[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

College Bball

Timmypg

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No threads yet on College basketball? Are Billay & Wildcats ok? Nothing on Hansbrough's leg or Olson quitting? No top 25 banter? I hope everyone is alright.

Well baseball ended a little later than normal, the NBA tipped off and college football and the NFL have been extra interesting this year, IMO.

I'm sure college hoop chat will start up here in a few days or a week. With Hansbrough, UNC is head and shoulders better than anyone else. There are some other good teams out there, though. I'm sure I'll get into the swing of things in a few days and will come back to chat about it.

werd - will take me some time to get into it- my head is still spinning with Lute stepping down and I am still pissed at losing Jennings to fraking Europe, who would have made this years team legit.

Then follow that up with the Lute debacle and terrbibly-timed departure that resulted in losing our top 5 recruiting class that was coming in....... top it off with one of the top few programs over the past 20 years now being coached by an ASU cast off who last year was doing color commentary for Sun Devil games........... things are not good in UA Wildcat land to say the least

more to come

After a terrible baseball season, the most horrific college football season imaginable, an NFL season that's been very disappointing, and a season without an NBA franchise starting up, college basketball comes as a welcome relief to the people in my neck of the woods.

Gonzaga is ranked #10 in the pre-season poll. A little overrated, but the game vs. UConn in Seattle is going to be pretty awesome. Washington is just outside the top 25, and will be there soon with Jon Brockman as a P10 POY/All-American caliber post player, and a 5-8 freshman scoring machine named Isaiah Thomas. Washington State is also just outside the top 25 and plays as fundamentally sound a game of basketball as the Pac-10 has seen in a long time. They will be fun to watch. Also, Seattle University returns to Division I play for the first time in almost three decades.

I'm certainly looking forward to it and will be on top of stuff from the PacNW.

After a terrible baseball season, the most horrific college football season imaginable, an NFL season that's been very disappointing, and a season without an NBA franchise starting up, college basketball comes as a welcome relief to the people in my neck of the woods.

Gonzaga is ranked #10 in the pre-season poll. A little overrated, but the game vs. UConn in Seattle is going to be pretty awesome. Washington is just outside the top 25, and will be there soon with Jon Brockman as a P10 POY/All-American caliber post player, and a 5-8 freshman scoring machine named Isaiah Thomas. Washington State is also just outside the top 25 and plays as fundamentally sound a game of basketball as the Pac-10 has seen in a long time. They will be fun to watch. Also, Seattle University returns to Division I play for the first time in almost three decades.

I'm certainly looking forward to it and will be on top of stuff from the PacNW.

werd - plus UW gets a nice little gift from Lute retiring - the #2 PG prospect in the country de-committed and is going to UW next year...........

Well, not sure what to say this year that I didn;t say at the beginning of the last 2 years. UNC is the first unanimous preseason #1 since the inception of the poll. Virtually everybody is back. We lost Quentin Thomas graduated and Alex Stepheson transferred to be closer to his ailing dad, but we get Bobby Frasor back from his injury and we have a bumper crop of Freshmen. A couple of injuries to contend with as Hansbrough has a "stress reaction" in his shin and will be out for a bit (nothing serious i think) and Marcus Ginyard had surgery on his foot. He will be out till Jan. or so.

Defense should be the biggest area of improvement. Offensively, we'll still be one of the top 2 teams in the country.

Well, not sure what to say this year that I didn;t say at the beginning of the last 2 years. UNC is the first unanimous preseason #1 since the inception of the poll. Virtually everybody is back. We lost Quentin Thomas graduated and Alex Stepheson transferred to be closer to his ailing dad, but we get Bobby Frasor back from his injury and we have a bumper crop of Freshmen. A couple of injuries to contend with as Hansbrough has a "stress reaction" in his shin and will be out for a bit (nothing serious i think) and Marcus Ginyard had surgery on his foot. He will be out till Jan. or so.

Defense should be the biggest area of improvement. Offensively, we'll still be one of the top 2 teams in the country.

Anything less than a national championship, and this season will be a failure.

:wacko:

I just joined up with The Huddle but if there are people to talk NCAA basketball, I'm all for this site. It's tough to find a decent place to talk college basketball.

You'll find that the college hoops talk is pretty good and you don't have many blowhards like there are in the college football forum. Welcome to the site and we look forward to your input, even if you are a silly KU fan. :wacko:

You'll find that the college hoops talk is pretty good and you don't have many blowhards like there are in the college football forum. Welcome to the site and we look forward to your input, even if you are a silly KU fan. :wacko:

First off, thanks for the welcome. Secondly, I'm a college basketball first and foremost so I appreciate all teams.....except Missouri, there is no hope for them :D

I grew up 20 minutes from the KU campus so that's just always been in my blood.

Great, another Big 12 apologist.... :D

:D

Just a few brief notes on my Horns... Kevin Durant is long gone. Now D.J. Augustin is gone. This Longhorn team is actually a bit similar to the football squad: no real "star", but a solid set of starters that will share the ball and win some games. A.J. Abrams will lead the squad as a senior, and the underrated Damion James could move to the national forefront. The massive Dexter Pittman is getting leaner and meaner and will patrol the middle. And Gary Johnson might be one of the best sophs in the nation. They're not going to rise much higher than their preseason #7ranking, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them post a good preseason record (despite it being pretty tough) and decent Big 12 record, netting for sure a single-digit seed in the dance, likely a 4 or 5. Go Horns. :wacko:

Just a few brief notes on my Horns... Kevin Durant is long gone. Now D.J. Augustin is gone. This Longhorn team is actually a bit similar to the football squad: no real "star", but a solid set of starters that will share the ball and win some games. A.J. Abrams will lead the squad as a senior, and the underrated Damion James could move to the national forefront. The massive Dexter Pittman is getting leaner and meaner and will patrol the middle. And Gary Johnson might be one of the best sophs in the nation. They're not going to rise much higher than their preseason #7ranking, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them post a good preseason record (despite it being pretty tough) and decent Big 12 record, netting for sure a single-digit seed in the dance, likely a 4 or 5. Go Horns. :wacko:

Abrams is one of my favorite players to watch. He and Stephon Curry have the best pure shooting form since JJ Redick.

Anything less than a national championship, and this season will be a failure.

:wacko:

I have to say, my expectations for this year are very, very, high. Not because I'm greedy or unreasonable, but this is this teams 3rd bite at the apple. We learned a hard lesson against GTown 2 years ago (and were inexperienced), took one on the chin last year (and were cocky). Show me a team with as much returning talent, and a great group of freshmen and a solid coach?

I just joined up with The Huddle but if there are people to talk NCAA basketball, I'm all for this site. It's tough to find a decent place to talk college basketball.

Welcome to the Huddle RockChalk! You got here a year late :wacko:

Welcome to the Huddle RockChalk! You got here a year late :wacko:

Noway!!!!!! I'm looking forward to this season more than I have in years. I can't stand years where fellow fans say "the season is a dissapointment unless we make the Final Four or win it all".

We have some young players that will be fun to watch and make me want to pull my hair out some nights too. Those are the most fun seasons.

I have to say, my expectations for this year are very, very, high. Not because I'm greedy or unreasonable, but this is this teams 3rd bite at the apple. We learned a hard lesson against GTown 2 years ago (and were inexperienced), took one on the chin last year (and were cocky). Show me a team with as much returning talent, and a great group of freshmen and a solid coach?

I can't, no one else can either. That's why you have no excuses. :wacko:

I feel bad for North Carolina fans this season. You will be expected to win every game and if you happen to lose one game then everyone will say "whats wrong with the Tar Heels?" It really takes all the fun out of the season since most games will be won by 30.

..........but then again it probably wasn't much fun watching a freshmen named Cole Aldrich who hadn't played all year put a clinic on Tyler Hansbrough in the Final Four either

Sorry dude, I had to say that!!!!

Welcome to the Huddle RockChalk.

Nice to finally see some chatter. I need to talk now as I don't think Duke is the #5 team. I think they'll be good but not great.

Typical preseason hype for Duke. They'll be alright.... but doubt they finish the regular season higher than #15, and they'll likely get bounced in the second round of the dance.

Typical preseason hype for Duke. They'll be alright.... but doubt they finish the regular season higher than #15, and they'll likely get bounced in the second round of the dance.

Normally I would agree since Duke doesn't have the top level talent that some other teams do. This year I have a really good feeling about them though. I think they will be strong all season and finish even better. I don't remember the freshmens name they got but he is a true big man so that should allow Singler to roam on the perimeter a little bit more which is his strength. Gerald Henderson should have a breakout year and Paulus is a solid PG no matter how many people hate him.

Normally I would agree since Duke doesn't have the top level talent that some other teams do. This year I have a really good feeling about them though. I think they will be strong all season and finish even better. I don't remember the freshmens name they got but he is a true big man so that should allow Singler to roam on the perimeter a little bit more which is his strength. Gerald Henderson should have a breakout year and Paulus is a solid PG no matter how many people hate him.

Miles Plumlee

# 21

Forward - F

Height: 6-10 Weight: 230

Freshman

You couldn't be more right about Damion James. I had front row seats at the Big 12 tourney last season in KC and watched all of the Horns games. In every game, even in the championship game against the Hawks, I thought he was the best athlete on the floor. Kid is a stud and certainly one of the reasons, justifiable I might add, for the Horns lofty preseason ranking.