[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

O VER RA TED!

BS Miscreant

Inspired by some conversation in the "Michigan's backfield" thread:

How can a conference be overrated if "everyone" says they suck?

Big Ten has 5 teams in the USA Today Top 25/ 4 in the AP. I'd say there's plenty of room for demonstrating overratedness.

By the way, SEC has 6 teams and 4 in the top 10/11. I'd say that even if they are really, really good this year and one of those teams wins the NC they will still probably end up being collectively overrated. That many teams, that highly ranked is a tall order to live up to.

And speaking of tall orders, the Big 12 has 5 teams in the top 15. Good luck hanging onto that.

Edited by BS Miscreant

Actually last year the SEC as a whole didn't exactly light hte world on fire outside of their conference. And honestly, who cares about preseason rankings? Other than Ohio State, the Big Ten doesn't have anyone that is getting praised nationally. Michigan wasn't even ranked in the top 25, which should tell you all you need to know of what public opinion is of the conference. So, sorry, but the Big Ten can't possibly be overrated because no one thinks they are any good. As for THIS year, it's premature to label anyone anything, but Alabama whooping on Clemson like they did was pretty impressive for the SEC. Again, though, whose to say Clemson won't turn out to be a total joke? Time will tell, but as of Labor Day, that was the most impressive win so far.

The only reason the SEC teams may fall in the rankings is because they beat eachother up. If they just played out of conference they dominate the top ten at years end.

I applaud this original and innovative argument. :wacko:

And honestly, who cares about preseason rankings?...

Michigan wasn't even ranked in the top 25, which should tell you all you need to know of what public opinion is of the conference. So, sorry, but the Big Ten can't possibly be overrated because no one thinks they are any good.

GW, you gotta make up your mind man. Should we not care about preseason rankings or should it matter that Michigan wasn't even ranked in the top 25(they are 24th in the USA Today poll by the way)? You can't have it both ways.

And since rankings are a topic here, rankings and public opinion are far from one in the same. In fact, what generally happens is Conference X gets X number of teams ranked in the Top 10/15/25 based on "expert" prognostications and then the public responds with the overrated cry. So really the rankings and public opinion are two very different things. If your conference doesn't have a number of ranked teams then no, it can't really be said to be overrated. However, the Big Ten, Big 12 and SEC are ripe for such conversation simply because of the aforementioned numbers.

If only Tennessee was better than the 6th best PAC-10 team playing with their 3rd string QB and losing three of their best starters to injury in the first 7 minutes of the game. :wacko:

The real irony (or better said, funny thing) about this post is the fact that in the context of this thread it's merely the 5th best SEC team losing to the 6th best PAC 10 team on the road the first week of the season. :D

Doesn't really mean a whole lot when you look at it that way, now does it?

The real irony (or better said, funny thing) about this post is the fact that in the context of this thread it's merely the 5th best SEC team losing to the 6th best PAC 10 team on the road the first week of the season. :wacko:

Doesn't really mean a whole lot when you look at it that way, now does it?

Funny, I thought every team started the season 0-0. Oh wait, that's right this is College Football, where some teams get to start at a better spot than others despite being 0-0. Anyway, congratulations to both teams on a fun football game. I won money on the Bruins, so I'm not complaining.

Funny, I thought every team started the season 0-0. Oh wait, that's right this is College Football, where some teams get to start at a better spot than others despite being 0-0.

Can't argue with that. And I agree it is a bit of an issue to say the least.

So, a thread is started to proclaim a conference overrated after one week of games.

:D

No, that's not what this thread is about at all. I merely took some comments, made in another thread, questioning how the Big Ten could be overrated if "everyone" says they suck and pointed out that based on pre-season rankings (4/5 teams ranked in the top 25) that clearly "everyone" doesn't agree they suck. I believe I also made it clear that, given those rankings, the Big Ten could quite possibly prove to be overrated. In case you missed it, I also pointed out that based on those same pre-season rankings, the SEC and Big 12 could prove to be overrated as well.

I generally respect your opinion TOS but before you climb way up there on your homer...errrr... high horse and "yawn" over a topic, it would be nice if you would realize that there were no proclamations made nor opinions given in the original post of this thread. Just pointing out facts and possible scenarios.

My :wacko: I couldn't give a crap whether any conference is "overrated" but it often makes for interesting conversation.

My :wacko: I couldn't give a crap whether any conference is "overrated" but it often makes for interesting conversation.

The problem with "over/under-rated" positions is that it's dependent on who is doing the rating. And it's tough to argue mid-season unless some conference is truly taking a dump.

Heck, let's use the Big Ten as an example:

- Cal beats MSU, Mizzou beat Illini - who DIDN'T expect these results?

- Utah beats UM - notable only because UM is a "name" program; of course, if we go by the polls, Utah was "rated" ABOVE the Wolverines, who are retooling from a conventional offense to a spread option.

- uh, I wasn't paying that much attention, but I don't recall anything shocking. The Big Ten for the most part did what was expected in week 1. So thus far, it is "rated" pretty much where it should be.

Other conferences mileage may vary. As may the Big Tens', in following weeks. Future discussion point - if/when UW falls to Fresno St, an "upset" on the road that numerous pundits are already picking FSU in, will it still be an "upset"?

The problem with "over/under-rated" positions is that it's dependent on who is doing the rating. And it's tough to argue mid-season unless some conference is truly taking a dump.

- Cal beats MSU, Mizzou beat Illini - who DIDN'T expect these results? I certainly did.

- Utah beats UM - notable only because UM is a "name" program; of course, if we go by the polls, Utah was "rated" ABOVE the Wolverines, who are retooling from a conventional offense to a spread option. Ranked higher in the AP but not the USA Today. Either way, no surprise.

- uh, I wasn't paying that much attention, but I don't recall anything shocking. The Big Ten for the most part did what was expected in week 1. So thus far, it is "rated" pretty much where it should be. Again, I agree.

Other conferences mileage may vary. As may the Big Tens', in following weeks. Future discussion point - if/when UW falls to Fresno St, an "upset" on the road that numerous pundits are already picking FSU in, will it still be an "upset"? Probably not.

Now that I've commented on all of your points and obviously agreed with them all, I have one question for you... In the context of my point, what exactly is your point?

Inspired by some conversation in the "Michigan's backfield" thread:

How can a conference be overrated if "everyone" says they suck?

Big Ten has 5 teams in the USA Today Top 25/ 4 in the AP. I'd say there's plenty of room for demonstrating overratedness.

By the way, SEC has 6 teams and 4 in the top 10/11. I'd say that even if they are really, really good this year and one of those teams wins the NC they will still probably end up being collectively overrated. That many teams, that highly ranked is a tall order to live up to.

And speaking of tall orders, the Big 12 has 5 teams in the top 15. Good luck hanging onto that.

:wacko: OK EVERYONE! I NEED YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE!

If you read the above (the original post in this thread) and came away from it believing in some way that I was bashing the Big Ten, or anyone else for that matter, please raise your hand. Ok, good.

Now if you raised your hand, either you lied about reading the post or just chose to skew, in your own mind, what was actually being said. So what I need from you now is for you to either go back and re-read the post or just stop commenting. Re-reading the post may help to clarify for you the author's purpose. Ceasing to make comments without a clear understanding of the content will help to eliminate the appearance that you are either ignorant or uncomfortably sensitive. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

I have one question for you... In the context of my point, what exactly is your point?

:wacko:

It was just that calling someone "overrated" is all a matter of what ranking you're using. Calling the Big Ten "overrated" at this point in time when (after ONE WEEK) they've done about as well as everyone expected is kinda stupid.

EDIT - I'm just using the Big Ten as my example because they are who I'm most familiar with, and that gives me a concrete example to work from. I think the Pac-10 gets a bit of a bum rap at times, the Big XII is top-heavy with a crap bottom, the ACC still kinda sucks despite their best efforts to become a football conference, and The Big East's top 3-4 are surprisingly good (and outright surprising, with USF and Rutgers being contenders). But I don't pay much attention to each and every game there, so I don't know how well they've performed in regards to how they're "rated."

Edited by Chavez

It was just that calling someone "overrated" is all a matter of what ranking you're using. Calling the Big Ten "overrated" at this point in time when (after ONE WEEK) they've done about as well as everyone expected is kinda stupid.

Okay, let's clear something up here. In your initial post directed to me you were apparently giving me some sort of lesson on why calling someone overrated at this point in the season doesn't make sense. I sort of get that except for the fact that the topic of my thread is simply that, a topic, and not a judgement. I have to assume you jumped to the conclusion that this thread was going to call someone out as being overrated before ever reading the first post. Apparently you are not alone in this but if you had actually read what was written in that initial post instead of reading what you were expecting to see I'm sure you wouldn't have felt the need to lecture me. The reason I asked what your point was is that you went to all that trouble to give a lecture on why making an overrated claim doesn't make sense yet I never called anyone overrated. So I was wondering why your post seemed directed to me.

Now you're calling what I'm supposedly doing "kinda stupid". You should be very careful to know exactly what you're talking about before calling something stupid. Otherwise you might as well be doing that name calling in front of a mirror.

So I was wondering why your post seemed directed to me.

It wasn't directed AT YOU. It was using your statement as a jumping off point as to why I think most over/underrated arguments are kinda stupid - because it's dependent on who's doing the rating. To use a different example, Bubba Redneck comes in and says he thinks Lynyrd Skynyrd are underrated. I disagree, because I think they f'in suck and are overrated. We're operating from completely differing platforms.

Based on week one, is any conference particularly over/under-performing what the conventional wisdom for them was?

Now you're calling what I'm supposedly doing "kinda stupid". You should be very careful to know exactly what you're talking about before calling something stupid.

Again, if you didn't call any conference overrated after week one, then I'm not pointing any fingers at you. And you just said you didn't. As far as thinking you were praising/damning the Big Ten...

Why the Big Ten? Well, they're currently the national whipping boy for overratedness...oh, AND

....they are who I'm most familiar with, and that gives me a concrete example to work from.

It wasn't directed AT YOU. It was using your statement as a jumping off point...

Given this statement, I must say I was apparently guilty of what I was accusing others of. I simply assumed that because you quoted my statement that your post was addressing me. My bad.

For what it's worth, it was comments like the following that got me going. Not because I was bothered by what it said but the fact that it wasn't even close to on topic.

So, a thread is started to proclaim a conference overrated after one week of games.

Given this statement, I must say I was apparently guilty of what I was accusing others of. I simply assumed that because you quoted my statement that your post was addressing me. My bad.

Not a major mistake, it happens.