[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

bacon, carmelized onion gratin. with gruyere

Bier Meister

1-2 yellow onions (finely sliced)

7-10 slices of bacon (diced)

3 lbs of potatoes (russet)

2 cloves of garlic

3/4 qt of cream

1/2 pt of milk

8 oz to 1 lb of shreaded gruyere

salt and white pepper to taste

crisp diced bacon. set aside with slotted spoon. use bacon fat to carmelize onions (use some veg oil or butter if it seems like there's not enough fat). this is a slow process (even at home i'd go 1-2 hours). you cook a little. you add a little water. you let it almost evaporate. then add more water. once done you can set them aside (you can do this a day or so in advance).

preheat oven at 400. milk, cream, and garlic in a pot. bring to a boil (watch out! it will very quickly overflow and run over the sides of your pot!). take garlic out and set aside. while you are waiting for the milk/cream to boil.. peel potatoes and hold in cold water. thinly slice the potatoes (size of potato chips or thinner) and arrange in a greases baking dish. a layer or two of potato, onion, bacon and a little of the mlik/cream... keep doing that until you are out..... top it with the gruyere.. in oven cook about 40 min... you want the potatoes to absorb the milk and the top to brown.

edit: just like a pizza, you want to wait about 5-10 minutes to let it set and then cut it. the gratin can be made a day or so in advance.

a very good variation of this is to sub chicken broth for milk/cream (called savoyarde)

Edited by Bier Meister

gruyere is different than emmental and appenzeller (those two are closer to what we call "swiss"). gruyere is often used on top of french onion soup. if you just don't like it, go with monterrey jack, cheddar, or if you are feeling a littel more adveturous... gouda.

Edited by Bier Meister

Made this last night as a dry run for the party . . . my execution wasn't great. I sliced the potatoes too thickly, plus I used a smallish pan and not quite enough potatoes, so they 'floated' in the cream a little rather than properly soaking it up and melding together. This is why I don't serve my first crack at a new recipe, lol. But still, the flavors were awesome! Yum yum yum; this is going to be a huge hit on Saturday if I can pull my head out of my butt. Thanks, Bier!

Peace

policy

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to say, I was hounded with requests to make this again for a Cap One Bowl watch party; it was an enormous hit yet again. My wife was crazed with jealousy when she overheard her mom call me for the recipe tonight! :D BTW, I made sure your name is on it, Bier, in case it somehow hits the greater Interwebs.

Thanks again for sharing with us, man! :wacko:

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote
  • Like 1

Is gruyere the Busch Light of cheese?

absolutely not

(I'll also take the time to disagree with Bier's assessment that appenzeller cheese would be considered by most Americans to be "swiss cheese" (as it is very strong and not mild like Emmentaler))

gruyere is different than emmental and appenzeller (those two are closer to what we call "swiss").

(I'll also take the time to disagree with Bier's assessment that appenzeller cheese would be considered by most Americans to be "swiss cheese" (as it is very strong and not mild like Emmentaler))

read again professor.

I read it again and I still say that most Americans would not associate Appenzeller cheese with Swiss cheese.

the comparison is to gruyere. both emmental and appenzel are closer to what americans would associate with "swiss" than gruyere.

and I'm still not convinced that they would

if one orders a burger or sandwich with swiss, customers associate emmental and appenzel more with "swiss cheese" than gruyere. i have nothing emperical aside from a lot of experience with uneducated american palettes.

if one orders a burger or sandwich with swiss, customers associate emmental and appenzel more with "swiss cheese" than gruyere. i have nothing emperical aside from a lot of experience with uneducated american palettes.

I absolutely agree that Americans think of emmentaler as "swiss" cheese, but I just do not believe that uneducated american palettes would consider the strong taste of appenzeller as being more like emmentaler than gruyere is like emmentaler. You take someone who thinks cheese consists Kraft cheddar and Kraft swiss and give them a bite of appenzeller, they are going to associate more with the taste of "ass" than with the taste of "swiss" cheese

I absolutely agree that Americans think of emmentaler as "swiss" cheese, but I just do not believe that uneducated american palettes would consider the strong taste of appenzeller as being more like emmentaler than gruyere is like emmentaler. You take someone who thinks cheese consists Kraft cheddar and Kraft swiss and give them a bite of appenzeller, they are going to associate more with the taste of "ass" than with the taste of "swiss" cheese

i understand what you are saying, but it's not the case from my experience. btw i happen to like all of them, and gruyere happens to be my favorite

subject: bacon tastes good.

ready, set, go wiegie.

I have high cholesterol and if I eat too much bacon it could contribute to me having a heart attack and dying and hence missing out on watching my sons grow up. Knowing this, bacon doesn't taste as good to me as it used to. (alas, I'm actually sort of serious here)