[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Forget the Polls, Forget the BCS

theeohiostate

Anyone sleeping on OU's offense is not paying attention to how remarkable they have been. In their last 3 games, they are averaging 47.3 pts a game. In the first half :wacko: They are jumping on teams, and burying them. Against Texas, they let them hang around and they played terrible for half a quarter, and lost after leading for 3+ quarters of that game. Stoops isnt letting letting up near as much, and this offense is outscoring even Tech on the season, and that is remarkable.

OU is the team people are over looking. They are playing better than FLA right now, and no one is watching, but if they blow out tech, whichlikely isnt possible with their offense, people will have to take notice and see a three way tie, things should revert back to before Texas played OU, Texas played Tech, etc. Texas was an under dog, and clearly upset the Sooners. Just like Whorn fans are saying they were upset by Tech. I can see Texas getting the love, but I dont think they deserve it, regardless of what happened in Dallas a 6 weeks ago. OU has been unstoppable since then, and Texas struggled against tech, really never putting a drive together until the 4th, and should have been blown out of that game. But like OU, Tech let them hang around and they made a few plays in the 4th. Difference is Tech had the ball last and they won.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone sleeping on OU's offense is not paying attention to how remarkable they have been. In their last 3 games, they are averaging 47.3 pts a game. In the first half :wacko: They are jumping on teams, and burying them. Against Texas, they let them hang around and they played terrible for half a quarter, and lost after leading for 3+ quarters of that game. Stoops isnt letting letting up near as much, and this offense is outscoring even Tech on the season, and that is remarkable.

OU is the team people are over looking. They are playing better than FLA right now, and no one is watching, but if they blow out tech, whichlikely isnt possible with their offense, people will have to take notice and see a three way tie, things should revert back to before Texas played OU, Texas played Tech, etc. Texas was an under dog, and clearly upset the Sooners. Just like Whorn fans are saying they were upset by Tech. I can see Texas getting the love, but I dont think they deserve it, regardless of what happened in Dallas a 6 weeks ago. OU has been unstoppable since then, and Texas struggled against tech, really never putting a drive together until the 4th, and should have been blown out of that game. But like OU, Tech let them hang around and they made a few plays in the 4th. Difference is Tech had the ball last and they won.

unstoppable? laughable - look at their schedule - all the while giving up 28+ points. Playing better than FLA?? idiotic statement, shocker

save it - they have played KState, Neb and A&M - all 3 are garbage - OU's defense is terrible.

this Tech team could very well beat down the Sooners in Norman

Not sure where this is coming from. I dont think anyone but me has said Tech will get beat by anyone, and I thought they would beat both Texas and Okie St. I do not see Tech going into Norman and beating Stoops boys. OU is 60-2 at home in the Stoops era. So they dont lose there often. Factor in the crowd and a night game, and it will be a difficult task. Tech got bothof its tests so far at home, vs Texas and Okie St. OU in Norman is a whole nother animal.

Im so sick of hearing people complain about being #2. Id be thrilled just to get to the NC game, if my team won out. Then they can win that game, and there is no doubt who is #1. Besides, wouldnt you rather your team be theunder dog, and the other team over looking you. Blows my mind how insecure my buddies from Tech are. Sorry Zia, just heard this song and dance for 2 weeks now, and I havent heard anyone take anything away from Tech. Its hard to jump from 7 to 1, and 7 to 2 over Penn St showed alot of respect to me.

Not so much in the rankings and polls, but more from a talent stand point I hear a lot of people saying Tech is not even in the top 5. Sure their non-conference schedule was a little fluffy. But they won the games they were supposed to and kept that streak up going in to Big 12 play. They have a great offense and a much improved defense. But a lot of folks still see it as a gimmick offense that has no defense at all. I just think that is totally inaccurate.

I think it will be a good game next weekend and should be a shootout, IMO. Do I think it is going to be Techs toughest test to date, yeah. Do I think they will get blown out, no. If they do manage to beat OU in Norman then there will be no question that they deserve that respect.

unstoppable? laughable - look at their schedule - all the while giving up 28+ points. Playing better than FLA?? idiotic statement, shocker

save it - they have played KState, Neb and A&M - all 3 are garbage - OU's defense is terrible.

this Tech team could very well beat down the Sooners in Norman

Who has stopped the Sooners this year. Seriously. You run your mouth, but the facts are no one has come close to stopping them. OU is averaging 51 pts a game. And have scored 35 or more in every game this season. FLA lost at home to Ole Miss, get the hell outta here on who is playing better. OU lost to #3 Texas in Dallas. I know FLA is good, but my statement was far from idiotic, you just fail to give OU any credit at all. While FLA gets all this hype for beating down what is probably the most over rated team in football GA, and then punks LSU, who has no offense what so ever.

Oregon St could very well beat down USC. Sh*t happens. Tech is #2 in the country, so yea, they very well could beat down OU. How ironic is that statement.

And when your offense is scoring 51 pts a game, all your defense has to do is give up less than 50, and you win. Hell Id put money on OU shutting down the best team in the Pac 10, and there is no way SC shuts down the Sooners offense. Talk about a beat down, SC would take it in the ass against my Sooners.

Who has stopped the Sooners this year. Seriously. You run your mouth, but the facts are no one has come close to stopping them. OU is averaging 51 pts a game. And have scored 35 or more in every game this season. FLA lost at home to Ole Miss, get the hell outta here on who is playing better. OU lost to #3 Texas in Dallas. I know FLA is good, but my statement was far from idiotic, you just fail to give OU any credit at all. While FLA gets all this hype for beating down what is probably the most over rated team in football GA, and then punks LSU, who has no offense what so ever.

Oregon St could very well beat down USC. Sh*t happens. Tech is #2 in the country, so yea, they very well could beat down OU. How ironic is that statement.

And when your offense is scoring 51 pts a game, all your defense has to do is give up less than 50, and you win. Hell Id put money on OU shutting down the best team in the Pac 10, and there is no way SC shuts down the Sooners offense. Talk about a beat down, SC would take it in the ass against my Sooners.

first of all- the defense being played in the Big 12 is horrible, even with the outstanding offense being played- so OU won't be stopped til they play someone outside that WAC conference - i.e. FLA, Bama or USC. We may never know if Tech comes into Norman and gets the W. FLA looks great, but the reality is all the 1L teams have their warts - USC's offense has been stagnant- while their D is off the charts good - UT/OU/TT ( assuming they lose to OU) can't stop anyone. Who wins that kind of a matchup? who knows.

BUT there is no way on god's green earth OU is hanging anywhere near 50 or beats down USC - you can't be serious.

either way USC will be on the outside looking in

the real problem is if FLA beasts Bama and OU beats TT - UT/OK/TT and USC all sitting there with 1L wow.

The big multi million dollar question is... if Oklahoma beats Texas Tech, what kind of lift will they get? Will it be enough to overtake Texas and get that spot in the Big 12 Scrimmage game? Obviously this is suggesting that OU can also take care of business against the pokes, and Texas can beat up on the remaining JV teams they have left. I think it is pretty safe to assume at this point, that whoever wins in the Big 12 South will more than likely be playing for the national championship, but here is the other controversy, and it goes to my biggest pet peeve that you should only be able to get into the BCS national championship game if you win your conference. Obviously that isn't a rule, but USC is gonna get screwed if Missouri is able to pull off an upset in the Big 12 title game, because that 2nd place Big 12 South team, will get in to very likely play the winner of the SEC Championship game.

The big multi million dollar question is... if Oklahoma beats Texas Tech, what kind of lift will they get? Will it be enough to overtake Texas and get that spot in the Big 12 Scrimmage game? Obviously this is suggesting that OU can also take care of business against the pokes, and Texas can beat up on the remaining JV teams they have left. I think it is pretty safe to assume at this point, that whoever wins in the Big 12 South will more than likely be playing for the national championship, but here is the other controversy, and it goes to my biggest pet peeve that you should only be able to get into the BCS national championship game if you win your conference. Obviously that isn't a rule, but USC is gonna get screwed if Missouri is able to pull off an upset in the Big 12 title game, because that 2nd place Big 12 South team, will get in to very likely play the winner of the SEC Championship game.

So if USC somehow gets to the #2 BCS ranking with OSU winning the pac 10 you would argue that USC doesn't belong in the NCG?

So if USC somehow gets to the #2 BCS ranking with OSU winning the pac 10 you would argue that USC doesn't belong in the NCG?

Yep. Doubt it will happen. Oregon State likely loses between now and then. But yes, if it's Oregon State that gets the automatic BCS bid from the Pac 10 as Pac 10 Champions, then yes, I would have a problem with that. My argument has always been, if you aren't even good enough to win your own conference, how in the world can you call yourself a National Champion. Particularly when this is such a stupid system to begin with, that winning your conference should be at a premium. But I would like to point out, that Oregon State plays the meat of there Pac 10 schedule starting next week vs Cal.

Yep. Doubt it will happen. Oregon State likely loses between now and then. But yes, if it's Oregon State that gets the automatic BCS bid from the Pac 10 as Pac 10 Champions, then yes, I would have a problem with that. My argument has always been, if you aren't even good enough to win your own conference, how in the world can you call yourself a National Champion. Particularly when this is such a stupid system to begin with, that winning your conference should be at a premium. But I would like to point out, that Oregon State plays the meat of there Pac 10 schedule starting next week vs Cal.

Officially USC would be co-champions FWIW.

I know FLA is good, but my statement was far from idiotic, you just fail to give OU any credit at all. While FLA gets all this hype for beating down what is probably the most over rated team in football GA, and then punks LSU, who has no offense what so ever.

Granted the offenses in the SEC can not compete statistically with the Big12 or the WAC for that matter, however within the conference LSU statistically is actually as good as they were last season when they won the BCS NC. LSU is currently ranked 3rd in total offense compared to last season when they ranked 4th in total offense. The difference this season is LSU ranks 11th in the turnover department at -6 versus last season when they ranked 1st with a +20.

The truth is LSU's offense is so explosive their QB has even thrown SIX TD's for their opponents. :wacko:

I think there's too many scenarios that could play out to have it in black and white that no team can be in the NCG if they don't win their conference. If Florida is ranked BCS #1 and somehow USC #2 and both teams have one conference letdown game, I don't see in this instance where USC is less deserving just because their letdown game cost them a conference championship whereas FLA has the opportunity to win their conference despite their letdown game.

I seriously doubt the scenario would play out but it could. hell even in the NFL you can win the superbowl as a wildcard without ever winning your division. I think a playoff is the way to go. The top teams during the season can battle it out at the end of the year to see who's best. Otherwise we'll just have to accept the fact that OU is #1!!!!!! :wacko:

I think there's too many scenarios that could play out to have it in black and white that no team can be in the NCG if they don't win their conference. If Florida is ranked BCS #1 and somehow USC #2 and both teams have one conference letdown game, I don't see in this instance where USC is less deserving just because their letdown game cost them a conference championship whereas FLA has the opportunity to win their conference despite their letdown game.

I seriously doubt the scenario would play out but it could. hell even in the NFL you can win the superbowl as a wildcard without ever winning your division. I think a playoff is the way to go. The top teams during the season can battle it out at the end of the year to see who's best. Otherwise we'll just have to accept the fact that OU is #1!!!!!! :wacko:

And my point is, each team agrees to the terms and conditions of how it is their conference determines champions. It's not like we're in the middle of the season and they completely change the rules. My comeback is simply don't have a let down game. My other comeback is, defenders of the BCS say that a playoff would diminish the regular season. Well what is the highest level of regular season success a team can attain? A conference Championship. But the point is all moot because you don't have to win your conference to get into one of the mythical NC spots.

And yes I understand that USC would be co conference champions. However, Oregon State would have the automatic bid from the conference in the event of a tie between the 2 teams, and would go to the Rose Bowl. USC would get the ring, but not the Automatic Bid.

ESPN homepage right now.......

The 1993 Florida State Seminoles are alive and well in Norman, Okla.

Bobby Bowden's first national champion finished No. 1 despite suffering a loss to the team that finished No. 2. Dr. Lou, the coach of that Notre Dame team, slams his stethoscope to the ground and stalks out of the room every time he hears it.

Fifteen years later, Oklahoma is hoping for the same result as the Seminoles. No. 5 Oklahoma, idle this week, has games remaining against No. 2 Texas Tech and No. 13 Oklahoma State. If the Sooners win, they somehow would have to leap over No. 3 Texas, the team that beat them 45-35 on Oct. 11.

If Texas Tech, Texas and Oklahoma finish in a three-way tie for the Big 12 South championship, then the BCS standings will determine which team will play in the league championship game.

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops has done his share of politicking -- you may recall his unsuccessful campaign to get to the BCS National Championship Game with two losses last season -- but he's not ready to start his public campaign now.

"We've got to beat Tech and Oklahoma State," Stoops said. "If we can win, then there's something to say, and quite a lot."

The Sooners, stuck at No. 5, haven't gotten a lot of national attention since their loss to the Longhorns. They have won four consecutive shootouts, scoring more points in each successive week:

Oklahoma 45, Kansas 31

Oklahoma 58, Kansas State 35

Oklahoma 62, Nebraska 28

Oklahoma 66, Texas A&M 28

Those are bigger routs than they appear to be. In the past three fourth quarters, the Sooners have thrown a total of six passes and scored a total of three points. All of which is to say that if Oklahoma beats Texas Tech -- and the game is in Norman -- then Texas is not a slam dunk to finish ahead of the Sooners.

Oklahoma will have an edge in strength of schedule. The Sooners defeated No. 18 TCU and No. 22 Cincinnati, which could both finish as conference champions, and, in the Bearcats' case, in a BCS bowl. The only one of Texas' nonconference opponents with a winning record is Rice.

And Oklahoma will have beaten two highly ranked teams in the final weeks of the season. Richard Billingsley, who runs one of the six computer rankings used by the BCS, said via e-mail, "Overall in my system, beating a top-three team in mid-November is worth more than beating a top-three team in early October. Point values are greater because teams have accomplished more."

In the case of a three-way tie in which all three teams have beaten each other, Billingsley said the Sooners have an advantage there, too. "OU beating Texas Tech would be worth more than Texas beating OU."

Billingsley said he doesn't know if Oklahoma would move past Texas, because the Longhorns play at Kansas this week.

Billingsley is one voice, and the voters in the Harris poll and the USA Today coaches' poll all have their own voices, too. In case you're wondering, Mike Leach of Texas Tech and Mack Brown of Texas have votes in the coaches' poll. Stoops does not.

"No question, there's an argument for and against everyone," Stoops said. "If you lost a game, you have to admit there's an argument. That's what I'm tired of. Then it gets down to who wants to trumpet who. You're subject to all of that. … You feel like you'd rather be one of a group to have a shot at it."

That's the one argument that Stoops is ready to make: He's about ready for a playoff.

People can slant the argument anyway that makes them feel better. In the case of OU and Texas , it has already been decided on the field. No mythical game needs to be created, it was said and done and Texas won. If the BCS were to put OU over Texas it would be the biggest sham in sports dating back to the USSR win over USA in Olympic basketball . Justify it all they like, undeserving sham is the only phrase that would be correct. Hopefully the better team, Tech , puts this subject to rest this weekend. This is becoming too much like OSU - Michigan a few years back. The results would be the same in the NC Game imo.

People can slant the argument anyway that makes them feel better. In the case of OU and Texas , it has already been decided on the field. No mythical game needs to be created, it was said and done and Texas won. If the BCS were to put OU over Texas it would be the biggest sham in sports dating back to the USSR win over USA in Olympic basketball . Justify it all they like, undeserving sham is the only phrase that would be correct. Hopefully the better team, Tech , puts this subject to rest this weekend. This is becoming too much like OSU - Michigan a few years back. The results would be the same in the NC Game imo.

Then what do you do if OU beats Tech? If OU cannot move ahead of Texas because of the H2H, does that mean that Texas cannot move ahead of Tech?

Your argument makes sense on paper but is impractical in cases like this. One of these three teams will leap frog the other if OU wins. Tech will not stay ahead of Texas if they lose next week.

Then what do you do if OU beats Tech? If OU cannot move ahead of Texas because of the H2H, does that mean that Texas cannot move ahead of Tech?

Your argument makes sense on paper but is impractical in cases like this. One of these three teams will leap frog the other if OU wins. Tech will not stay ahead of Texas if they lose next week.

Why bother arguing with this tool. He is as clueless about college football as my dog.

For the record I have NO problem if Oklahoma gets ranked ahead of Texas after beating Texas Tech. I do have a problem with teams that don't even win their conference getting into the EXTREMELY exclusive game known as the BCS national championship game. Missouri is the fly in the ointment. If Missouri wins the Big 12 Title game, it will very likely be the SEC Champion vs Big 12 South #2. But I'm a broken record on that, so I'll stop.

For the record I have NO problem if Oklahoma gets ranked ahead of Texas after beating Texas Tech. I do have a problem with teams that don't even win their conference getting into the EXTREMELY exclusive game known as the BCS national championship game. Missouri is the fly in the ointment. If Missouri wins the Big 12 Title game, it will very likely be the SEC Champion vs Big 12 South #2. But I'm a broken record on that, so I'll stop.

:wacko: So, Texas beats OU on a neutral site, has one loss (last second road loss with two major cogs injured), and they're ranked below an OU team that beats Tech at home (as they should?) that also has one loss? Yeah, yeah... I know, more recent wins are what are in the forefront of our memories. Yeah, OU has better out-of-conference wins. But head-to-head is vastly under-recognized IMO. 'Course, I'm a little biased here. :D

I do agree with you that Mizzou somehow going to the NC game would be ridiculous. Good thing there's little chance of that happening.

:wacko: So, Texas beats OU on a neutral site, has one loss (last second road loss with two major cogs injured), and they're ranked below an OU team that beats Tech at home (as they should?) that also has one loss? Yeah, yeah... I know, more recent wins are what are in the forefront of our memories. Yeah, OU has better out-of-conference wins. But head-to-head is vastly under-recognized IMO. 'Course, I'm a little biased here. :D

I do agree with you that Mizzou somehow going to the NC game would be ridiculous. Good thing there's little chance of that happening.

:D

Well it would be a late season win over the #2 ranked team. Let me be clear, I wouldn't have any problem with Texas, or Texas Tech being ranked higher too. Missouri wouldn't get into the National title game. If they win, you'll get a case of the 2nd place Big 12 South team getting in likely against the SEC Champion. For Missouri it's Fiesta Bowl or bust.

In this scenerio this would be a 3 way tie, its not like its just these 2 teams head to head. Tech has the same argument over Texas, as Texas has over OU, and OU will have over Tech if OU happens to win this game. And in my opinion you look back at how these teams started. OU was considered to be the better team over Texas, just like texas was considered to be better than Tech, and Id bet OU is a favorite over Tech too. So its not just who beat who, but who is the best team of the bunch, and looking at how OU was leading that texas game for 3+ quarters before melting down, their fault by the way. I dont see how you can say Texas is more deserving that OU, especially in a 3 way tie scenerio where each team beat a undefeated top 2 team. And for the record, I think Tech should still be ahead of Texas in the standings because of the way they beat them, and it just happened. Texas never sustained a drive until the final one. They scored points, but a kickoff return, a DB falling down for a 80 yard TD, defensive score, etc. Tech dominated that game from start to finish, and Texas as they did vs OU, hung around and tried to steal it at the end. This time they couldnt. Because tech moved right down the field in under 2 minutes and scored to win the game.

Besides, if OU wins out, they would have beaten the probable Big East Champ, TCU, and 2 of the other 3 big dogs in the south. Where Texas and Tech havent beaten anyone to date but Big 12 opponents. SOS has to play a part in the computers, otherwise Texas computer ranking thus far wouldnt be where it is now. And I see that shifting greatly after OU plays Tech and Okie St, plus the non conference wins, vs Texas non conference wins.

:wacko:

No one is saying its a given OU will win the game. hell Tech has won 2 of the last 3 in this series alone. This is hypothetical, if it does happen.

And Zia, you are a typical tech fan. You can sit back, and just root for your team, and if they win out, they win the NC. Why you are so bothered by scenerios or Tech isnt #1, blah blah blah is typical tech. What does it matter, if you are 1 or 2. 1 plays 2 in the NC game. And its my opinion you will be 1, as soon as Bama loses, and if you get Bama in the NC game, your team will win a National Championship.

All I hear on local radio is how tech isnt getting any love. Are you freakin kidding, when has Tech ever been the main game on ABC before the past 2 weeks. That is love baby. OU hasnt played a night game yet on ABC, and their first will be Techs 3rd.

Edited by Sgt Ryan