[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tales from deer camp

Jimmy Neutron

Groceries $271

Groceries brought home after 3 teenage boys and 4 days - about $7 :wacko: I feel lucky to have not been eaten myself. Wow.

Gas for truck and ATVs - $210

Ammo and targets for the boys - $250

Jimmy being stalked by a coyote while on the toilet - priceless. :D

It's true. I was attending to business on a nice commode we constructed in a grove of cedars when I noticed a coyote come around a tree about 200 yards away. He could tell I was out of place, but could not tell what I was. He crouched down and belly crawled through the brush to 45 yards and stood up slowly and stared at me. I was downwind from him and dead still, so he couldn't ID me, but then he heard the boys back at camp and moseyed on out of there. Sadly, I'd taken my .45 off my belt for my trip to drop a bomb. The story would have been even better if I could have shot him while sitting on the john. :D

Bambi was pretty safe with our group. We were trying to get the boys their first deer, but they weren't fast enough to shoot the many deer we saw. They didn't care we went home empty-handed - they had a blast just seeing deer and doing a bunch of target shooting.

One proud papa note - my 11-year old was a little afraid of his shotgun recoil last year, so I only brought 2 boxes of shells for him. This year he loved it and was smacking clay pigeons pretty well with it. :D He got mad because he ran out of ammo so fast. :D

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Groceries $271

Groceries brought home after 3 teenage boys and 4 days - about $7 :wacko: I feel lucky to have not been eaten myself. Wow.

Gas for truck and ATVs - $210

Ammo and targets for the boys - $250

Jimmy being stalked by a coyote while on the toilet - priceless. :D

It's true. I was attending to business on a nice commode we constructed in a grove of cedars when I noticed a coyote come around a tree about 200 yards away. He could tell I was out of place, but could not tell what I was. He crouched down and belly crawled through the brush to 45 yards and stood up slowly and stared at me. I was downwind from him and dead still, so he couldn't ID me, but then he heard the boys back at camp and moseyed on out of there. Sadly, I'd taken my .45 off my belt for my trip to drop a bomb. The story would have been even better if I could have shot him while sitting on the john. :D

Bambi was pretty safe with our group. We were trying to get the boys their first deer, but they weren't fast enough to shoot the many deer we saw. They didn't care we went home empty-handed - they had a blast just seeing deer and doing a bunch of target shooting.

One proud papa note - my 11-year old was a little afraid of his shotgun recoil last year, so I only brought 2 boxes of shells for him. This year he loved it and was smacking clay pigeons pretty well with it. :D He got mad because he ran out of ammo so fast. :D

Didn't happen to run into Sarah did you?

Two weeks until i take my 8 year old on the youth hunt, and neither of us can wait! He hit the center of a paint can at 60 yards with a 30-30 scoped rifle and with a open sights .625 Jap sniper rifle. He is going to do great!

Edited by Hat Trick

I'm bummed I don't get to go out to my wife's family camp in Louisiana this Thanksgiving holiday. She doesn't have enough time off of work, so my parents are coming out from California (which is a good thing, of course).

Last year, the guys in the family (wife's cousins, uncles, etc.) headed out (with leftovers in tow) to a camp about 2 hours north of Baton Rouge, close to the Misssissipah border. Since I'm an out-of-stater, my weekend consisted of drinking beer, watching football and hanging out at the camp. Did get to help pull a couple of bucks out of the woods (and cross a bayou on a little rowboat) and chase down some wild hogs. Such an awesome time. Will have to wait until '09. :wacko:

I can just imagine how much fun the kids (and adults too, for that matter) had on this trip! Some of my fondest memories growing up were the good times I had on fishing and hunting trips in Canada with my dad, uncle ,and cousins. Coyotes weren't the campsite problem we had.....it was BEARS ransacking our stuff while we were away each day. It happened more than once. :wacko:

Coyotes weren't the campsite problem we had.....it was BEARS ransacking our stuff while we were away each day. It happened more than once. :D

I may have been a little less amused if a bear was coming toward me with my arse hanging out. :wacko:

I love taking the kids hunting. All of the blinds we build and buy are two person blinds so we can take the kids out with us. My girls love it. We get to spend time together, and I get teach them about nature.

does nature include hunting down a defenseless animal which may separate him or her from her young offspring :wacko:

sorry i had to do that

does nature include hunting down a defenseless animal which may separate him or her from her young offspring :wacko:

sorry i had to do that

Go find that video where the buck kicks some hunters azz while his friend videos it. It is hilarioous.