high school played in the MLS - or whatever the various pro leagues have been called and quite a few played in college decent little athletes I guess but yes- LIMITED meaning they had zero skills or ability that translated to other sports, which is key IMO - out HS team won state- and I can't think of a single player that was any good at ANY other sport, except maybe CC

where I grew up dudes played soccer b/c they weren't good enough for football, basketball or baseball.........

step on a hoops court with a pro basketball player and your head will spin at the speed and athleticism

How many of them can ride 100 miles in the mountains of spain and france. how many can dunk a basketball. Or throw, or make a shot. They are fast, have great endurance, and can kick. Very nice, but nothing compared to the skill of basketball. And none are 6'8. 255 doing this.

Lance has the endurance to keep up with the best soccer player in the world, and in his day had the speed as well. But its kicking a ball in a net, or passing it to someone to kick it in a net. The best player in the world may go scoreless for games in a row. So they may be athletic, but no where near Lance or Lebron.

See its comments like these that proves you spew recklessly.

Lance was a triathlete in high school. He was a champion runner in high school as well. He could have easily been a champion swimmer. he chose cycling, because of shin splints he got from running and the fact there wasnt any money in swimming at the time, and he flat out enjoyed cycling the most. I trained with him at the SMU campass on Thursday nights for 3 months during our Sophmore year at a club called striders. Invitation only for track athletes. Dude could have done anything he wanted. He was running 24 second 200's, and 11 second 100s one right after another. Sprint a 100, walk across the field, about 50 yards, sprint a 200, walk across the field another 50 yards, sprint a 100, walk 50, then sprint a 200. And we did this circuit 3 times, while he went on to do a 4th. That is how he was, he was going to stay past anyone else, regardless how long anyone wanted to stay with him. Lance broke a 5 min mile in 8th grade, back in 1985-86. This isnt today, when its happening more frequent. Dude was the show at every meet he entered. Everyone knew about this kid even as a freshman at Plano East High School. His lung capacity was the best in the world. Im sure he could have played soccer if he wanted to. So I couldnt disagree with you any more than I do about Lance. You only know about his cycling accomplishments. he was a stud runner and swimmer as well. But like many he chose the sport he liked best at, and had the biggest chance to make serious money at. Mission accomplished Id say.

And even this Id still say Lebron is the best athlete Ive ever seen. Dude is 6'8, 255, can jump outta the gym, fly down the court, throw the ball the length of the court, and can drive past anyone. He is a freak of nature, but has more skills than just straight line speed like Bolt.

and there we have it

listen- Lance is awesome, i get it. I just don't think he is on the level of an overall, well-rounded athlete that we see in the NBA or NFL, dat is all

and there we have it

listen- Lance is awesome, i get it. I just don't think he is on the level of an overall, well-rounded athlete that we see in the NBA or NFL, dat is all

Have what, Ive never been a Lance hugger. Dude was a pr*ck in high school as well.

And didnt you say Bolt was the best athlete in the world, now you are saying NBA and NFL players are. So which side are you arguing now? :wacko:

Have what, Ive never been a Lance hugger. Dude was a pr*ck in high school as well.

And didnt you say Bolt was the best athlete in the world, now you are saying NBA and NFL players are. So which side are you arguing now? :wacko:

I think it's possible to think, in general, NBA players are the best athletes but that Bolt is the single greatest athlete. At least that's how I see it based entirely on how much better he is than every other elite sprinter in the world.

And why did you change your name?

I think it's possible to think, in general, NBA players are the best athletes but that Bolt is the single greatest athlete. At least that's how I see it based entirely on how much better he is than every other elite sprinter in the world.

And why did you change your name?

werd - +1

it is just hard to deny how Bolt is absolutely dominating every sprinter on the planet and shattering wr that looked to be as fast as humans could run. Watching him in the 100 and 200 is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in sports.

Det take a wild guess on the name change - It wasn't by choice

Edited by wildcat2334

I will say, basketball players are amazing. The combination of quickness, agility, and overall skill to play the game outweighs what a professional soccer player has to do. Also, in my opinion, running fast in a straightline for 100 or 200 meters (granted, what Bolt is doing is incredible), may be athletic, but I don't think it is a combination of all the things we thing of as being athletic (read muck's post).

Strength, speed, agility, stamina, and hand eye coordination are the things that come to my mind when considering a world class athlete. I think boxing, hockey, baseball, and basketball are up there for me in regards to sports that tend to be more athletically inclined.

I always felt elite boxers were the best athletes. Bigtime Stamina needed to go 12. Strength, Speed, Defensive Skills. A lot going on in the ring. 1 mistake can make you go Night Night

Remember when ESPN had a panel of experts determine the most difficult sports?

The top 15:

Boxing

Ice Hockey

Football

Basketball

Wrestling

Martial Arts

Tennis

Gymnastics

Baseball/Softball

Soccer

Skiing: Alpine