[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone here actually play?

policyvote

At the wizened old age of 20, inspired by this past playoff season (and Hasek's retirement) I finally decided to take up hockey. I'm playing roller hockey for now, just to get some experience, but I'm thinking of getting in shape and going out for ice hockey--if not next season, the season after. I know I'll never get anywhere significant, but what a hobby, eh? Too bad this goalie gear is so expensive . . . but it's a blast.

Well, anyone else out there play?

Moved to Fargo ND from Pt. Arena CA before my freshman year in high school. Was never able to get my ankles strong enough to be good. They'd give me some skates and a stick and it was my job to guard the blue line. Even that was fun. Enjoy, it is a great way to get exercise in the winter even if you can't really play. Didn't have the guts to even think about trying goalie.

I'm in my early 40s now and stopped playing ice hockey when I moved to CA after graduating from MSU. Played a (whole) lot up until then..... both pond hockey and organized hockey. I get on the blades now and again w/ nephews (son only 2 so not yet for him). The closest ice is about 30 miles over a mountain road. I encourage you to go for it with gusto as life has a way of catching up with time as you get along. thumbs_u

About 7 years ago went out and learned how to roller blade for the sole purpose of playing street hockey. I would play in pick up games. It's a blast! Haven't played for several years :D Never have played ice hockey though. Played lacrosse in hs and college.

Played in high school and college. Was lucky enough to attend college overseas, in Switzerland, and played there. Now I'm only playing in a men's league locally, but it is still real competitive.

Great game to play and watch. Good luck PV, and keep your head up. wink

The best way to take up the game, is to first get out two or three times a week playing pick-up hockey with some of your friends. Do not spend alot of money on equipement until you are sure you are going to play in a league of some sort after you played some pick-up hockey. Join a league that plays at least once a week and enjoy the game and some beer after the game with your new buddies.

I have played my whole life and made it as far as JR"A" level.Now I only play once a week in a men's league on Friday nights. But it's the getting out of the house for the night for some exercise,beer and seening your buddies that is the fun part.Enjoy!