[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

#2 Rated conference ?

theeohiostate

I'm just bringing up what the announcers were talking about all game long. Still doesn't change the fact that, there was no upside to Wisconsin going there at all, and still, they did. Because if you win, you either got lucky to win (which is what you say) or you were supposed to win and Fresno State sucks because they don't win an SEC Championship (detlef). And if they LOSE, god help them, might as well throw Bielema into the Wisconsin State pen. High Risk, very little return. And that's why teams back out. That's what happens in a system that lets administrations decide 5-8 years in advance on who they will play. Nebraska and Miami just signed for a home and home in 2014 and 2015. 6 and 7 years out. Is it any wonder why non-bcs conferences don't feel they get a fair shake?

I'm just bringing up what the announcers were talking about all game long. Still doesn't change the fact that, there was no upside to Wisconsin going there at all, and still, they did. Because if you win, you either got lucky to win (which is what you say) or you were supposed to win and Fresno State sucks because they don't win an SEC Championship (detlef). And if they LOSE, god help them, might as well throw Bielema into the Wisconsin State pen. High Risk, very little return. And that's why teams back out. That's what happens in a system that lets administrations decide 5-8 years in advance on who they will play. Nebraska and Miami just signed for a home and home in 2014 and 2015. 6 and 7 years out. Is it any wonder why non-bcs conferences don't feel they get a fair shake?

:wacko: What he said.

Once again, reading way too much into what I'm saying. I understand your point, high risk, low reward. Thing is, most people who understand the game realized that this was not a game that Wisc was "supposed to win" which is why on a few of the college football shows I saw enough guys were calling for an FSU upset that they agreed that it really wouldn't be an upset. Jesus Brian, you've never played the martyr card before and, frankly, it doesn't suit you well. You're typically a voice of reason around here.

I don't think Fresno sucks and am frankly insulted by the implication that I think any non-SEC team isn't worth a damned. Do I think the SEC is hands down the best conference? Absolutely. The fact that we're all arguing about who should be #2 tells me that we're all in agreement about who's top dog so that hardly puts me into the fanatic category. Hell, what I want more than anything else this year is for ECU to run the table. Then there'll be a non-BCS, undefeated team with victories over two defending BCS conference champs on their record. That will be a damned big fly in the ointment. I do understand that schools from smaller conferences can be tough outs.

This doesn't change the fact that, you're the Big 10. If the only good thing you can say about your conference is that one of your best teams escaped Fresno with a close win, that says a lot.

Well things aren't going too good for the Big Ten as far as the media is concerned and most fans. Somehow Ohio State losing to SEC teams and USC is what is make or break for this conference. The truth is, Ohio State has been getting beat by SEC teams and USC for the past 30 years. What's changed? The Big Ten is more than just Ohio State. I understand that they've won the conference, and then gotten beat by better teams, but all that means is that the SEC's best was better than the Big Tens best. If people are gonna bring up conferences, then it's all about the words. Conference. As in, more than one team. Honestly, the Big Ten has done exactly what most thought it would thus far this year. They've beaten the teams they were supposed to beat, and lost to the teams that were clearly better. Outside of Michigan losing to Notre Dame, who is improved this year, and Michigan has there worst team since before Bo. I'm just saying let the season play out. I know that is an unpopular thing to say, but I look at all of this as a chance for the rest of the conference to rise up and take the throne. Penn State, Wisconsin, and yes even my beloved Hawkeyes are all taking care of the teams they're supposed to take care of, and have positioned themselves to have good years. I mean Purdue was 8 point dogs at home to Oregon, and let the game slip away. I think Oregon is a solid football team, and it's a positive sign for Purdue going forward. Michigan State went out to Cal, and lost a tight ball game. Going out west is never easy, especially against a (going by pac 10 fans here) top tier Pac 10 team. Michigan State has a good rushing attack and could hang in there with just about anyone not named USC, and some other top schools nationally. I mean the signature SEC win so far was Alabama whooping on Clemson. Whose to say Fresno State isn't BETTER than Clemson? This is just an opporutunity for the rest of the Big Ten to once again seize the moment, and let some of that healing begin.

Well things aren't going too good for the Big Ten as far as the media is concerned and most fans. Somehow Ohio State losing to SEC teams and USC is what is make or break for this conference. The truth is, Ohio State has been getting beat by SEC teams and USC for the past 30 years. What's changed? The Big Ten is more than just Ohio State. I understand that they've won the conference, and then gotten beat by better teams, but all that means is that the SEC's best was better than the Big Tens best. If people are gonna bring up conferences, then it's all about the words. Conference. As in, more than one team. Honestly, the Big Ten has done exactly what most thought it would thus far this year. They've beaten the teams they were supposed to beat, and lost to the teams that were clearly better. Outside of Michigan losing to Notre Dame, who is improved this year, and Michigan has there worst team since before Bo. I'm just saying let the season play out. I know that is an unpopular thing to say, but I look at all of this as a chance for the rest of the conference to rise up and take the throne. Penn State, Wisconsin, and yes even my beloved Hawkeyes are all taking care of the teams they're supposed to take care of, and have positioned themselves to have good years. I mean Purdue was 8 point dogs at home to Oregon, and let the game slip away. I think Oregon is a solid football team, and it's a positive sign for Purdue going forward. Michigan State went out to Cal, and lost a tight ball game. Going out west is never easy, especially against a (going by pac 10 fans here) top tier Pac 10 team. Michigan State has a good rushing attack and could hang in there with just about anyone not named USC, and some other top schools nationally. I mean the signature SEC win so far was Alabama whooping on Clemson. Whose to say Fresno State isn't BETTER than Clemson? This is just an opporutunity for the rest of the Big Ten to once again seize the moment, and let some of that healing begin.

Fair enough. Fine points to be sure. I want to, once again, remind that the only reason I was piling on the Big 10 was because one of your more annoying conference apologists bothered to start a thread taking crap about another conference in the same weekend his beloved Buckeyes got manhandled. Honestly, if Sgt Ryan, some other Big 12 honk, or, hell, even you would have authored the topic, I may have left well enough alone. Oh hell, who am I fooling. For two years now I've been claiming that OSU's regular season accomplishments have to be put into perspective by the fact that they've rolled through a conference that hasn't really been all that.

And it wouldn't surprise me if Fresno was better than Clemson. At this point it is safe to say that they're at least equal. However, in all fairness, Wisc didn't "whoop up" on Fresno the way Bama took care of Clemson.

If I were to rank the conferences, it would look like this:

SEC- You have to be a hater to not give it up to these guys again

long drop

Big 12- Still early this year but OU seems elite and last year OU, Kansas, and Mizzou represented

Pac 10- Somebody but USC needs to step up and do something but at least they have USC

Big 10- They've lacked a truly elite team for sometime and everyone seems to lay down for OSU, but they do show up OOC better than...

Big East- They've had a nice showing the last few years but this year they seem to be horrid and likely will take the bottom spot from...

ACC- So much for expansion making the league a football conference.

no reward?? laughable - you do realize- this is a QUALITY win right?? Fresno will be ranked at the end of the year- and this will be a solid road win on the Badgers resume. I mean, this very well could be their ONLY quality win all season- looking at their schedule, they would need to take out PSU or OSU at home- I don't see any other teams that will be top 25 on the slate.............................

solid points :D

latest Sagarin ratings as usual- the dude is on point at this juncture. Carry on

1 SEC (A) = 81.27

2 BIG 12 (A) = 78.84

3 PAC-10 (A) = 77.09

4 BIG TEN (A) = 76.96

5 ATLANTIC C. (A) = 76.83

6 BIG EAST

So, you pretty much proved my point, which was that the two conferences are fairly close in overall depth/talent. :D USC is clearly the best team in either conference. Let's just assume for a second that these rankings actually mean something and have some validity. SEC is two and a half points ahead of the next best conference. Then, there is an almost two-point gap between #2 and #3. PAC-10 is a measely 13 hundredths of a point ahead of the Big 10. So what? Like I've said before, I'm not here to argue over which conference is better. It's an overdone, lame argument that can't be proven one way or the other. It's all speculation. The only thing I took exception to was the claim that there are 3-4 Pac-10 teams that could beat anyone in the Big 10, which seems a little bit far-fetched to me, to say the least.

Both conferences had a brutal week overall. I venture to guess that, if we were to throw out USC (or even USC and OSU), the two conferences would be dead even, or possibly even the Big 10 slightly ahead of the Pac-10. Like I said, though, this argument is filled with a bunch of speculation and hypotheticals, which kind of makes it pointless. Last time I checked, no conference gets a trophy for conference of the year when it's all said and done. :wacko:

So, you pretty much proved my point, which was that the two conferences are fairly close in overall depth/talent. :D USC is clearly the best team in either conference. Let's just assume for a second that these rankings actually mean something and have some validity. SEC is two and a half points ahead of the next best conference. Then, there is an almost two-point gap between #2 and #3. PAC-10 is a measely 13 hundredths of a point ahead of the Big 10. So what? Like I've said before, I'm not here to argue over which conference is better. It's an overdone, lame argument that can't be proven one way or the other. It's all speculation. The only thing I took exception to was the claim that there are 3-4 Pac-10 teams that could beat anyone in the Big 10, which seems a little bit far-fetched to me, to say the least.

Both conferences had a brutal week overall. I venture to guess that, if we were to throw out USC (or even USC and OSU), the two conferences would be dead even, or possibly even the Big 10 slightly ahead of the Pac-10. Like I said, though, this argument is filled with a bunch of speculation and hypotheticals, which kind of makes it pointless. Last time I checked, no conference gets a trophy for conference of the year when it's all said and done. :wacko:

all good- the conference thang is a bit tired, but let's face it, until we have an actual playoff- strenght of schedule, and overall conference strength matters, plus this is college football!! and it is kinda fun :D

I mean, if it wasn't for conference strength- the SEC would actually play people OOC - as it is now, they can skate by b4 the SEC kicks in...

I only said UO was better than anyone in the Big 11- I think they are - is that really a stretch? the are loaded - even with their 3rd string QB

Penn St is the best I have seen so far, which coincidentally is the Big 11's ONLY W heads up vs the Pac 10 this year -

I mean, The Big 12 is under the radar - but dayum - I don' think any conference can match UO, Mizzou 1-2.

at this point- USC and OKL are the clear top teams

gonna be fun year - and will only get better when we get into league play and USC will have some real games......... :D

Florida plays Georgia, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, and Florida State every year. These teams are typically in the top 25. This year, we played the Hurricanes. When this game was scheduled, I assume we didn't know that the Hurricanes would be a young and re-building program. We also rotate through Alabama and South Carolina. On top of that, if Florida is fortunate enough to win their division, we have to play another ranked SEC team for the SEC championship.

I certainly want Florida to schedule a few out of conference cupcakes along the way.

Edited by untateve

no reward?? laughable - you do realize- this is a QUALITY win right?? Fresno will be ranked at the end of the year- and this will be a solid road win on the Badgers resume. I mean, this very well could be their ONLY quality win all season- looking at their schedule, they would need to take out PSU or OSU at home- I don't see any other teams that will be top 25 on the slate.............................

I think it is a good win. I think Fresno State is a darn good football team. I'm merely pointing out what the perception is by average fans. And again we'll have to see how the rest of the Big Ten does this coming year. There are a lot of unknown teams that are better this year than they were last year in the Big Ten. Time will tell. With Michigan down in the dumps, and the unknown factor of how Ohio State is mentally, I will say it again, the Big Ten is up for grabs this season. They may not have a team that can compete with a USC (there aren't many out there, no shocker there) or Oklahoma or even Georgia, but I do think the Big Ten will be deeper this year.

I'm sure WC or the Prof will correct me on this but I think the Pac is 0-6 against the Big Sky or Mountain West powerhouse conf. the past 2 weeks. :D

I think you're right. Tough 2 weeks for the Pac-10 :wacko:

The Pac-10 looks to be down a bit this year. It's early though so let's see how this thing plays out.

The only conference that I feel could make USC's life miserable is the SEC. The SEC has the speed to match USC. But USC has both size and speed where needed, which is very scary IMO. I could see an SEC team matching up fairly well with USC , maybe even Oklahoma. Oklahoma certainly has the talent, but the coaching always seems to go on sabbatical come bowl time. I think USC desrvedly so has the #1 ranking. Maybe the Pac-10 isn't that good this year. They certainly had a horrible week that's for sure. But that doesn't make SC any less potent. Just my :wacko:

More of the same this week.

Ranked Pac 10 team going down to unranked out of conference opponent.

It's pretty obvious the Pac 10 is USC and that's it ! !

Cake walk to the NC for the Trojans. Bucks will be the toughest foe they'll face all season, by a country mile.

M-O-R-A-N alert

USC will have MUCH tougher games in Pac 10 play than yer Bucks provdided, sorry -

happens every year - USC DUMMIES non conference foes and had some drag out wars in conference

Penn State is the best team in yer league anyway