[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Texas as #1

BS Miscreant

Interesting take from ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach. Can't say that I disagree entirely, or much at all for that matter.

"As far as auditions went, the Longhorns were more impressive ranked No. 1 than any other team that has been ranked in that spot this season. A week after beating Oklahoma in a game nobody thought it would win, Texas routed Missouri even more convincingly.

"I think it's hard to play hard every week, and this team has done that," Texas coach Mack Brown said. "I don't think the last two [Texas teams] did."

Yet we still don't know whether the Longhorns are the best team in college football.

And we still might not know two weeks from now, after Texas has hosted No. 8 Oklahoma State and played at No. 7 Texas Tech.

Even during what is being called the most difficult stretch in Texas football history -- the Longhorns have never played four ranked opponents in a row -- it won't face a team as menacing as it would face in the Jan. 8 BCS Championship Game in South Florida.

For whatever reason, Big 12 teams don't play defense anymore.

The league that was once known for its physical play and running games as much as anything else has been transformed into some sort of collegiate arena league.

All of the sudden, the Big 12 looks like what the WAC used to be."

" Think it would be that easy against Southern California? Or Alabama? Florida? Georgia? How about defending national champion LSU?

Probably not.

Just don't tell that to Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp, whose SEC pedigree has helped transform the Longhorns into the best defensive unit in the Big 12."

Best D in the Big 12 but...

"The Longhorns allowed five touchdown passes to Oklahoma's Sam Bradford last week but were better against Missouri's Chase Daniel. He (only) completed 31 of 41 passes for 318 yards with two touchdowns."

There's obviously more and I found it entertaining at the very least.

LINK

The Aggie game is looming on the horizon. This might meet up with a 2-win team meeting the #1 team in the country. With Cart and Brown's recent struggles with the Aggies you know they will be sweating bullets while Aggies will be on a wild roar with this as the one chance to do something worthwhile with their season. This will also be Jorvorskie's last game as an Aggie. I will not envy Mack Brown on that day.

The Aggie game is looming on the horizon. This might meet up with a 2-win team meeting the #1 team in the country. With Cart and Brown's recent struggles with the Aggies you know they will be sweating bullets while Aggies will be on a wild roar with this as the one chance to do something worthwhile with their season. This will also be Jorvorskie's last game as an Aggie. I will not envy Mack Brown on that day.

uh huh - right. A&M is one of the worst BCS teams in the nation Texas will have that one in hand by halftime

the Schlabach article is interesting - there is no doubt the Big 12 is stronger this year than i can ever remember - and I think UT and OKL have legit claims and will be in the mix when all is said and done - but as for the rest of the conference -o-v-e-r-r-a-t-e-d. He is exactly right- it is a reincarnation of the old WAC days with the spread offenses and horrible defense. The Big 12 has become as soft as Mark Mangino

I mean, who exactly have OK State, Tech, Mizzou, Kansas beaten??? the answer is no one b/c their NC sched were a joke. Mizzou is an absolute fraud- and the rest don't seem any good either

uh huh - right. A&M is one of the worst BCS teams in the nation Texas will have that one in hand by halftime

They were worse the last two years last they are now and still thumped the homos. When it is a hate game you can throw out both talent AND records.

Texas was worse too. Texas scores 50+. Aggies were a bowl team last year, I hardly think they were worse.

I am assuming you haven't watched a game in the last 2 years. Last year they had a ton of lucky breaks. This year the breaks have all gone the other way. Don't get me wrong I don't think they are twice as good as last year but they are better at every position other than TE and one DT slot. The new qb looks like he will be above average which is a significant step up.

You notice to homo fans are posting here. Texas could easily win by 50 but that usually doesn't happen in this game. I am looking forward to it. It shoul dbe a bloodbath.

Its still considered an upset here In Dallas, that Texas won the Texas/OU game. I am obviously biased, but I dont think TEXAS, OUR TEXAS, OH HAIL THE MIGHTY STATE, TEXAS OUR TEXAS, SO WONDERFUL AND GREAT... was the best team in Dallas 2 weeks ago. But they sure got it done late in the 4th, so I give them all the credit in the world.

I cant believe Im about to say this, but Im rooting for Ohio St this Saturday night to knock off Penn St. Bama isnt going undefeated, that is for sure. So OU can get to #2 by virtue of those 2 teams losing. But what I hope doesnt happen is a team like FLA or SC jumping them in the final poll, because they won their conference, while we lost to the #1 team in the country and couldnt win ours.

The Texas/OU is so big, that the winner can win out, and the loser has no shot what so ever at a conference championship. Hell even if Texas loses one of their remaining games, OU wont jump them in the Big 12 south, so Texas would have to lose twice for OU to get to that game. Where FLA can lose a stinker to Miss, or SC to Oregon St, and still win out and win that conference.

Edited by Sgt Ryan

Its still considered an upset here In Dallas, that Texas won the Texas/OU game. I am obviously biased, but I dont think TEXAS, OUR TEXAS, OH HAIL THE MIGHTY STATE, TEXAS OUR TEXAS, SO WONDERFUL AND GREAT... was the best team in Dallas 2 weeks ago. But they sure got it done late in the 4th, so I give them all the credit in the world.

I cant believe Im about to say this, but Im rooting for Ohio St this Saturday night to knock off Penn St. Bama isnt going undefeated, that is for sure. So OU can get to #2 by virtue of those 2 teams losing. But what I hope doesnt happen is a team like FLA or SC jumping them in the final poll, because they won their conference, while we lost to the #1 team in the country and couldnt win ours.

The Texas/OU is so big, that the winner can win out, and the loser has no shot what so ever at a conference championship. Hell even if Texas loses one of their remaining games, OU wont jump them in the Big 12 south, so Texas would have to lose twice for OU to get to that game. Where FLA can lose a stinker to Miss, or SC to Oregon St, and still win out and win that conference.

Has your favorite team EVER lost a game where they weren't the better team ? :wacko:

no one has an answer for Kindle and Orakpo. Without those two tu is itt with less offense.

Someone else here said it earlier, the Big 12 is starting to look a lot like the old WAC. A ton of offense and an Ole' defense.

Someone else here said it earlier, the Big 12 is starting to look a lot like the old WAC. A ton of offense and an Ole' defense.

That is a good analysis of the Aggies with the exception of having a good offense. I really don't think they will beat Baylor.

The Big 12 LOOKS strong on paper but with the weak non-conference do we really know how good the conference is, I mean seriously?

or are we looking at OSU/Mich part deux from 2006? just sayin -

here are a couple interesting takes on it.

Non Conference Sched

and the Pac 10 needs to re-think it's non conference scheduling and get in line with the SEC, Big 12 and Big 10

Another

only one problem, if the pac 10 is scheduling tough teams and getting credit for playing tough teams, wouldn't u expect those teams they played to get credit for playing the tough pac 10? I mean yes it's admirable that Washington played some high quality teams, but at the same time, they were playing Washington and getting zero credit. Bottom line is strength of schedule is the most overrated stat in college football, because all it is, is they take your opponents winning percentage and rank the teams. Ask yourself, what is more impressive? TCU's win over 6-1 BYU, or Ole Miss's win over 5-1 Florida. As far as "strength of schedule" is concerned, it's even. In fact at this juncture, the win over a 6 win team is better than a win over the 5 win team. Now because Fla and BYU don't play, we'll never know who is better, however I think an overwhelmingly number of people would agree, that Florida is by far a superior football team. And I don't care what anyone says, a so-so win is ALWAYS better than a "Quality Loss." Maybe not when it comes to the BCS, but to me thumping your chest about a bunch of "Quality Losses" is like thumping your chest that you ran head first into a brick wall 4 times in a row. I mean yeah, I tip my hat to Washington for deciding YEARS ago to make this schedule, but it doesn't make them any more superior to a team that whooped on 4 nobodies (or perceived nobodies.) And again, we don't KNOW Washington would be 4-0 with Texas Techs schedule. Washington is a pretty bad football team.

The Big 12 LOOKS strong on paper but with the weak non-conference do we really know how good the conference is, I mean seriously?

or are we looking at OSU/Mich part deux from 2006? just sayin -

here are a couple interesting takes on it.

Non Conference Sched

and the Pac 10 needs to re-think it's non conference scheduling and get in line with the SEC, Big 12 and Big 10

Another

I agree. We just don't know if any of them are really that good. I heard early in the season from some Big 12 homers on how great the defense was in that conference, but week in and week out they have been exposed. The comparison you made between Mich and OSU was really spot on, imo. Texas and OU could be legit or they could get waxed by USC- Penn St or Bama, Florida too. There is no doubt that any of the current top 10 teams all play MUCH better defense then what we've seen in the Big 12.

• 1 month later...

Had to dig this back up given the recent and constant regurgitation of rancid excrement that is being tossed about regarding anyone not called the Sooners.

Let's look at exactly what teams the mighty 4 of the Big XII have beaten:

OU - TCU (good team), CIN (Big East champ for what that's worth), Big XII teams

Texas - Big XII teams

TTech - Big XII teams

Mizzou - Big XII teams

Sgt. Ryan has already established for us that Texas is not as good as OU so for the sake of argument we'll say OU is the best team in the conference and that Texas' win over them was a fluke created by late game injuries and mistakes.

Given this information, other than establishing that OU is a quality team(having beaten TCU and CIN), we have no real way of knowing whether anyone else in the conference is worth a crap. In fact, if these teams, collectively, had started the season ranked lower then they might not even be in the discussion at this point. So, suggesting that Florida is overrated and has beaten noone is just plain silly.