[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lets go White Sox

Seahawk37

And you're a massive moran. In five years as Sox manager, Ozzie has a WS championship, a pennant, two division titles, two 90-win seasons, and a 433-378 record. He's gotten career years out of mediocre players like Jon Garland, Neal Cotts, Dustin Hermanson, Cliff Politte, Scott Podsednik, and a severely-declining Jose Contreras. Just this year, Ozzie and his staff have completely turned around two mediocre, young pitchers (John Danks and Gavin Floyd) and have also developed two young hitters who will likely end up in the Top 5 in the MVP and ROY voting (Carlos Quentin and Alexei Ramirez, respectively). Look at the way that he and Don Cooper developed Bobby Jenks, a 270-lb. alcoholic with a surgically-repaired elbow, who went from unemployed to stud closer and WS champion in less than a year.

I don't condone much of what Ozzie says, but calling him an "underachiever" is laughably stupid.

Whatever....

And Quentin is probably the next guy to get busted for roids.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever....

Clever retort. :D

And Quentin is probably the next guy to get busted for roids.

Yeah, because the Sox have been a haven for players who ended up on the Mitchell Report. Notice how Kenny elected to take a pass when Paul Byrd cleared waivers back in August. You're probably also unaware that Quentin was a first-round pick who absolutely raked at every level of the minors.

Ignorant crybaby Twinkies fan. :wacko:

Yeah, because the Sox have been a haven for players who ended up on the Mitchell Report. Notice how Kenny elected to take a pass when Paul Byrd cleared waivers back in August. You're probably also unaware that Quentin was a first-round pick who absolutely raked at every level of the minors.

This may be true to an extent, but he has never hit for power numbers (HR) anywhere close to what he did this year. My comment about him was somewhat sarcastic... I have nothing against the guy, and don't honestly have any reason to believe he is or is not using anything illegal. But, anytime someone's HR totals increase that dramatically, it does make one wonder... That's all I'm saying.

As far as Ozzie goes, I admit that to call him a "perennial underachiever" may have been a bit of a stretch. He's one of those guys that a lot of people can't stand (including myself) because of the things he says. Sox fans probably learn to live with it, because the results HAVE been good while he's been there. So, you're right... like I said, underachiever might have been a poor choice of words. I guess I just have a problem with a guy who talks out of his a$$, can't admit when he's wrong, refuses to give others credit, and always find a way to pass the blame for everything that he's involved with that turns out bad.

And, no, I'm not ignorant, and I'm definitely not crying. :wacko:

Edited by Gopher

Ozzie is a wackadoo. Ozzie has said some of the dumbest things I've ever heard out of a manager's mouth. I dislike the guy as a person.

However - his ballplayer play as if their life depended on it. No wait - their families life. In short, he has his team balling, and to call him out in any way is asinine. His results speak for themselves, and baseball has been filled with unsavory personalities since the dawn of time. Stop being a bitch about it.

ANd I hate the Sox.

I agree with your first point (obviously). :D As far as the second part, I guess I just don't see it. From what I've seen of the Sox this year, they didn't really have much of a sense of "urgency" to win the division or anything. They basically backed into a tie with a team that they should have beaten by 7-10 games. Maybe you're talking about prior years, or the Sox under Ozzie in general... I don't know. But, to suggest that they're playing like there's no tomorrow this year just doesn't seem accurate. Maybe on Monday they did, but certainly not the few weeks prior to that.

I'm not sure who you were calling a bltch (since you quoted Bill S.), but I'm guessing that was aimed at me... Once again, I really don't think that's the case here. This all started because Ozzie would not give the Twins their due and basically sounded like a complete idiot in his interview after they lost to the Twins a week ago. Just rubbed me the wrong way... nothing more, nothing less. And, to be honest, I don't dislike the Sox any more/less than any other team... I just have a problem with their manager. But, I guess it would be unrealistic to expect anything different from him than what we get. As far as the Twins, I didn't expect them to win 80 games this year, so it was a success. :wacko:

This may be true to an extent, but he has never hit for power numbers (HR) anywhere close to what he did this year. My comment about him was somewhat sarcastic... I have nothing against the guy, and don't honestly have any reason to believe he is or is not using anything illegal. But, anytime someone's HR totals increase that dramatically, it does make one wonder... That's all I'm saying.

Quentin hit 21 HRs in each of his first two (and only full) seasons in the minors (450 ABs). Sounds like he had plenty of power back then as well. His ML career in AZ was injury-plagued and he only played sparingly.

As far as Ozzie goes, I admit that to call him a "perennial underachiever" may have been a bit of a stretch.

"Factually incorrect" would be a better way to characterize it.

He's one of those guys that a lot of people can't stand (including myself) because of the things he says.

I'll be the first to admit that Ozzie makes an absolute ton of highly-unprofessional and downright offensive comments.

I guess I just have a problem with a guy who talks out of his a$$, can't admit when he's wrong, refuses to give others credit, and always find a way to pass the blame for everything that he's involved with that turns out bad.

You're wrong on those last two points. Some of the crazy stuff that Ozzie says is done specifically to deflect negative attention away from his players and ONTO HIMSELF. Note the off-the-wall comments he made about the Sox not hitting back in late May. They responded by slugging the crap out of the ball in June. Ozzie goes out of his way to protect his players, and one result of that is their willingness to run through a wall for him. So while he is offensive and unprofessional at times, there is a method to his madness. He knows exactly which buttons to push and when to push them. Ozzie has also gone out of his way to give his players credit, using the famous (in Chicago, at least) "you can't win the Kentucky derby if you don't have the horses" line after they won the WS. He also partially blamed himself for their April/May slump this year, saying that changes needed to be made and suggested that he might need to be replaced.

I'm not sure why you decided to troll in a Sox thread with an anti-Ozzie tirade. I'll be the first to tell you that Gardenhire the best manager in the majors (with apologies to Mike Scioscia, who comes in a close second) and that the Twins have some of the best scouting in the bigs.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I guess I just have a problem with a guy who talks out of his a$$, can't admit when he's wrong, refuses to give others credit, and always find a way to pass the blame for everything that he's involved with that turns out bad.

Hmmmm. As a Twins fan, I probably should just step aside but I don't think Ozzie can be accused of not giving the Twins credit. He's gone out of his way to give them credit over the years - it was he who invented the term "Piranhas", which the Twins immediately adopted. Sure, it was maybe a backhanded compliment but Ozzie has repeatedly said he admires the way the Twins hustle and play ball to their strengths. He and Gardenhire are not that dissimilar under the skin.

Quentin hit 21 HRs in each of his first two (and only full) seasons in the minors (450 ABs). Sounds like he had plenty of power back then as well. His ML career in AZ was injury-plagued and he only played sparingly.

And he was on pace for 43-44 this year...

"Factually incorrect" would be a better way to characterize it.

Hey, you're entitled to your opinion. Fact is, they crapped the 2nd half of this season down their leg, and it's not the first time that has happened under Ozzie. Maybe it isn't an every-year thing, but it's happened before.

You're wrong on those last two points. Some of the crazy stuff that Ozzie says is done specifically to deflect negative attention away from his players and ONTO HIMSELF. Note the off-the-wall comments he made about the Sox not hitting back in late May. They responded by slugging the crap out of the ball in June. Ozzie goes out of his way to protect his players, and one result of that is their willingness to run through a wall for him. So while he is offensive and unprofessional at times, there is a method to his madness. He knows exactly which buttons to push and when to push them. Ozzie has also gone out of his way to give his players credit, using the famous (in Chicago, at least) "you can't win the Kentucky derby if you don't have the horses" line after they won the WS. He also partially blamed himself for their April/May slump this year, saying that changes needed to be made and suggested that he might need to be replaced.

I don't know if I've ever heard him take blame for anything... Maybe it's the difference between what he tells local media versus what we hear on a national level, I don't know. It just seems like the only time Ozzie is in the news is when he's making ridiculous comments or saying something unprofessional. Maybe that's ESPN being unfair to him... they only show the bad stuff. I don't live in Chicago, so I don't know what everyone sees there, but we certainly don't see what you're talking about on the West coast.

I'm not sure why you decided to troll in a Sox thread with an anti-Ozzie tirade. I'll be the first to tell you that Gardenhire the best manager in the majors (with apologies to Mike Scioscia, who comes in a close second) and that the Twins have some of the best scouting in the bigs.

I didn't. I made a comment about Ozzie in the only White Sox thread in this forum. One that had one post prior to mine in over two weeks (the original post). Maybe I should have started my own topic, but I didn't feel the need.... I guess I just wanted to give the original poster some "company". :wacko: I wouldn't call it trolling... prior to my post, this technically wasn't even a thread, since nobody else responded to Seahawks' topic. Like I said already, it had nothing to do for my dislike of the White Sox, which really doesn't even exist. Other than being a divisional rival I guess, I have nothing against them. I was simply tired of hearing Ozzie make stupid comments.

And he was on pace for 43-44 this year...

Perhaps you forgot the part about Quentin only getting 450 at-bats in the minors. Their seasons are shorter. Most sluggers max out at ~30 HRs per season in the minors.

Fact is, they crapped the 2nd half of this season down their leg,

Fact is, they were 72-90 last season. I'd say that 89-73 and a division title is quite an improvement, and a credit to Ozzie and his staff.

and it's not the first time that has happened under Ozzie. Maybe it isn't an every-year thing, but it's happened before.

LOL, Ozzie's had ONE losing season as a manager. He has a ring. He has two division titles and two 90-win seasons. All in his first five years as a manager.

It's funny that you rip Ozzie for not getting it done down the stretch, when Gardenhire hasn't won a playoff series since 2002. And I don't consider Gardenhire to be anything less than a really good manager.

I don't know if I've ever heard him take blame for anything

That's probably because you don't pay attention and have no idea what you're talking about, as evidenced by the massive amount of ill-informed crap you're spewing in this thread. If you actually followed the Sox through something other than the controversey-obsessed national media, you'd know that Ozzie's players tend to like him and that he does take blame for his (and even their) shortcomings.

Edited by Bill Swerski