[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Well Give the Hoops some love too!

Huzz

Hate the NBA, love college hoops.

Does anyone see this as an underhanded attempt by the NBA to steal some of the NCAA's popularity? :confused:

The high school kid from Georgia who was the first pick in the draft, said it was racism at work when people are upset that the NBA is drafting high schoolers. He said you dont see the same level of outrage when dealing with golf or tennis so it is racist white people complaining. Any thoughts?

No I am not surprised that he is "playing the race card". So many black people like to call anybody that critizes them racist, regardless of the validity of the criticism. It is easier that way ... they redirect attention away from the criticism and onto racial issues, that way they don't have to think about the criticism.

Personally I don't care what color the athlete ... I think it is sad that the NBA is starting to draft at the high school level.

Guest jjoseph7

Also don't forget that in baseball and hockey the player's go to miner league's and don't get pushed directley in the spotlight. I think the N.B.A. is having huge proplems right now. They went and changed the rules like three times in the past three years.That shows they are trying to make a product that sucks be better by putting it in a shiner or bigger box.Not cool.

Last year I did not watch one game in full.First time in my life that happened.The worst part is that I'm from Portland so I get it up the a-ss twice as hard. Blazers suck,N.B.A. sucks, so I say it all sucks.

GO ROCKETS!@!!!!!!! :D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes:B):D

Let's face facts. Not everybody is cut out for college. By not forcing these guys into college and drafting them right out of high school, the NBA is helping the NCAA and colleges in a round about way. The colleges can begin concentrating on what the students are supposed to be there for, getting an education.

Still, I think a "farm system" similar to the one used by MLB would be the most productive measure that the NBA can take. While some of the superstars would not go to college, many would. Also, if a kid in HS knew that he would be playing on a farm team for 3-4 years for minimal money I think there would be more alure to going to and staying in college.

Guest Mark Cooper

If the NFL let players come out early, I dare say that none of you guys would have a problem with this issue.

How can you tell anyone — no matter how old they are — to wait a few years before winning the lottery and cashing in on millions?

Personally, I hope they do limit early entrants to the NBA draft for the good of the game. They deserve millions, but they have to earn it first.

Originally posted by Dropkick Me Jesus:

If the NFL let players come out early, I dare say that none of you guys would have a problem with this issue.

How can you tell anyone — no matter how old they are — to wait a few years before winning the lottery and cashing in on millions?

Personally, I hope they do limit early entrants to the NBA draft for the good of the game. They deserve millions, but they have to earn it first.

Yes I would also have a problem with the NFL drafting players right out of high school.

I think high school players are not mature enough to move into the professional leagues ... not to mention I think that time in college is time well spent - it gives children time to grow and mature.

Blitz, like I said before, not everyone is cut out for college. Why should some kid off the street be forced to go to college just to go to the NBA? Why should organizations like the Black Coaches Association fight for legislation to lower the entry level SAT score to 700 for student athletes? (to be honest with you, I think a cat could score 700 on the SAT, but that is a different story)

By forcing these kids into college we are just corrupting the athletic programs into becomming training grounds for the NBA or NFL rather than providing an opportunity for an education.

• 2 weeks later...

I was always under the impression that the NBA was letting high schoolers apply for the draft in order to avoid the legal action that might otherwise ensue. Is that not the case?

And I think spain makes an interesting point in his post - or at least quotes someone else making an interesting point. Why do people make an issue of this with basketball but not with golf or tennis, or minor league baseball for that matter. While I agree with Blitz that those who play the race card too readily can easily lose their credibility, that's not really responsive to the point here. Whether it's racism or something else, it does semm like a double standard at work.

The idea of forcing an adult to go to college before they can participate in a sports league is ludicrous to me.

If the league wants to set up a farm system, let them do it, but don't penalize players because the farm system in existence(college) requires academics.

Should you require a potential lawyer to accomplish the equivalent of SAT's - physically (pull ups, wind sprints, mile run, etc.) in order to get to college?

Blitz not all blacks "claim the race card" when defending a decision they make. However I do agree that it usually the most handy and easiest card to play that it's way past getting tired.

Still there are a lot of sports where pre-college athletes are being courted. Baseball has been doing it for years, when high school players are getting million bonuses it's the same thing.

Actually it's kind of sad in all those Olympic sports like gymastics, figure skating, swimming where girls are pushed to compete at an early age because once they develop hips and breasts thats it on to next girl.........