[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Phillies

TDFFFreak

we were VERY lucky that the bad call by the ump didnt cost us....game should have been over after the top of the 9th at 4-3...I am also surprised that longoria fielded that hit because it looked like 1) He didn't have much of a chance at all to get Bruntlett 2) Looked like it was going to roll foul.

but hey 2-1 :wacko:

edit: the thing that does suck is that that blown call by the ump at 1st cost Moyer a WS win, which he so deserved.

Edited by keggerz

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we were VERY lucky that the bad call by the ump didnt cost us....game should have been over after the top of the 9th at 4-3...I am also surprised that longoria fielded that hit because it looked like 1) He didn't have much of a chance at all to get Bruntlett 2) Looked like it was going to roll foul.

but hey 2-1 :wacko:

edit: the thing that does suck is that that blown call by the ump at 1st cost Moyer a WS win, which he so deserved.

About the two bolded statements above. The game would have been at 4-2, not 4-3 because the runner which scored run number 3 for the Rays would have been the 3rd out of the inning so there would have been no sacrifice. Semantics, I know, but just highlights how much that blown call by the ump really could have cost us. Good thing it didn't...

As for the ball rolling foul, exactly what I was thinking after I saw the replay, but I don't think Longoria could take the chance that it stays fair and he looks like he made the dumbest play in the world to allow the run to score while sitting there watching the ball roll on the ground. I think he has to make the effort to make the play at home, no matter how tough it was.

Go Phillies! It was a big win for the team, but this series is far from over. If we win game 3 tomorrow night, I like our chances to take the series. I'm starting to get excited...

Edited by TDFFFreak

True. However, if not for the ridiculous and wildly inconsistent strike zone, Moyer would have been forced to actually throw balls over the plate and in all likelyhood would not have lasted very long. He absolutely had the right guy behind the plate last night.

True. However, if not for the ridiculous and wildly inconsistent strike zone, Moyer would have been forced to actually throw balls over the plate and in all likelyhood would not have lasted very long. He absolutely had the right guy behind the plate last night.

:wacko:

The same strike zone was in place for Garza, who was wild anyway. Had the ump not expanded thr strike zone, Garza may have been out of the game by the 5th inning.

The same strike zone was in place for Garza, who was wild anyway. Had the ump not expanded thr strike zone, Garza may have been out of the game by the 5th inning.

True. Early on, the announcers reported that the managers already knew there would be a wide strike zone as scouting reports these days extend to umpires too. I don't think home plate umpire was inconsistent at all - he gave both pitchers the same zone.

True. Early on, the announcers reported that the managers already knew there would be a wide strike zone as scouting reports these days extend to umpires too. I don't think home plate umpire was inconsistent at all - he gave both pitchers the same zone.

WELL SAID! and from who I believe to be an unbiased observer too

I actually thought Longoria had the time to make a good throw home and get the forceout.

Based on the eye roll and and Garza retort you obviously made the mistake of assuming I'm blaming the game on the umpire. Far from it. Never did say the strike zone was different for each pitcher. I just know that a guy throwing the ball 75 miles per hour gets rocked if he's forced to actually throw strikes. His stuff was far from remarkable and early on he was given pitches that were clearly not strikes and given the junk that he throws eventually batters are forced to chase pitches out of the zone.

If this is indeed true then the Rays were just plain unprepared because throughout Moyer's stint in the game Rays batters were clearly bothered by what was being called as strikes.

And separate from it's effect on the game, I was beside myself repeatedly watching that behind the ump view of a ball that was five-six inches off the plate being called a strike.

Just so we're all clear here, I really thought last night was very entertaining baseball. Hell, the whole series has been so far.

The Rays made a mistake in not going for the double play in the first inning so it's on them and not just the umpires, but the Phillies got a call on that tag out of Rollins. We're even now.

I thought this was the best umpiring crew in baseball? I mean as a Phillies fan I'll take the call but come on man. That wasn't even close.

Yeah, it makes up for the call last night but I hate when the officials change games like that.

1st & 3rd, no one out....time to get it goin'!! A couple runs here would look nice.

OMFG....it took a Pedro Feliz 2-out single to get the run home....pop-ups from Burrell & Victorino...i mean really, is it that tough to ground out?

The Feliz single, and definitely the Ruiz single, would have scored Howard, had he been sacrificed along to 2nd earlier in the inning.

A timely hit, or even a sacrifice, and this game would be 4-0 or more....story of the series, I guess. Fortunately, the Phils pitching has been as good as the bats have been bad.