[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lets go White Sox

Seahawk37

Sox will win 2 straight and then promptly be swept in the 1st round. Neither team really deserves to be there so.........

Yeah right...ok.

The Twins are team that let $220,000,000 in salary go in the off season with Hunter and Santana. They rely on scouting and developing young players. Just look at the young players on the roster and you can't tell with all the games they won, they don't deserve to be there when everybody had their doubts. Maybe the Twins should have went out and spent $300,000,000 then I guess they deserve to be there.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah right...ok.

The Twins are team that let $220,000,000 in salary go in the off season with Hunter and Santana. They rely on scouting and developing young players. Just look at the young players on the roster and you can't tell with all the games they won, they don't deserve to be there when everybody had their doubts. Maybe the Twins should have went out and spent $300,000,000 then I guess they deserve to be there.

I have watched a couple of seasons of this baseball stuff. When the chance to get in the play-offs presents itself you win games to get there. I am a Sox fan and I am saying that the Twins and Sox will be embarrassed in the play-offs. Whichever gets there that is.

Not sure what you mean by this... whoever wins the division deserves to be in the playoffs. They certainly "deserve" it more than the Dodgers, who got in with a whopping 84 wins, in by far the worst division in baseball. You can make an argument that neither team will make it very far in the playoffs, which is debatable, but how do you decide who "deserves" to be in and who doesn't? Given that all of the experts pretty much wrote in the Tigers to win the division, and in some cases, win it all, I think both of these teams deserve props for surpassing any/all expectations. The AL Central may not be loaded with powerhouse teams by media standards, but a lot of that is simply location. Teams on both coasts get all of the publicity... Teams in the Midwest don't. I personally think their division is the most well-balanced in baseball... In other words, there isn't a truly bad team in it. Worst team won 74-75 games.

Fair. I guess whoever gets in deserves it. My point is that the Twins and Sox are both playing so poorly when it really matters that I think either of them would be dominated by the rest of the AL play-off teams.

I have watched a couple of seasons of this baseball stuff. When the chance to get in the play-offs presents itself you win games to get there. I am a Sox fan and I am saying that the Twins and Sox will be embarrassed in the play-offs. Whichever gets there that is.

If the Twins get swept in the 1st round, so be it. I know they won't be embarrased and neither will the fans. Maybe a Sox fan would be because they should have put this away long time ago.

Both teams have had chances to seize control and neither has been able to ditch the other. Both teams losing the first two at home in their respective last series is not what I would have expected and I think they are each lucky to still have a shot at it at this point. If the Sux beat the Kitties tomorrow, I think they will beat the Twins in Chicago in the play in game as well. Hope that's not the case, but that is what I would bet on if forced :D

:wacko:Lets go TIGERS! :D

Fair. I guess whoever gets in deserves it. My point is that the Twins and Sox are both playing so poorly when it really matters that I think either of them would be dominated by the rest of the AL play-off teams.

Fair enough... That's why I was asking for an explanation. I can understand people thinking neither team will do any damage in the playoffs... I just wasn't sure what you meant by them not deserving to be there. For what it's worth, however, it seems that about every three or four years, the team that doesn't "deserve to be there" makes it to the Series. The MLB post-season rarely goes as predicted, by the fans or the media. All it takes is a hot starting pitcher or two, and ANY team can win it.... Happened twice for the Twins, in '87 and '91, plus a handful of other times in the past 10-15 years, that I can remember.... Arizona (Schilling/Johnson), Florida (Beckett), Anaheim (Lackey), and your White Sox a couple of years ago.

Fair enough... That's why I was asking for an explanation. I can understand people thinking neither team will do any damage in the playoffs... I just wasn't sure what you meant by them not deserving to be there. For what it's worth, however, it seems that about every three or four years, the team that doesn't "deserve to be there" makes it to the Series. The MLB post-season rarely goes as predicted, by the fans or the media. All it takes is a hot starting pitcher or two, and ANY team can win it.... Happened twice for the Twins, in '87 and '91, plus a handful of other times in the past 10-15 years, that I can remember.... Arizona (Schilling/Johnson), Florida (Beckett), Anaheim (Lackey), and your White Sox a couple of years ago.

Heck, don't forget the Cardinals of 06. Talk about smoke and mirrors.

what a great game that was

It was a good game and tough loss for the Twins. Blackburn pitched a heck of game for a rookie, but couldn't match Danks' performance. I though that was the right call to send Cuddy from third. Looking back, it was the Twins' only chance to score.

It was a good game and tough loss for the Twins. Blackburn pitched a heck of game for a rookie, but couldn't match Danks' performance. I though that was the right call to send Cuddy from third. Looking back, it was the Twins' only chance to score.

Absolutely the right call. I'm all :wacko: now.

It would be really sweet if Minnesota can pull this out. Ozzie Guillen is a piece of crap... Takes no responsibility for the fact that his team is a perennial underachiever. Then, he has to go out of his way to slam the opposing pitcher (who just shut his team down, mind you), and say that the guy deserves no respect. Classless. Not a surprise, though... Ozzie has always been quick to make excuses, get pissed at the media when things don't go his way, and pout.

And one more thing... learn to speak English, Ozzie, so we can understand more than every third word of what you're attempting to say.

I don't expect the Twins to do much damage in the playoffs if they do make it, but I would love to see it happen, just to spite that clown.

Well, you're right clown, the Twinkies won't do much in the Playoffs!! See ya next year Twinkies!!

Good season for the Twins but the way it ended is gonna leave a bad taste for a while... :wacko:

After sweeping the Sux here, they controlled their own destiny but could only muster 1 win against the Royals here at home. Considering that, they were really fairly lucky to even have a crack at the Tiebreaker game. Anyway, biggest game of the year and they could only muster 2 friggin hits! Sure, Danks pitched well but he's still Danks. Gotta be able to get something going against a guy like that (pitching on 3 days rest no less). Our batting champ couldnt come up with anything more than a failed bunt attempt and two Ks and our MVP candidate picked a fine time to slump. I dont think he got a ball out of the infield :D

The pitchers gave them a great chance to win, but the batters chit the bed and now they will get to think about losing a 1-0 game all offseason :D

Congrats to the Sox. They hung in there and did enough to win. Good luck vs the Rays

Well, you're right clown, the Twinkies won't do much in the Playoffs!! See ya next year Twinkies!!

And, who are you?

Good game by Danks. Doesn't change the fact that Ozzie is an underachieving POS. Twins beat their projected win total by 15 games... nothing to be disappointed about here. What exactly do the Sox have to be proud of? They should have clinched three weeks ago with their talent, but instead backed into a playoff and won because of a coin flip. :wacko:

And, who are you?

Good game by Danks. Doesn't change the fact that Ozzie is an underachieving POS. Twins beat their projected win total by 15 games... nothing to be disappointed about here. What exactly do the Sox have to be proud of? They should have clinched three weeks ago with their talent, but instead backed into a playoff and won because of a coin flip. :wacko:

I call sour grapes.

Nah... Honestly, I never expected the Twins to be in the position they were in... Talk about exceeding expectations... If Gardenhire doesn't get manager of the year, it's an absolute shame. I realize TB had a great season as well, but Minnesota had WAY less to work with. No, I wouldn't call it sour grapes. Two things bothered me this week, which probably prompted me to say what I did:

1) Ozzie Guillen's comments about Twins' pitchers deserving no respect. Basically, he can't man up and give credit to the right people when it's due. He's a joke. Always has been known to say stupid shlt to the media and then eat his words later. So, I simply called him out for what he is.

2) I realize the coin-flip thing has been going on for decades, but that doesn't mean it's the proper way to break a tie. Baseball has ALWAYS been the sport that takes the longest to recognize when tradition sometimes just doesn't make sense. They eventually come around and make the changes that are necessary, but it always takes a while... inter-league play, wild card in the playoffs, etc. I think this rule will be changed at some point as well.... Why play 162 games, including nearly 20 between the two teams in question, only to break the tie with a coin flip? I realize you still have to play that 163rd game, but in this case, the home team was almost assured of winning, no matter which way the flip went. I'm not saying the Twins should have won just because they took the season series, but a coin flip? I can't really think of a more archaic rule in sports, to be honest.

Now, that said, I really don't think the Twins or their fans (or the White Sox had they lost last night) have any reason to complain... Both teams basically backed their way into that tie, and had either one taken care of business last weekend, it would have been a non-issue. The only difference is that the Twins weren't expected to win anything. In fairness to the Sox, they weren't either, until the mid-point of the season, when everyone realized that Detroit was nothing more than a stacked lineup on paper, and wasn't going to make a run at anything this year. So, don't take this as a complaint.... I don't believe Minnesota "got screwed" or anything... I simply disagree with the rule. It's a horrible way to break a tie, when both teams are so dominant at home.

As far as Butkus' grandson or whatever, I consider him a non-factor... Just one of the many message board lurkers who appear out of nowhere every once in a while to assure that this board meets its required "Newb Factor." :D

There... now I have managed to piss off Chicago, Detroit, and Tampa Bay fans all in one post.... carry on. :wacko:

Nah... Honestly, I never expected the Twins to be in the position they were in... Talk about exceeding expectations... If Gardenhire doesn't get manager of the year, it's an absolute shame. I realize TB had a great season as well, but Minnesota had WAY less to work with. No, I wouldn't call it sour grapes. Two things bothered me this week, which probably prompted me to say what I did:

1) Ozzie Guillen's comments about Twins' pitchers deserving no respect. Basically, he can't man up and give credit to the right people when it's due. He's a joke. Always has been known to say stupid shlt to the media and then eat his words later. So, I simply called him out for what he is.

2) I realize the coin-flip thing has been going on for decades, but that doesn't mean it's the proper way to break a tie. Baseball has ALWAYS been the sport that takes the longest to recognize when tradition sometimes just doesn't make sense. They eventually come around and make the changes that are necessary, but it always takes a while... inter-league play, wild card in the playoffs, etc. I think this rule will be changed at some point as well.... Why play 162 games, including nearly 20 between the two teams in question, only to break the tie with a coin flip? I realize you still have to play that 163rd game, but in this case, the home team was almost assured of winning, no matter which way the flip went. I'm not saying the Twins should have won just because they took the season series, but a coin flip? I can't really think of a more archaic rule in sports, to be honest.

Now, that said, I really don't think the Twins or their fans (or the White Sox had they lost last night) have any reason to complain... Both teams basically backed their way into that tie, and had either one taken care of business last weekend, it would have been a non-issue. The only difference is that the Twins weren't expected to win anything. In fairness to the Sox, they weren't either, until the mid-point of the season, when everyone realized that Detroit was nothing more than a stacked lineup on paper, and wasn't going to make a run at anything this year. So, don't take this as a complaint.... I don't believe Minnesota "got screwed" or anything... I simply disagree with the rule. It's a horrible way to break a tie, when both teams are so dominant at home.

As far as Butkus' grandson or whatever, I consider him a non-factor... Just one of the many message board lurkers who appear out of nowhere every once in a while to assure that this board meets its required "Newb Factor." :D

There... now I have managed to piss off Chicago, Detroit, and Tampa Bay fans all in one post.... carry on. :wacko:

Gopher everything is Ok. Relax. I saw the banter between you 2 and just thought I would try to add something to spice it up.

I wish I could feel like my Sox have a chance but I just don't see anything consistent enough for me to believe that.

That's why they play the games!

Gopher everything is Ok. Relax. I saw the banter between you 2 and just thought I would try to add something to spice it up.

I wish I could feel like my Sox have a chance but I just don't see anything consistent enough for me to believe that.

That's why they play the games!

Everything is fine here... I sometimes get a bit "wordy" with my responses/explanations. :wacko: Like I said before, once you get into the playoffs, anything can happen. But, if their pitching staff is somewhat worn down, it might be tough. Even so, you never know. Danks was solid last night... maybe he'll get on a roll and make things interesting.

Ozzie Guillen is a piece of crap... Takes no responsibility for the fact that his team is a perennial underachiever.

And you're a massive moran. In five years as Sox manager, Ozzie has a WS championship, a pennant, two division titles, two 90-win seasons, and a 433-378 record. He's gotten career years out of mediocre players like Jon Garland, Neal Cotts, Dustin Hermanson, Cliff Politte, Scott Podsednik, and a severely-declining Jose Contreras. Just this year, Ozzie and his staff have completely turned around two mediocre, young pitchers (John Danks and Gavin Floyd) and have also developed two young hitters who will likely end up in the Top 5 in the MVP and ROY voting (Carlos Quentin and Alexei Ramirez, respectively). Look at the way that he and Don Cooper developed Bobby Jenks, a 270-lb. alcoholic with a surgically-repaired elbow, who went from unemployed to stud closer and WS champion in less than a year.

I don't condone much of what Ozzie says, but calling him an "underachiever" is laughably stupid.

Edited by Bill Swerski

And you're a massive moran. In five years as Sox manager, Ozzie has a WS championship, a pennant, two division titles, two 90-win seasons, and a 433-378 record. He's gotten career years out of mediocre players like Jon Garland, Neal Cotts, Dustin Hermanson, Cliff Politte, Scott Podsednik, and a severely-declining Jose Contreras. Just this year, Ozzie and his staff have completely turned around two mediocre, young pitchers (John Danks and Gavin Floyd) and have also developed two young hitters who will likely end up in the Top 5 in the MVP and ROY voting (Carlos Quentin and Alexei Ramirez, respectively). Look at the way that he and Don Cooper developed Bobby Jenks, a 270-lb. alcoholic with a surgically-repaired elbow, who went from unemployed to stud closer and WS champion in less than a year.

I don't condone much of what Ozzie says, but calling him an "underachiever" is laughably stupid.

Ozzie is a wackadoo. Ozzie has said some of the dumbest things I've ever heard out of a manager's mouth. I dislike the guy as a person.

However - his ballplayer play as if their life depended on it. No wait - their families life. In short, he has his team balling, and to call him out in any way is asinine. His results speak for themselves, and baseball has been filled with unsavory personalities since the dawn of time. Stop being a bitch about it.

ANd I hate the Sox.