[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Iverson to the Pistons?

THE SIX KINGS

Iverson Traded for Billups?

By Lee Russakoff

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 16:44:30 GMT

ESPN's Stephen A. Smith is reporting that Allen Iverson is about to be traded to Detroit.

According to Stephen A., the Nuggets will get Chauncey Billups and Antonio McDyess in exchange for A.I.

"The Answer" reportedly asked for a trade so that he could have a shot at a championship before his career ended. (Isn't that what he said when he left Philly?) The deal would also be attractive to the Pistons because Iverson's max contract expires at the end of this year.

After the Pistons lost in the Eastern Confernce Finals to the Celtics last year, Detroit GM Joe Dumars said he planned to shake things up and that no one on the Pistons roster was safe.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting (and deal is confirmed).

last night ESPN ticker was saying that if Marbury is waived from the Knicks as is expected to happen if D'Antoni gets his way, Denver and the Heat were the primary interested teams. I wonder if this deal affects that interest at all.

Edited by Big Country

Iverson Traded for Billups?

By Lee Russakoff

Mon, 03 Nov 2008 16:44:30 GMT

The deal would also be attractive to the Pistons because Iverson's max contract expires at the end of this year.

This was supposedly a hugh part of the thinking here. Between A.I. and Rasheed there will be $35 mil off the books at the end of the year. Supposedly a good year for free agents but I haven't researched that yet.

Wow.

Edit:

Looks like McDyess doesn't want to play for the Nuggets. :D So, it's essentially Billups for Iverson (who's 33 and in his final year of his contract). Just off the top of my head, this is a horrible trade for the Pistons. Did Matt Millen just move over to the Pistons' front office? :wacko:

Edited by darin3

Wow.

Edit:

Looks like McDyess doesn't want to play for the Nuggets. :D So, it's essentially Billups for Iverson (who's 33 and in his final year of his contract). Just off the top of my head, this is a horrible trade for the Pistons. Did Matt Millen just move over to the Pistons' front office? :wacko:

I think this trade was more about bringing Stuckey along and having funding to surround him with better big men

I really like this trade for the nuggets. I came to LOVE iverson. dude just has mad skills and a hugh heart. I am and always will be a fan. but his game has major weaknesses as well. he is small, can't play defense, and is average at best as an outside shooter. AI meant the nuggets had to start another smallish guard (anthony carter) to run the point, and bring JR smith off the bench. all of AI's weaknesses are chauncey's strengths. now JR can start at 2, and AC can be what he should be, a backup point. the nuggets get MUCH better on defense, and more balanced on offense, even if not quite as explosive.

it's hard for me to see how this makes the pistons a more formidable team in the east. about the best argument you can make for them is that it frees a hugh amount of cap space next year. that's great and all, but trading for expiring contracts is something sucky rebuilding teams usually do, not teams trying to win it all.

I really like this trade for the nuggets. I came to LOVE iverson. dude just has mad skills and a hugh heart. I am and always will be a fan. but his game has major weaknesses as well. he is small, can't play defense, and is average at best as an outside shooter. AI meant the nuggets had to start another smallish guard (anthony carter) to run the point, and bring JR smith off the bench. all of AI's weaknesses are chauncey's strengths. now JR can start at 2, and AC can be what he should be, a backup point. the nuggets get MUCH better on defense, and more balanced on offense, even if not quite as explosive.

it's hard for me to see how this makes the pistons a more formidable team in the east. about the best argument you can make for them is that it frees a hugh amount of cap space next year. that's great and all, but trading for expiring contracts is something sucky rebuilding teams usually do, not teams trying to win it all.

Well said on all accounts. Billups returns home to a pretty decent team (even if they lost Camby .... but too bad they're in the west) where he'll be extremely effective. Iverson is a shoot-first PG - something the Nuggets don't need - and while he was a steals machine, he is often a defensive liability ... yup, I said it.

Iverson and Rip in the backcourt? :wacko: That's like 300 pounds of stick figure. Good luck defending any of the bigger guards in the post.

Well said on all accounts. Billups returns home to a pretty decent team (even if they lost Camby .... but too bad they're in the west) where he'll be extremely effective. Iverson is a shoot-first PG - something the Nuggets don't need - and while he was a steals machine, he is often a defensive liability ... yup, I said it.

Iverson and Rip in the backcourt? :wacko: That's like 300 pounds of stick figure. Good luck defending any of the bigger guards in the post.

you too homos should get a room.

Chauncey has not been the same since 2004/2005. He has no passion left for the game. Talk about a sieve, watch him try and guard Parker, CP, Nash, BD, etc.... Plus he has no "Big Shot" left. I hope for the best for him. He helped lead us to a championship and many solid years afterwards. Oh and enjoy that contract for a few more years.

This frees up cap for the Stones as Puddy stated even if it doesn't work out this year. Yes AI is feast or famine on the defensive side but I think he'll play more team defense with Curry at the helm and if not we still have some big bodies down low. Plus he still can carry the team offensively when we need it which has really hurt us the past few years. Hopefully we can get Dyess back but if not then the younger guys will need to play a bit more which should be a good long term.

Did anyone really fear the Pistons this year before the trade?

Do you Celtics / Cavs and other East teams fear them now? Not sure, I'd like to hear from them on that point.

This message approved by Chiefjay.

Edited by chiefjay

hey, chiefjay....the preseason over-under for wins was 505.5 for the pistons, 40.5 for the nuggets. spread of 10 wins. would you care to place a modest wager on the pistons winning at least 8 games more than the nuggets (I'll be generous and give you a couple)?

yes, absolutely, 8's a tie, under 8 you win, over 8 I win. $20 and Puddy's wife. Deal?

I agree for the most part - great deal for Denver - CB will be fit in nicely- give JR Smith more time- and also he will be a nice option when Melo is doubled and they need a knock-down jumper. I have always been a hugh AI fan, but he is slipping, and I just don't think he really knows how to win anymore-

that being said I think the move to the E will be great fot him- he is going to feast on the weaker 1's in the E nicely - none of them can guard AI- and Det can hide him easier on D in the east- no more CP3,Dwill, Nash, Baron, Parker to deal with in the playoffs -

interesting deal- alot depends on how much Billups has over the rest of that contract -

Like ChiefJay said. The Pistons didn't have a realistic chance of winning the title with the same guys as before. This may give them a jump start this year but the real play is for the future. Discounting that part of the trade is BS. Joe D knows what he is doing (when he isn't drafting 7-foot projects from the Eastern Bloc).

Pistons get Iverson now, LeBron later?

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

Nov 3, 6:03 pm EST

Buzz Up Print

LOS ANGELES - OCTOBER 31: All…

Getty Images - Nov 1, 1:08 am EDT NBA Gallery More From Adrian WojnarowskiSource: Iverson traded to Detroit Nov 3, 2008 D'Antoni empowers self in debut Oct 30, 2008

Joe Dumars had the chance to consider Dallas’ Jason Kidd and his expiring contract over the summer, a league executive said Monday, but the Detroit Pistons president had bigger, bolder ideas. Allen Iverson still gives the Pistons a puncher’s chance in the Eastern Conference this season, but this trade isn’t about him. It isn’t about Chauncey Billups.

Think bigger.

Think bolder.

Think LeBron James, 2010.

The Pistons president doesn’t just have the salary cap space for the Cleveland Cavaliers star. He also has the connections and the championship credibility. Make no mistake: Detroit and Dumars are officially in hot pursuit of James – maybe even the favorite now – and it promises to be a long, agonizing two years for the Cavaliers.

Detroit doesn’t deliver the bright lights and global metropolis destination that James wants when he opts out of his contract in 2010, but two more years of watching Kobe Bryant win titles could transform his priorities. James wants badly to be considered the best player on the planet and that won’t happen until he’s a champion.

James wants a front office with a vision that honors his greatness, and make no mistake: This makes Detroit and Dumars so dangerous, makes them Cleveland’s worst nightmare. The city could justify losing its prodigal son to New York or Los Angeles, but nearby Detroit?

Cleveland would never recover.

So why Iverson over a possible package for Kidd? Several league executives know exactly why: The trade with Denver to make an unhappy Iverson happier just further imbeds the Detroit franchise deeper into James’ agent, Leon Rose, and advisor, William Wesley. Just as they represent James, they rep Iverson.

And as much as anyone, “World Wide” Wes is one of the most important voices in Lebron’s life. Wesley lives in Detroit, where one of Rose’s clients, Richard Hamilton, is a Pistons star. What’s more, Dumars is close to an agreement with Hamilton on a two-year extension that will keep him through 2012, sources say. This is a terrific show of faith for Hamilton, who is trying to recoup hundreds of thousands of dollars that a business manager allegedly stole from him.

Wesley comes and goes at the Palace of Auburn Hills as he pleases, and few have such a window into the winning culture of the Pistons.

As one rival GM said Monday, “Damn it, I am afraid Joe has this whole thing wired. He’s got everything in place to pull this off.”

The New Jersey Nets’ move to Brooklyn is falling apart, and so is owner Bruce Ratner’s chances of using limited partner, Jay-Z, to lure James. The Knicks will be a factor, but the bumbling of the Stephon Marbury mess has reflected horribly on the organization. The Knicks have an owner, GM and coach with differing agendas and they’ve made an initial poor impression. Detroit can’t compete with New York as the global city to market James, but winning could take care of everything.

With Donnie Walsh and Mike D’Antoni as GM and coach, the Knicks can still get their act together. Yet, no one will ever need to ask that of Dumars. No one else can sell James on a winning culture as compellingly as Dumars. He had gone as far as he could with Billups, who has three years and $36 million left on his contract. Billups gave the Pistons a slight edge over Iverson to make another run this season, but Dumars had already gotten a final run out of him a year ago. Detroit won a title, reached a Game 7 of the NBA Finals and six straight Eastern Conference finals with Billups.

Now, Billups is 32 years old. He’s declining. This is a low-risk, short-term, high-reward, long-term play for Dumars.

The Pistons president believes that the young guard Rodney Stuckey, a brilliant pick out of Eastern Washington, can take over the Pistons next year. Iverson and Rasheed Wallace could leave the payroll this summer, and the Pistons will be $22 million under the salary cap in 2009. They will have a core of Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince, Stuckey, Jason Maxiell and Amir Johnson in 2010. No one else among James’ serious suitors with cap space has two All-Stars (Hamilton and Prince) and a potential third (Stuckey) for him to join.

Most of all, James knows he’d have Dumars to give him the right coach, the right teammates, the right atmosphere to chase championships for a long, long time. What makes this plan so ingenious is that the bridge from Iverson to Stuckey, from Wallace to Maxiell, makes it possible for the Pistons to reconstruct themselves without bottoming out. They’ll still be a 50-win team. Dumars hates the idea of rebuilding through the lottery, and that won’t need to happen here. He won’t be offering James a heap of ashes in 2010, but a good team needing him to complete its greatness.

For the flawed franchises falling over themselves to get under the salary cap for 2010, the most ingenious plan promises to start out of the NBA’s brightest executive mind. Joe Dumars is thinking big. He’s thinking bold. This will be an agonizing two years in Cleveland.

Pure comedy - I do agree AI's expiring contract is a big part of the deal - and a nice bonus for da pistons

but I stopped reading after I saw LBJ and Detroit in the same sentence - Puddy has a better chance of signing with Detroit than Lebron -

Cle- Det would be like trading in an AMC Pacer for a PInto -

Pure comedy - I do agree AI's expiring contract is a big part of the deal - and a nice bonus for da pistons

but I stopped reading after I saw LBJ and Detroit in the same sentence - Puddy has a better chance of signing with Detroit than Lebron -

Cle- Det would be like trading in an AMC Pacer for a PInto -

not to mention, cleveland can still offer him a lot more money, can't they?

Yeah, I'm not sure that LeBron will come here either. That doesn't diminish the fact that Joe D. will have a boatload of cash to spend on other big name guys that will be available and looking to play a great organization that is dedicated to winning.

• 2 weeks later...