[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tales from deer camp

Jimmy Neutron

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does nature include hunting down a defenseless animal which may separate him or her from her young offspring :wacko:

sorry i had to do that

Deer cause more deaths in the U.S. than do all other wild animals combined. Hunting them down makes America safer. It is also humane, becuase of they are over populated and thus many of them would starve if it wasn't for hunters. Add to that the deer is a lot more dangerous than the cow you have someone else kill for you, and me and my daughters are fine with taht. :D

Groceries $271

Groceries brought home after 3 teenage boys and 4 days - about $7 :wacko: I feel lucky to have not been eaten myself. Wow.

Bambi was pretty safe with our group. We were trying to get the boys their first deer, but they weren't fast enough to shoot the many deer we saw. They didn't care we went home empty-handed - they had a blast just seeing deer and doing a bunch of target shooting.

One proud papa note - my 11-year old was a little afraid of his shotgun recoil last year, so I only brought 2 boxes of shells for him. This year he loved it and was smacking clay pigeons pretty well with it. :slap: He got mad because he ran out of ammo so fast. :pokey:

Two weeks until i take my 8 year old on the youth hunt, and neither of us can wait! He hit the center of a paint can at 60 yards with a 30-30 scoped rifle and with a open sights .625 Jap sniper rifle. He is going to do great!

I love taking the kids hunting. All of the blinds we build and buy are two person blinds so we can take the kids out with us. My girls love it. We get to spend time together, and I get teach them about nature.

Good on you fellas for introducing kids to hunting :D

I feel those people who are taught by their folks from an early age how to hunt safely and appreciate the outdoors make better, safer hunters who will enjoy it for life. I am thankful my dad and his buddies took the time to take me out and teach me about being a hunter. I havent missed a season since that first time and I look forward to it every year.

:D Nov. 8th :D

:D:D:D

Yup. Been seeing more deer out and about lately and I am getting pumped for the opener! :smash:

Good on you fellas for introducing kids to hunting :wacko:

I feel those people who are taught by their folks from an early age how to hunt safely and appreciate the outdoors make better, safer hunters who will enjoy it for life. I am thankful my dad and his buddies took the time to take me out and teach me about being a hunter. I havent missed a season since that first time and I look forward to it every year.

No question. One of my favorite parts of taking the kids is telling stories from when I was their age going with my dad, grandpa and uncles. Those remain some of the sweetest memories of my life. I only hope our kids learn to love the outdoors as much as I did and it all helps foster our relationships.

Living in Raleigh, we have a three pronged problem. Major urban sprawl has encroached the deer habitat, and at the same time increased grazing (landscaping), and road kill with increased traffic. I have a long rural commute to work each day and it breaks my heart to see so many smushed deer along the roadway. This week alone, I've seen no less than 12, several being nice bucks with the rut starting.

I used to be a big time hunter and have spent more than my share of time in the camps, which I loved more than anything as a youth. I don't hunt anymore (don't have the heart to kill the little buggers any more), but I sure wish that all the roadkill I see each day could be butchered and eaten as Jimmy and others do. I have several co-workers that hunt and keep me in the venison, so all is good. But we have way too many deer around here due to our urban sprawl and I support safe hunting big time. I will always have great memories of the hunting camps I frequented in upstate NY, it was great fun.

No question. One of my favorite parts of taking the kids is telling stories from when I was their age going with my dad, grandpa and uncles. Those remain some of the sweetest memories of my life. I only hope our kids learn to love the outdoors as much as I did and it all helps foster our relationships.

Awesome. I actually got to take my 8 y/o last year with my grandfather squirell hunting. We take one of his Norwegians (they're trained to tree squirrels) and a .22 and his model 12 16 guage. If the squirell has the good manners to stand still a .22 in the head and we've got breakfast. If it decides to run you can be deadly with a model 12 with no disconnector. Hold the trigger down and it fires as soon as the breach closes. Good times, and she loved skinning it and still has the tail from that fox squirell.

Deer cause more deaths in the U.S. than do all other wild animals combined. Hunting them down makes America safer. It is also humane, becuase of they are over populated and thus many of them would starve if it wasn't for hunters. Add to that the deer is a lot more dangerous than the cow you have someone else kill for you, and me and my daughters are fine with taht. :wacko:

I just had deer jerky for the first time and it was awesome

but for the record i do kill my own cows ...i normally sneak upon behind them at night and give them the sleeper hold till its lights out

Awesome. I actually got to take my 8 y/o last year with my grandfather squirell hunting. We take one of his Norwegians (they're trained to tree squirrels) and a .22 and his model 12 16 guage. If the squirell has the good manners to stand still a .22 in the head and we've got breakfast. If it decides to run you can be deadly with a model 12 with no disconnector. Hold the trigger down and it fires as soon as the breach closes. Good times, and she loved skinning it and still has the tail from that fox squirell.

That's awesome. I regret that my kids never got the chance to fish or hunt with their great-grandpas.

I also regret that my dad sold his Model 12 to buy me my first .22. :D

I do have grandpa's Stevens pump gun. 32" barrel, full choke. No wonder he was known for hitting birds in the head. :wacko: I stoked it with bismuth a few years ago and took a limit of mallards and a goose - I like to think he was looking down on me that day and we got to hunt birds together after all. :D

Good on you fellas for introducing kids to hunting :wacko:

Yup. Been seeing more deer out and about lately and I am getting pumped for the opener! :D

We will have three kids at their first camp this year, one his second year (12-14 yrs old) - My daughters first :D Three generations of one family and a bunch of buddies in the north woods (Itasca area) for the last 14 years. Hard core camp with canvas tents and stoves. Always a good time, but will have to watch our behavior around the young guns as the as the Bourbon and Jagermeister flow after sundown. At least they have not heard the same stories we tell every year :D

We will have three kids at their first camp this year, one his second year (12-14 yrs old) - My daughters first :wacko: Three generations of one family and a bunch of buddies in the north woods (Itasca area) for the last 14 years. Hard core camp with canvas tents and stoves. Always a good time, but will have to watch our behavior around the young guns as the as the Bourbon and Jagermeister flow after sundown. At least they have not heard the same stories we tell every year :D

Sounds like fun. Hopefully, the youngsters will have good luck. I remember that first morning in the stand when I saw my first deer. My heart darn near jumped out of my jacket! Very exciting and I remember it like it was yesterday. That was up near Orr. I still hunt up that way and now I spend some time up near Two Harbors as well. Love loading up the truck and heading north!

Good luck to you and we'll have to bump this in a couple weeks to see how folks do.

Sounds like fun. Hopefully, the youngsters will have good luck. I remember that first morning in the stand when I saw my first deer. My heart darn near jumped out of my jacket! Very exciting and I remember it like it was yesterday. That was up near Orr. I still hunt up that way and now I spend some time up near Two Harbors as well. Love loading up the truck and heading north!

Good luck to you and we'll have to bump this in a couple weeks to see how folks do.

I have been hunting just north of the VDL (Vermillion Dam Lodge) on Lake Vermillion for the last 15 or so years. I started out as a rugged hunting shack with no running water, outhouse and generator for electricity. In the last few years, they have updated it to a 2 bedroom 1 bath cabin. The good old days when you would get back from hunting and fire up the generator. The beer and cards would commence and old deer stories would be told. Lights out would happen when the generator would run out of gas. Ohh the good old times. Now it is a little more laid back with all the kids up there and the comforts of home. Dad doesn't hunt as much because of knee problems, but he goes out a little, but mainly he is the camp cook. I can't wait...two weeks to go.

Edited by Outshined

Went out to the ranch today, put out a couple of salt licks, poured some molasses on them, topped of the feeders, and did a better job of securing a tree stand. I may go sit out there in the stand on Saturday afternoon with one of my girls just to see if anything comes by.

Went out to the ranch today, put out a couple of salt licks, poured some molasses on them, topped of the feeders, and did a better job of securing a tree stand. I may go sit out there in the stand on Saturday afternoon with one of my girls just to see if anything comes by.

Why don't ya bring a bow ? Must be season now.

The deer are not so skidish before the gunners get in the woods.

Just another note to express how bummed I am that I don't get to go out with my wife's family this Thanksgiving. :wacko: That's a few days of beer drinkin', camouflage-weairing, poker playing fun. Good luck to all the hunters in seeking out their bounties.

Oh, and I think I saw a jerky thread in here a few days ago. Nothing like fresh deer jerky. The wife makes some jerky with cheap ground beef, too... that's good. We have a dehydrator. :D

No doubt. My grandfather and great uncle taught me to hunt deer. My other grandfather taught me to hunt quail. My father taught me to hunt dove and turkey. I still remember shooting my first deer witha .357 carbine literally sitting on my grandfather's knee. I never will forget that first deer camp and the stack of Playboy's. I remember drinking cheap beer with my grandfather half the night while we were playing dominoes, 42, Moon, and Spades with some of the other guys at the camp. I learned to drive at the deer lease. I drank my first beer and smoked my first cigar at a deer camp. I never will forget being a 15 year old kid taking the jeep specifically where my grandfather told me not to take it and getting it stuck one summer when we were doing some maintenance on the camp.. Having to walk about 5 miles in 100 degee heat back to the camp to get my grandfather and the other jeep to pull me out. My grandfather is 90 now. He is getting a little bit forgetfull now and then, but any time hunting is brought up, he can remember the story of me getting that jeep stuck out on the lease.

My little girls haven't killed a deer yet. The youngest is still a bit young, and the oldest just isn't as accurate as I'd like, so she has to put in some more range time. Still, one of them will be in the stand with my father, and one of them will be in the stand with me when we go out to our West Texas lease.

No doubt. My grandfather and great uncle taught me to hunt deer. My other grandfather taught me to hunt quail. My father taught me to hunt dove and turkey. I still remember shooting my first deer witha .357 carbine literally sitting on my grandfather's knee. I never will forget that first deer camp and the stack of Playboy's. I remember drinking cheap beer with my grandfather half the night while we were playing dominoes, 42, Moon, and Spades with some of the other guys at the camp. I learned to drive at the deer lease. I drank my first beer and smoked my first cigar at a deer camp. I never will forget being a 15 year old kid taking the jeep specifically where my grandfather told me not to take it and getting it stuck one summer when we were doing some maintenance on the camp.. Having to walk about 5 miles in 100 degee heat back to the camp to get my grandfather and the other jeep to pull me out. My grandfather is 90 now. He is getting a little bit forgetfull now and then, but any time hunting is brought up, he can remember the story of me getting that jeep stuck out on the lease.

My little girls haven't killed a deer yet. The youngest is still a bit young, and the oldest just isn't as accurate as I'd like, so she has to put in some more range time. Still, one of them will be in the stand with my father, and one of them will be in the stand with me when we go out to our West Texas lease.

Great stories, Perch. I have a number of deer camp jeep stories too - not to mention the '56 Ford farm truck I put hundreds of miles on in compound. :D

One year, we had to throw the switch on the transformer that fed power to the cabin. We couldn't use the normal long pole to throw the lever-style switch because of the wind, so crazy uncle Danny climbed the power pole and threw the switch by hand and you guessed it, got the living hell shocked out of him and sent him falling to the ground. Thankfully, he wasn't hurt - but it gave us years of :wacko:

Another favorite memory is hanging our deer in my grandparents hugh apple tree to age. Two saturday's after the hunt, we'd all gather again to cut and wrap the deer. When we were young kids, we'd take the scraps and set them under a fence post and shoot the magpies when they came in.

I also loved having deer liver and onions after opening day - the only time of year I like having liver. We'd fry it up in grandma's old cast iron frying pan and there was nothing in the world like it.

Listening to college football on am radio.

Sharing a summer sausage and cheese with my son on a ridge overlooking a scenic canyon.

Frozen snickers.

Having a camp shoot-off for bragging rights.

Keep the stories coming, gents. I enjoy reading them. Something ties all deer camps together and I think those similarities are a bigger part of the reason we hunt than the deer. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Bumping this as I know many of my fellow Minnesotans will be hitting the road soon to go to their hunting spot.

Good luck everyone and be safe out there!

:wacko: 1-3 inches of snow up north tomorrow which makes for a good back drop. The deer won't be able to hide. I am heading up around 10am to hopefully miss all the traffic. GL.

Bumping this as I know many of my fellow Minnesotans will be hitting the road soon to go to their hunting spot.

Good luck everyone and be safe out there!

:wacko: 1-3 inches of snow up north tomorrow which makes for a good back drop. The deer won't be able to hide. I am heading up around 10am to hopefully miss all the traffic. GL.

Good luck, gentlemen. Enjoy your hunts!

Not a deer camp story but I'll share anyway. My dad passed away at the end of July and one of the last things he did was give my 15 year old son one of his guns. It's an old Model 311 Stevens 20 guage, side by side, double triggers. Not worth a lot of money but the value is in it's history. My grandfather bought the gun new in the 30's and hunted with it. My dad and uncle grew up with it and my dad got it when grandpa died. My 2 brothers and I grew up learning to hunt with it and now it belongs to my son. I've made sure that my son understands all that and I'm confident that the gun will never leave the family.

Fast forward to last Saturday. Opening day of pheasant season here so I took my son out that afternoon when I got off work. We were in the first field only 15 or 20 yards when a rooster gets up and flies his way. Dropped him with the first shot. As we retrieved the bird he looks at me and says "You think grandpa would be proud". I couldn't answer. Finished walking that field and a couple more with no luck so certainly not a red letter day but what a memory we'll have. Can't wait to get out again this weekend.

Good luck, gentlemen. Enjoy your hunts!

+1.

Had today off to hunt. Still bow season here. Could have smoked a smallish 5 point at 15 yds about 8 this morning. Had the bow drawn and the pin right behind the shoulder but had no intention of shooting him. Hopefully he makes it through and I get the same shot on him next year when he's bigger. :wacko:

Feet of snow is preventing me from leaving for deer hunting today. In fact there are three bucket trucks below me at the truck stop headed to western South Dakota. More than 500 power poles are down and thousands without power. Rumor is floating around that they have found people dead in cars on the interstate. This was a doosy of a storm. We are talking about leaving on Monday. So I will be off to break some ice in the morning on a pond. The northern mallards came in last night from North Dakota. Green head for supper on Sunday.