[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dodgers aquire Maddux

HowboutthemCowboys

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet. Maddog passes Clemens for career wins. And, with a very Maddux-like efficient game. 6ip 2 hits, 1ER...47 pitches!

End of the season for him.

I have'nt read anything that leads me to believe he's off the playofff roster.

I'm not familiar with their pen, but I'd have to think he has a shot at long relief. As demonstrated JUST YESTERDAY - he still has it at times. I also think his presence of mind and waking knowledge make him a serious shot over a younger and livelier arm with less of a focused head.

Also, check out his run support since he's gotten to LA. In 4 of his losses he was given 2 runs TOTAL, and even yesterday just got 1.

Sweet. Maddog passes Clemens for career wins. And, with a very Maddux-like efficient game. 6ip 2 hits, 1ER...47 pitches!

End of the season for him.

I have'nt read anything that leads me to believe he's off the playofff roster.

I'm not familiar with their pen, but I'd have to think he has a shot at long relief. As demonstrated JUST YESTERDAY - he still has it at times. I also think his presence of mind and waking knowledge make him a serious shot over a younger and livelier arm with less of a focused head.

Also, check out his run support since he's gotten to LA. In 4 of his losses he was given 2 runs TOTAL, and even yesterday just got 1.

Please note fellas, I make a distinction between a season and the playoffs. It was the last game that will contribute to his W-L career totals for the...:drumroll:...season.

As a pissed off Diamondbacks fan - I'm here to say that Manny to the Dodgers has to be one of the best moves a team has made in a long time!!

Not only for picking up the team and putting them on his back - but seriously:

Since they've aquired Manny, they've sold more tickets the 2nd half the season. Those concessions and parking alone paid his salary for this year + some! And now that he's lifted this team to the postseason - at least one home game this series - maybe 2 - then to the NL Championship series with at least 2 games there. That's a minimum of 3 games - ALL PROFIT! The profit from those 3 games alone easily pays for his salary next season - in turn increasing ticket sales next season as well.

All of this not to mention - he has singlehandedly turned the Dodgers into a serious threat!

For as much as the Dodgers can kiss my A$$, they deserve their credit. I do wish them luck cause I would LOVE to see a Dodgers / Red Sox series only to see the Sox fans cheer for a guy on the other team. All in all - I am cheering for the underdog Rays. They're not supposed to be here anyway - a team playing with NO pressure = very dangerous.

Oh well.. It's gonna be a fun couple more weeks!

Edited by Shorttynaz

As a pissed off Diamondbacks fan - I'm here to say that Manny to the Dodgers has to be one of the best moves a team has made in a long time!!

It is, but it wasn't Manny that shut down a very good Cubs offense.

I wouldn't overlook Torre's contribution. He won a WS with a team that Buck Showalter couldn't even with a playoff series with (against a far superior Braves team, to boot). After that, the Yankees payroll and star-studded cast seemed to give people the impression that the best team money could buy would win on its own. Torre's proven himself a winner this year, and has made the Steinbrenner family look incredibly stupid.

It is, but it wasn't Manny that shut down a very good Cubs offense.

I wouldn't overlook Torre's contribution. He won a WS with a team that Buck Showalter couldn't even with a playoff series with (against a far superior Braves team, to boot). After that, the Yankees payroll and star-studded cast seemed to give people the impression that the best team money could buy would win on its own. Torre's proven himself a winner this year, and has made the Steinbrenner family look incredibly stupid.

+1. Torre's record prior to coming to NY was mediocre at best. I thought he'd revert to form this year, but he learned a few things during his time in NY and did great things with the Dodgers this year.

And I don't buy the Manny hyperbole about it being the "greatest trade in a long time" when CC Sabbathia single handedly took the Brew Crew to the playoffs. You can't argue that, and he'll prolly get the CYA for it. Rich Harden's stat line since coming to Chicago is better than Sabbathia's in some spots. He helped ice up home field advantage that the Cubs squandered but don't underestimate what that could have meant as well as in a solid contribution.

The thing about this year was that there were so many trades that benefitted post season teams. Usually it's one or two that are argueable, and this year there are 3 with zero argument. In fact, you could say that the Dodgers probably would have made the playoffs without Ramirez in that division, whereas the Brewers aren't in the postseason, and the Cubs wouldn't have won 97 games and iced advantage without their trades they proabbly would have fought over that with the Phils.

And I don't buy the Manny hyperbole about it being the "greatest trade in a long time" when CC Sabbathia single handedly took the Brew Crew to the playoffs.

CC played once every 5 games. While Manny played everyday, he made a difference in maybe 3 out of 5 games. And I'm bias, however I think if the Dodgers didn't trade for Manny, it would have been the Cubs that swept the Diamondbacks. How many games did Manny himself beat the Diamondbacks?

Regardless it's all on opinion. Still wish the Dodgers the best - however the Phillies are looking tough! The Dodgers are going to have to take it to the starters cause the Phil's bullpen simply does not lose games. Regardless, It's gonna be a good NLCS!!

Edited by Shorttynaz