[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ryan Torain

chodan

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he turns out to be a bust BroncoBilly might want to law low... lots of people listening to him.

(jk of course)

Lay low? :D That'll happen. I take my medicine when I'm wrong. :wacko:

I'm not sure how having Torain as the low man on a team's RB totem pole harms any FF team to a great extent - it's a classic low risk/high potential reward play. DEN's O-line is doing a very commendable job right now and ought to improve with every game as their young guys get more experience. DEN has finished out of the top 10 in rushing offense one time in Shanahan's 14+ years as a HC in DEN, and is currently sitting at #12. They need a RB to step up and none has so far, and have a prolific passing O that forces DBs to get out of the box and makes LBs take wider postures.

Mr. Torain: "The hall is rented, the orchestra engaged. It's time to see if you can dance."

Edited by Bronco Billy

Beat writer Mike Klis expects the Broncos to make their running game a bigger priority when Ryan Torain returns from his dislocated elbow.

Torain is due back after a Week 8 bye. There's no way to forecast what his role will be, but Torain is seemingly expected to play a significant part. The odd man out of the rotation could be current "No. 2 back" Andre Hall.

Just saying

I picked him up off waivers last night as well. Thanks huddlers. Bronco Billy seems high on this guy and there is nothing like info from a homer who follows the team day in and day out.

shouldn't you wait until he does something b/f you're thanking anyone?

OK. Let's say the rap on Young not being an "inside runner" is true. He is still averaging 6 yards a carry. The problem is that he'll get the rock only 10-12 times per game. Can we just see one game (and I was thinking it was going to be KC last week) where he totes it 20 times? Would 120 yards on the "outside" still not be 120 yards gained? Would that not more than adequately complement a terrific passing attack that they have? I can understand a Pittman as a goal-line back. But why does Hall have to get 8-10 touches too? All I'm saying is that I would like to see Young get a real chance prior to Torain's return. Then Denver will know if they need to make the switch to him being the primary RB.

OK. Let's say the rap on Young not being an "inside runner" is true. He is still averaging 6 yards a carry. The problem is that he'll get the rock only 10-12 times per game. Can we just see one game (and I was thinking it was going to be KC last week) where he totes it 20 times? Would 120 yards on the "outside" still not be 120 yards gained? Would that not more than adequately complement a terrific passing attack that they have? I can understand a Pittman as a goal-line back. But why does Hall have to get 8-10 touches too? All I'm saying is that I would like to see Young get a real chance prior to Torain's return. Then Denver will know if they need to make the switch to him being the primary RB.

Since young has been playing...he hit the 20 carry mark 1-2 times. Im sure shanny has seen enough

People lose b/c they thank folks for a tip?

I will have to remember this little life lesson.

It's pretty obvious that he meant that some FF owners lose because they have to have a player prove something to them before they will make a play on that player - and by that time owners willing to take a reasonable risk will have snapped up that player on the WW.

It seems like a reasonable risk.

First off, you're pretty safe from him hitting the "rookie wall" since he's only playing the 2nd half of the season. Mostly, however, fantasy championships are not won on the backs of guys stuck in the mid 30s at their position. These are guys that fantasy teams who are actually contending for the money never start unless they have a bye week. However, by the time dude comes back, these bye week fillers have used up their need because they will be about over.

So, for the stretch run, do you want Fred Taylor or a guy who might end up mired in RBBC but might be the spark plug that Shanny has been selling us? I'll swing for the fences. Again, you need to have the luxury of some solid starters to afford playing a guy short for the next 5 weeks. If your team is so shaky that you're dredging the waivers every week just to put a decent team together, you might not be able to.

None the less, as has been mentioned, this is why we come to the huddle, for insight like this.

It's pretty obvious that he meant that some FF owners lose because they have to have a player prove something to them before they will make a play on that player - and by that time owners willing to take a reasonable risk will have snapped up that player on the WW.

Ahh. I'll read more carefully next time.

Why would anyone want to get involved with the Shanahan carousel at RB??? Isn't it an unwritten rule in FF to stay far, far away from Denver RB's?? I know I have been burned by Shanahan many times in the past, and while I'm a Broncos fan, I will never have any Denver RB's on any of my FF rosters, ever!

Because some of us have played long enough to remember that, when he actually has a capable back, he runs that dude all day long. TD, Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Clinton Portis... Anyone who's ever ridden those names to fantasy money is prepared to tie up a roster spot with the hopes that they get 700 yds and 7 TDs over the last 7 games.

Don't you think Henry would have been given every chance to be that guy as well had he not crapped the bed?

Edited by detlef

My take on this - considering how good the offense has turned out to be - especially Cutler - is that Shanahan probably realizes what a monster he could have if this kid is really good. Add a back with the abilities of a Terrell Davis to Cutler, Marshall, Royal, Schefler, and a good OL, and you're looking at a few years of dominance again. He knows what he has now, and it's great, but add that kind of option to the mix and you've really got something.

well, it's not going to improve :wacko:

No, it's not. The D-line is completely ineffective, especially now that teams are double-teaming Dumerville out of existence. What's Shanahan's solution? Put even less players on the D-line! Now there's some astute out-of-the-box thinking. Maybe they can start going with that 2 man pass rush that let Gannon complete something like 32 of his first 33 passes a few years ago.

No, it's not. The D-line is completely ineffective, especially now that teams are double-teaming Dumerville out of existence. What's Shanahan's solution? Put even less players on the D-line! Now there's some astute out-of-the-box thinking. Maybe they can start going with that 2 man pass rush that let Gannon complete something like 32 of his first 33 passes a few years ago.

Is that what happened to Dumervil? If you can't tell, I'm a big Cardinal fan. Dumervil was one my favorite players and wondered what was going on with him.

What do Denver fans think of Elvis, BB?

Is that what happened to Dumervil? If you can't tell, I'm a big Cardinal fan. Dumervil was one my favorite players and wondered what was going on with him.

What do Denver fans think of Elvis, BB?

The fans love Dumerville. The guy has a motor that doesn't quit. The problem is that because no other Broncos player can generate even a mediocre pass rush, opposing teams can double team him, which with his size effectively negates him. If DEN had even one other player that would draw even moderate attention from opposing teams, Dumerville would be a lot more effective. As of now for the near future, I don't see how he's going to accumulate any meaningful numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

Per Rotoworld today:

Torain to practice Wednesday Tuesday 10/14, 10:14 AM CT

Ryan Torain is expected to return to practice Wednesday, according to the Rocky Mountain News. He has been out since fracturing a bone in his left elbow and suffering ligament damage in training camp.

Our View: The Broncos are hoping to use him November 2 against Miami, which is their first game after the bye. Veteran Michael Pittman is currently working as the Broncos' starter at running back while Selvin Young recovers from a groin injury.

Per Rotoworld today:

Torain to practice Wednesday Tuesday 10/14, 10:14 AM CT

Ryan Torain is expected to return to practice Wednesday, according to the Rocky Mountain News. He has been out since fracturing a bone in his left elbow and suffering ligament damage in training camp.

Our View: The Broncos are hoping to use him November 2 against Miami, which is their first game after the bye. Veteran Michael Pittman is currently working as the Broncos' starter at running back while Selvin Young recovers from a groin injury.

CHOO CHOO! Hop on board the Torain train while you can!