[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We ARE !

theeohiostate

Please don't watch. In fact, don't watch any bowl games. The only way to change the system is to vote with our wallets. That means no viewers.

Playoffs would be nice, however say what you want about the BCS, but without it you don't get these do or die (sudden death) games like we have this past weekend aka Ok vs Tx Tech and the upcoming weeks leading up to the BCS bowl games.

Playoffs would be nice, however say what you want about the BCS, but without it you don't get these do or die (sudden death) games like we have this past weekend aka Ok vs Tx Tech and the upcoming weeks leading up to the BCS bowl games.

rocker - this argument is so tired...........

do you honestly believe if we had an 8 team playoff or a +1 scenario that the OU/TT game wouldn't have been as hugh?? yer crazy

hugh rivalry games, and fighting to get into a playoff makes these games just as important. This is football, teams still only have 12-13 games, bitter rivals, league championships, playoffs seem to work pretty well in every other team sport.

it is criminal what is going with this BCS bchit and defies all logic and I think we are getting close to a tipping point hopefully.

rocker - this argument is so tired...........

do you honestly believe if we had an 8 team playoff or a +1 scenario that the OU/TT game wouldn't have been as hugh?? yer crazy

How can you call me crazy? :wacko:

Just one day after Texas Tech got an absolute a$$ kicking 65-21 whippin not by the #1 team but by the #5 team, yet they still would make the playoffs as the #7 seed. :D

How can you call me crazy? :wacko:

Just one day after Texas Tech got an absolute a$$ kicking 65-21 whippin not by the #1 team but by the #5 team, yet they still would make the playoffs as the #7 seed. :D

Yup. And last year the Giants lost to the Pats in the final week of the regular season and got into the playoffs as a wild card and went on to win the Super Bowl. Funny how that works.

Yup. And last year the Giants lost to the Pats in the final week of the regular season and got into the playoffs as a wild card and went on to win the Super Bowl. Funny how that works.

Not sure by your response. :wacko:

You agree or disagree with me that if we had a 8 team playoff the Texas Tech vs. Oklahoma game would not have been nearly as huge of a game?

And how about Bama vs Auburn or Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State, or Florida vs. Florida State or Texas vs. A&M or USC vs. Notre Dame this week?

Edited by Rockerbraves

You agree or disagree with me that if we had a 8 team playoff the Texas Tech vs. Oklahoma game would not have been nearly as huge of a game?

And how about Bama vs Auburn or Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State, or Florida vs. Florida State or Texas vs. A&M or USC vs. Notre Dame this week?

Some might, others won't. It is a drop in the bucket compared to the overwhelming majority of games that don't matter right now. Pretty sure that no one cared about Iowa vs Minnesota. Or LSU vs Ole Miss. Or the classic Apple Cup game. As a matter of fact, you're only relevant if the team ahead of you loses. Pretty sure the USC-Notre Dame game is already not really that big of a deal, if the teams above USC don't lose. Last year Ohio State-Michigan was irrelevant, until everyone ahead of Ohio State started falling. Same can be said for the SEC Championship game last year. And if Oklahoma doesn't get the bump up ahead of Texas by beating OK state, then where exactly was the relevance of Oklahoma destroying Texas Tech? Non existent.

I am disagreeing with you. I am pointing out how the end of the season game propelled the Giants to their SB championship.

If you had an 8 team playoff instead of becoming one of the top 2 and then don't lose, you have get into the top 8 and don't lose. Then instead of just a couple of teams outside the top two (in this case, 4) you'd have all those just outseide the top 8, perhaps another 8 that would be chomping at the bit to make it into the top tier. I think it would do just the opposite, it would make more regular season games relevant. Oh and the rivalries would still continue.

You know, you may be the only person not being paid by the bowls who wants this thing to stay the same. That begs the question, where ARE you getting that kickback from?

For starters, it's only 8 teams. It's not as if everyone can just assume that they're in. Would TT v OU been as huge? No, but it would be"nearly as huge" because the loser might end up on the outside looking in. Well, it certainly would have been the case for OU since it would have been their 2nd loss. However, look at TT now. They've gone from #2 to on the bubble.

As for the games this week. Bama loses to Auburn? That makes UF an absolute must win. If they win this week and lose a very close game to FL, they might end up top 8.

OU loses to OSU? Well, for starters, it's huge for both TT and Texas. That give TT a chance to play in the Big 12 title game and perhaps solidify a spot in the 8 team play-off and possibly knocks OU out of the mix considering how many good one-loss teams there are.

FL loses to FSU? Same as OU, puts them very much on the outside looking in. Same with USC. Hell, same with UT.

Actually, nearly every game you've mentioned is absolutely important if they switch to an 8 team playoff and one could argue that, for a team like USC is even more important. At this point, they could win out and not have it matter at all. Hell, so could Texas.

Now, that we're talking about games that don't matter as much, you can't talk about a few regular season games possibly not being as important with out talking about 6 post season games that are absolutely and irrefutably more important. Those being the 6 games besides the final that would matter orders of magnitude more than whatever exhibition game all the teams besides those in the NC game will play in January. Texas, USC, Tech, Utah, and whomever else ends up not in the NC game will trade some game that only their fan base, gamblers, and total die-hards care about for an opportunity to play for the title. A game that would be appointment TV for a much larger audience.

More importantly, you need to realize that this "makes the regular season less important" is a feeble argument even if it was true. The only thing the BCS promises is the top two teams in a final. However the manner they choose to do that, quite simply, doesn't work most of the time. In cases like USC v Texas, sure, it worked fine. It not only gave us two teams that absolutely nobody would question were the two best teams in the country and those two teams gave us an amazing game. The rest of the time? Not only can nobody agree that the two teams playing are most deserving, the games themselves are often horrible.

Nobody will argue that two years ago, at least in terms of how it is currently set up, OSU did what they needed to do to make the NC game. However, considering that we have so little data to compare top teams, we had no idea that they were, in fact, one of the 2 best teams in the country. Looking back, one could argue that USC v FL might have been the game that featured the two strongest teams in the country. A game that might have born out had there been a play-off.

Keep in mind also that there's a very good chance that the College NC game could end up being more competitive than the Super Bowl because it would be more openly seeded. The Super Bowl, like nearly every other pro sports final is actually the merging of two separate tournaments, either one of which could likely be loaded with 2-3 of the best teams. This wouldn't be the case. Teams would be seeded by ranking, not put into conference groupings.

The old way was broken, so it needed fixing. They fixed it with something only barely less broken. Now they need to finish the job.

Edited by detlef

I am disagreeing with you. I am pointing out how the end of the season game propelled the Giants to their SB championship.

If you had an 8 team playoff instead of becoming one of the top 2 and then don't lose, you have get into the top 8 and don't lose. Then instead of just a couple of teams outside the top two (in this case, 4) you'd have all those just outseide the top 8, perhaps another 8 that would be chomping at the bit to make it into the top tier. I think it would do just the opposite, it would make more regular season games relevant. Oh and the rivalries would still continue.

You know, you may be the only person not being paid by the bowls who wants this thing to stay the same. That begs the question, where ARE you getting that kickback from?

Never said I was against the playoff just bring up some positives of the current BCS system. I like the analogy that the BCS is like watching a trapeze artist working without a safety net.

For those who think the bowl games would not be hurt just look what happen to basketball's NIT Tournament once the NCAA expanded their tournament. And talk about making a regular season absolutely meaningless a college basketball team in most cconferences can conceivable lose every game of the regular season yet if they win their conference tourney they get an automatic invite to the big dance.

Edited by Rockerbraves

Never said I was against the playoff just bring up some positives of the current BCS system. I like the analogy that the BCS is like watching a trapeze artist working without a safety net.

For those who think the bowl games would not be hurt just look what happen to basketball's NIT Tournament once the NCAA expanded their tournament. And talk about making a regular season absolutely meaningless a college basketball team in most cconferences can conceivable lose every game of the regular season yet if they win their conference tourney they get an automatic invite to the big dance.

I guess maybe most of us care less about the bowls than a true national champion. Do you think people really care about the Carquest Holiday Bowl if their alma mater isn't playing in it? I really don't care if every last bowl lost money and folded up if a playoff was put in place and they let the teams decide it on the field. FWIW, if a 16 team field were used that would be 15 games and I bet that each game would make more money than all but the current BCS Bowls.

In short, there is nothing good about the current system for anyone except those currently making money off it. Changing to a playoff system would not in any way/shape/or form take away from what we currently have in college football. It can only add to what is an exciting sport.

Oh and just so we're clear, I would ask you to go do some research on what the Big East championship means to Jim Calhoun or Rick Pitino or the ACC Championship means to Coach K. I think you'll find that these gentlemen think that the regular season championship is extremely important. Personally, I think they know more about these things than I do.

One more thing. If the last place team in the Big East was to win the Big East tournament (all 16 teams are playing this year) and win the automatic bid, they would have earned it and there isn't a team in the league that would deny that. That team would have to beat at least two top ten and perhaps as many as four ranked teams within four days. Yeah, I think they would earn it.

1) Most of what is good about the current system has nothing to do with the system. College football is fun. It is not fun because every team is subjected to a beauty pageant at the end of the year, it is fun because it's major college football.

2) The trapeze analogy is bad. That would be fine if it was truly a matter of having to win every game or not having a shot at the NC game. However, that is simply not the case. We are certain to have at least one team in the NC game with one loss. So, it appears that (or those teams) had a safety net but others didn't. In fact, it is quite likely that one elite team is going to get in ahead of another who beat them head to head and lost only to another elite team. So, if you want to use your trapeze/safety net, it would go like this. The BCS is like watching a trapeze artist working with a net that either catches them or doesn't due to a frustrating set of circumstances that you really can't comprehend.

On to the next. First off, the NIT suffers from the same thing that the lower tier bowl games suffer from. It involves teams that really have no business going to a tournament. It is already a problem with football and absolutely nothing that can be placed at the feet of a play-off system. In fact, a play-off would make more post season games matter, not less.

In terms of losing every game during the season and getting in via the conference tourney. Go ahead and bring that up the second it has absolutely anything to do with the subject at hand where 8 (or perhaps 12) teams will be chosen among the nation's elite and each and every one of them will have had to put together an impressive full-season resume to be included.

Seriously. You simply don't have a limb to stand on here.