[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Good easy spicy chili recipe?

gbpfan1231

I am sure there has been a topic like this but I am looking for a good easy chili recipe. Hopefully spicy. I am not a huge bean in my chili fan but do like it with noodles. If the recipe does have beans I am not against having them.

Anyone have a specific chili recipe they can paste in here to help me out or point me in the right direction if has already been posted.

Thanks in advance.

I find the secret is to get chipotles in a can with adobo sauce and add it slowly and taste until you get the amount of heat you're looking for.

I agree one hundred percent on the chipotles in adobo. And it is key to add them slowly and taste along the way to get the heat right. I made the mistake of over doing it once and it burned as much on the way out as it did on the way in... but it was still good.

In addition to a little chocolate to mild out the heat, I have also let my chili simmer with a cinnamon stick or two in it (remove before serving). It adds a slight flavor but it comes out nice. I'll look for the recipe. I essentially took the base recipe from either Tyler Florence or Bobby Flay and then tweaked it to my preferences, and it had been a hit when I have made it.

Here's an excellent thread on chili! :wacko:

I find the secret is to get chipotles in a can with adobo sauce and add it slowly and taste until you get the amount of heat you're looking for.

GL and keep us posted.

Thanks man.

When you say to add chipotles are you talking about cutting up the actual pepper or adding the adobo sauce or both?

Thanks man.

When you say to add chipotles are you talking about cutting up the actual pepper or adding the adobo sauce or both?

Go to the ethnic aisle in your supermarket and you'll see something like this. This is a 7 ounce can of volcanic heat. What I do is take one pepper out and mince it up very fine with a chef's knife, then add it and the sauce from the can to the chili in small amounts until it's as hot as I like it.

If you want something a little different, very good and very healthy:

Catfish Chipotle Chard Chili

Sautee 6-7 cloves of garlic roughly diced in a teaspoon of coconut oil. Add two diced yellow onions. When they are sweated through, add 2 lbs catfish nuggets (diced filets if you can't get the nuggets) and half a can of chipotles in adobo. (i don't dice them, but they sort of fall apart as it simmers)

Add one finely diced habanero pepper.

Add one bunch of diced red swiss chard (stems too)

Add one can pinto beans, one can kidney beans.

Add one can of crushed tomato and basil.

simmer for 2-3 hours.

Add a diced bunch of cilantro about ten minutes before it is finished.

Really infuses with the chipotle flavor.

Season with sea salt, pepper, and a lot of chili powder.

Edited by Los Gigantes

I noticed that Carol Shelby mix is mentioned in other topics. I don't think I can get that around here. It has 4 packets it sounds like. Can I buy things around here to substitute?

3 of the 4 packets are: Salt, Cayenne, and Masa Flour. All of these are easily found in the store. Only problem is masa flour is usually sold in a 5 pound bag, and you really only need 2 or 3 tablespoons to thicken up the chili. I think plain old AP flour could be substituted, but be sure to put it in the pot when you're sweating the veggies, before any broth or you'll get lumps.

As for the 4th magical packet in the Carol Shelby, that's the spice packet. IIRC it's just chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder. . .that kinda stuff. But in what ratios I have no idea. And that's where the magic happens.

I noticed that Carol Shelby mix is mentioned in other topics. I don't think I can get that around here. It has 4 packets it sounds like. Can I buy things around here to substitute?

I seldom tout specific products because everyone has different taste buds. Every once in a while something comes by that I need to become a champion for. This is one such case. You cannot believe the difference this makes.

Gebhardt's Chili Powder

3 of the 4 packets are: Salt, Cayenne, and Masa Flour. All of these are easily found in the store. Only problem is masa flour is usually sold in a 5 pound bag, and you really only need 2 or 3 tablespoons to thicken up the chili. I think plain old AP flour could be substituted, but be sure to put it in the pot when you're sweating the veggies, before any broth or you'll get lumps.

As for the 4th magical packet in the Carol Shelby, that's the spice packet. IIRC it's just chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder. . .that kinda stuff. But in what ratios I have no idea. And that's where the magic happens.

One thing I've used to thicken the chili a bit is corn meal. Adds a decent flavor (helps that I love corn bread with chili) and does the job of thickening the chili nicely

I did my silver medal chili today, but switched out the red meat for ground turkey and cubed chicken breast (health kick).

Came out AWESOME.

Oh, and I served it Cincinnati style (over spaghetti). Nothing beats a good 3 way.

The dish tunred out good. Had agreat taste but not sure I would call it chili. Had more of a stew feeling for me but nonetheless was worthy of making again.

Thanks Sheik you gave me a recipe I will keep and continue to make.

:wacko:

As with any recipe, you should adapt and modify it to your tastes. And if you do improve on it, please post it so we all reap the rewards!

ok, this will sound like heresy to some, but here we go. It's not really chili, but it's very quick, very tasty, and very chili-like. In fact, I had it for dinner tonight.

1.5# steak, preferably a cheap and tasty cut like Flat Iron or Skirt, cubed into bite sized pieces

1 14.5 oz can Fire Roasted Tomatoes

3-5 canned chipotles in adobo sauce

3 cloves garlic

1 medium onion, sliced

1 14.5 oz can pinto beans

1. Make your sauce - combine chipotles, garlic, and tomatoes in a blender and puree it all until smooth.

2. Brown the steak - hit the steak with a little kosher salt, then into a hot pan with a little vegetable oil. Once it's nice and brown, remove it.

3. Finish - add the onions to the pan with a little more oil (if necessary) and cook until golden. Add sauce, steak, and beans (rinse them first, lest it all get gloopy) and simmer for a few minutes to tighten up the sauce and get everything heated through.

And you're done. Maybe a little cilantro and lime, but it doesn't even need that.

Is it authentic chili? Not at all. But it's the same idea (beef in chile sauce) and it only takes 20 minutes, and barely costs 20 bucks for about 4 servings.

I made the Carroll Shelby on Saturday. pretty decent. forgot tomato sauce and all I had were diced tomatoes in a can. used those but thinking next time I'll get the sauce. I also topped it with crushed hot n spicy cheez its, cheddar and sour cream

• 3 weeks later...

From looking at the ingredients in the Carroll Shelby's chili kit, you might want to check out Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm Chili. Similar concept with the pre-measured packets of spices to use. I've used it for years as a starting off point for chili here at home.

I've never had chili over pasta. :wacko: Of course, round these parts, I wouldn't make it without a generous helping of kidney beans in it. Rib stickin' goodness. :D

just emptied the pantry and crisper into the crock for chili.......gotta love not havin to go to the store for anything :D

ground beef

tomato sauce and crushed

white chicken chili packet :wacko:

some rib rub

beans in chili sauce can

big f'n onion

celery

green pepper

garlic

:D