[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

College Bball

Timmypg

Fair enough. Those were big wins for UM. The B10 will get some quality wins but the ACC and Big East will dominate this year, and of course beat the hell out of each other during the conference schedule, especially in the Big East. Can't see UNC losing more than a couple road games this year. Bottom line, all bets are off in March.

True. From what I've seen NC looks too good for anyone this season, and I could see them roll the ACC easily this season. UCONN will have more trouble going through the Big East. NC is flat out great !

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another bookmark here in early-ish December touting UT. I don't think they've discovered an offensive identity yet, but they are downright solid on defense.... and while I can't go so far as to say that "defense wins championships" in college hoops, it's definitely a factor. UT continues through a crazy non-conference schedule and their Big-12 season should be tough as all heck. If they reach 20 wins - which they will - I think they'll have to have the offensive moxie and defensive strength to make some serious noise in the tourney. A.J. Abrams is a stud-to-be in the NBA, and they have a host of underrated "role players". Don't sleep on this Longhorn squad. Like I said before the pre-season tipped off, this Longhorn hoops team could definitely mirror their football squad... one "semi-star" (Abrams / McCoy) leading a few solid performers (Mason, James, Atchley / Shipley, Cosby, Ogbannaya). Team first, y'all. :D:wacko:

Edited by darin3

UConn v UNC straight up.

Whomever goes furthest in the Big Dance. I'm open to using records as a tie break if they both go out in the same round but honestly think that would be a bit cheesy. Both these teams have one goal this year and that's cutting down the nets. Let me know how you want to handle that.

Because I pay wholesale, assume that you're getting a "nicer" bottle from me if I lose than I am from you if I win. It's only fair. Guessing about $30-$50 out of pocket cost to the loser and he gets to choose.

Let's assume that we're talking about a cool bottle and leave it at that.

That's pretty much right in line with what I was thinking.

I suspect that UCONN will end up with more losses simply because of the volume of tough teams that have to play in the BE. So that would hardly be fair. How about points scored in the loss as the tiebreaker should they exit in the same round?

That's pretty much right in line with what I was thinking.

I suspect that UCONN will end up with more losses simply because of the volume of tough teams that have to play in the BE. So that would hardly be fair. How about points scored in the loss as the tiebreaker should they exit in the same round?

If you'd like, but, to be honest, I don't think that's very fair to you. UNC fills the nets. Tell you what, how 'bout margin of loss in the elimination game.

If you'd like, but, to be honest, I don't think that's very fair to you. UNC fills the nets. Tell you what, how 'bout margin of loss in the elimination game.

That works for me.

Gonzaga put the hammer down on Washington State tonight. Can't wait for the Uconn game.

I didn't realize Gonzaga was ranked so high until tonight. I'm not up on college hoops like I usually am. I do know, though, that I don't like UT's ranking. They HAVE to slip up at some point, what... with their ridiculous preseason schedule and all... right? The Big-12 may be easier than I first though. Kansas lost everyone, and the "lower" B12 teams are really garbage. Oklahoma is solid, but I think UT can clamp down on Griffin or whatever his name is.

Fun season so far... gonna have to delve into the who's who here in the next week or so to get back up to speed.

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- A Syracuse University judicial hearing board has ruled that starting guard Eric Devendorf violated the Student Code of Conduct by allegedly hitting a female student in the face.

The board recommended that Devendorf, a 6-foot-4 junior, be suspended for the remainder of the academic year. He is expected to appeal the decision.

Gonzaga put the hammer down on Washington State tonight. Can't wait for the Uconn game.

I'm very apprehensive about this game for UCONN. They are currently on a 10 day break for exams and then they only have a warmup game against Stony Brook with another 5 day break before playing Gonzaga. Then they have to rtavel across country as the game is @ Gonzaga. Knowing this team, they have the very real potential to come out flat and play that way for the entire game.

I'm not making any exceuses, I'm just warning folks that the potential for a flop is there.

Arizona came out an punched the Zags in the mouth today, it was a great game.

Zags are legit - UA not so much - although it is a nice, much needed W for the Cats. Long, tough opening stretch for the Zags.

UA will do this all year long, get some quality W's and lose games they should win. Combine talented but dis-interested lazy players like Chase, J Hill with a former AAU coach and that is the result.

I see the Zags making a serious final four run.

They've been doing that for 25 years.

cmon- seriously? yer talking about one of the top oh 4-5 programs in the country under Lute Olsen.

They probably should have won another 1-2 NCAA titles- I will give you that, they probably slightly underachieved in the tournament - the Steve Kerr 2-14 final four game comes to mind- they were easily the best team that year and would have crushed Mannings Jayhawks.

overall behind probably Duke, UNC, Kansas and Kentucky as the top programs in basketball in the past 20 or so years.

cmon- seriously? yer talking about one of the top oh 4-5 programs in the country under Lute Olsen.

They probably should have won another 1-2 NCAA titles- I will give you that, they probably slightly underachieved in the tournament - the Steve Kerr 2-14 final four game comes to mind- they were easily the best team that year and would have crushed Mannings Jayhawks.

overall behind probably Duke, UNC, Kansas and Kentucky as the top programs in basketball in the past 20 or so years.

UCONN!!!

Kentucky has done squat in the last 10 years.

So, which below-mid-major will the Wildcats lose to in the first round this year? :wacko:

I ain't rippin' the program. It's what all teams should aspire to, but that particular sentence regarding this season's team is more or less what they do every year.

This year's team withstanding a bit perhaps, but you have to admit that they've always had a great collection of talent that stacks up with the best in the land, beats up on the best in the land, but never acts particularly hungry. Except for a two week period in '97 when Miles Simon stepped up and carried what really wasn't one of the better teams that Olsen ever had in Tucson.

It's not the only program you can say that about (Syracuse), but it's always been the most curious thing about them as a national power.

true true- but in the last 20 or so? they had a great run in the 90's. UCONN is in the mix no question about it -

ESPN did a ranking going back to 1984-85.

and it went :

DUKE

KU

UNC

KENT

UA

UCONN

UCLA

UNLV

SYR

GT

Yeah, they conveniently cut out Jordan, Worthy and Perkins...:wacko:

true true- but in the last 20 or so? they had a great run in the 90's. UCONN is in the mix no question about it -

ESPN did a ranking going back to 1984-85.

and it went :

DUKE

KU

UNC

KENT

UA

UCONN

UCLA

UNLV

SYR

GT

Sure, they had the same amount of national titles in that time period (2 each) but I forget, exactly why did Kentucky have to vacate the the SEC regular season and tournamnet title in '88?

Sure, they had the same amount of national titles in that time period (2 each) but I forget, exactly why did Kentucky have to vacate the the SEC regular season and tournamnet title in '88?

chit - they all cheat or have cheated at some point. You think Coach K, Calhoun or Lute built those programs without cheating?? :wacko:

I saw all the sick rides the players drove around Tucson, and Lute is considered on of the cleanest coaches anywhere.