[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

new top chef

MojoMan

I think Hosea's strategy has been that he only doesn't have to be the worst cook of each challenge. Survive and advance. Don't take the big risks that could get you knocked out early and be there at the end. That's when you take risks.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Hosea's strategy has been that he only doesn't have to be the worst cook of each challenge. Survive and advance. Don't take the big risks that could get you knocked out early and be there at the end. That's when you take risks.

yeah, winning challenges doesn't help you win. just gotta win that last one. I really think any of the four could win at this point. jar jar was from a disaster just waiting her turn to get sent home, now it seems like she found her stride and has more confidence than anyone on the show. fabio is a little hit and miss, but when he's in his groove it seems like he's as good as anyone. I liked hosea at the beginning but he's been mediocre of late, maybe he still has something up his sleeve? stefan is probably the best chef, and he looked invincible for a while, winning all those challenges. but he has had some bad moments as well, and his confidence looked just a little bit shaken on this last episode -- he doesn't seem to be the best at dealing with adversity. so yeah, I think they came up with a pretty decent final 4, and I wouldn't be surprised to see any of them win.

I think the season overall has been good. the challenges have all been very interesting and entertaining.

Edited by Azazello1313

It seems like the producers have really stepped their game up this season with the creativeness of the challenges . . . but the chefs seem to be getting worse at rolling with the punches and cooking their food. Fabio finally called out what some of the bloggers have been noting for a while: every challenge, the judges berate the competitors for playing it safe, not being creative, not cooking their best, not looking beyond the letter of the challenge--then turn around and hand out elimination wins to Ariane for cooking meat properly and/or dicing fruit well.

Peace

policy

So much for my Fabio pick. However, like the NFL challenge, the only way you'd see Fabio and Stefan over Hosea at the elimination table is to "Americanize" your challenges. Not surprisingly, they both messed up the NFL city one. They shouldn't have let Europeans on if this were "American Top Chef". :wacko:

New Orleans is so specific to the region. I guess they want Carla to win this? They really are playing up the Stefan is a jerk angle. If Hosea manages to pull this out, it'll be funny.

I thought for sure that Stefan was gone last night but I have to agree, Cajun and Creole is a wonderful cuisine but not something I would expect European chefs to be fluent in.

Am I the only one that thinks of South Park when someone says, "hey chef"?

So much for my Fabio pick. However, like the NFL challenge, the only way you'd see Fabio and Stefan over Hosea at the elimination table is to "Americanize" your challenges. Not surprisingly, they both messed up the NFL city one. They shouldn't have let Europeans on if this were "American Top Chef". :wacko:

New Orleans is so specific to the region. I guess they want Carla to win this? They really are playing up the Stefan is a jerk angle. If Hosea manages to pull this out, it'll be funny.

your point is well taken with the NFL city thing, but why would hosea, a guy who'd never been to new orleans in his life, have an advantage over those two as far as creole cooking? bottom line is hosea obviously worked a lot harder over the break to get comfortable in that vein, and it showed.

your point is well taken with the NFL city thing, but why would hosea, a guy who'd never been to new orleans in his life, have an advantage over those two as far as creole cooking? bottom line is hosea obviously worked a lot harder over the break to get comfortable in that vein, and it showed.

Yup, I agree.

And KC, I think these chefs are advanced enough to where they should be able to cook in just about style. I don't think anyone had any advantage in New Orleans, not even Carla. Yeah, she's from "the south", but southern cooking doesn't always translate into Cajun (and especially Creole). And the Euros? There's enough European (and European territorial) influence in Creole food to where they should have enough background knowledge.

Stefan was starting to act like an azzclown, and whether we saw that based on calculated editing, or by him really just being that way... I don't know. But I think he got lucky; he should have been the one to go home. Sure looks like he and Hosea get into it good next week. I can definitely see them in the finals and playing this whole rivalry thing up.

Jar Jar Binks FOR THE WIN!!!!!

I'm starting to think that the pi$$ing match between the bald-headed rivals is allowing her creativity and craft to supersede their balls.

Funny moment from the final "four" episode: when they're eating at Delmonico's and Hosea is talking about how he hates Stefan, and there is a shot of them at the table next to each other wearing black blazers with white shirts and bald, the only thing differentiating them being the goatee....I laughed.

disappointing season imo. shame when strong people get booted too early. i think they need to revise their elimantion process (likely won't make for good ratings though).

I think we need to find out how to get you on there next season. :wacko:

disappointing season imo. shame when strong people get booted too early. i think they need to revise their elimantion process (likely won't make for good ratings though).

"Winning and elimination decisions were made by the judges in consultation with producers. Some elimination decisions were discussed with Bravo."

They need to stop letting the producers in on the elimination process.

he's the only one that brought his A-game to new orleans. he peaked at the right time, sorta like the AZ cardinals this year, or the giants last year.

I gotta agree. Carla was doing very well until she fraked up her dessert. Probably cost her the top spot.

Oh, and am I the only one that though the British food critic on the judges panel just hates everything about life? :wacko:

Had to be the worst season of Top Chef from a talent and creativity perspective. I enjoyed it, I watched it every week, but I thinking back over the season, there is not one dish that is so memorable I want to go get a new top chef cookbook so I can try it at home. In past years I was absolutely trying to recreate some of the more interesting and successful dishes.

Hosea won by playing safe...that's sort of a shame.

I think all of these reality shows should revamp the finals process so that 35% of score is based on performance over the entire season and 65% is based on the final challenge.

WashD

well....he got to the final 4 (and a half) by playing it safe. he won by making better food than everyone else who also made it that far.

I wouldn't have ordered that final meal he prepared over either of the other two.

Hosea's whole obsession with Stefan got really annoying by the end. He's definitely more of a tool than Stefan was.

Stefan dominated the entire season and is easily the better chef. Hosea played it safe and shouldn't have won just because Stefan froze his fish.

I don't know if it came into the decision, but it's pretty obvious Colicchio just doesn't like Stefan.