[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Alabama

SLAYER

no one here is questioning there #1 ranking. Isn't this the place where if you play an easy schedule, mostly @ home, you get bashed about it. At least that was the case last year and earlier this year.

This team has played no one yet. their schedule as of now is ranked 80th out of 119. this could be the most over rated team to occupy the #1 spot yet.

Just saying

My rankings say they shouldn't be number one. However, they are listed as number two there. They must be doing something right. Oh yeah, as far as I can tell they're still undefeated too.

It was nice of you to point that out though. People jump all over Penn State for those very reasons but because 'Bama plays in the SEC they're given a pass.

Not sure where you got your sos rankings but the BCS computer rankings that openly include sos show the following:

Sagarin

Bama - 55

Tech - 64

State - 65

Anderson & Hester

Bama - 34

Tech - 40

State - 42

Colley Matrix

Bama - 59

State - 85

Tech - 95

Massey

Bama - 41

Tech - 55

State - 69

That's games played thus far. Biased or not, clearly they differ, they all have Bama ranked highest.

Not sure where you got your sos rankings but the BCS computer rankings that openly include sos show the following:

Sagarin

Bama - 55

Tech - 64

State - 65

Anderson & Hester

Bama - 34

Tech - 40

State - 42

Colley Matrix

Bama - 59

State - 85

Tech - 95

Massey

Bama - 41

Tech - 55

State - 69

That's games played thus far. Biased or not, clearly they differ, they all have Bama ranked highest.

Was just quoting what I read in an article yeterday. It said they had played the easiest schedule in the SEC and was ranked #80 out of 119 Div 1 schools. did not go and research it, just took it as fact. So sorry for starting a thread based on wrong info.

how shocking, an SEC team playing a cream puff non conference schedule.............

Penn St and Bama both had quality nc wins vs Clemson and Oregon State- other than that absolute cupcakes, as usual. Big difference obviously tho in the SEC vs Big 10 -Bama will have to prove it, toughies left especially the title game vs Florida

TT non conference is even worse- it was an absolute joke but the tough Big 12 South saves them a bit in SOS.

They will stumble vs OK St or @OKL

I think Bama has gotten a slight pass because everyone knows they have to play a conference title game (unlike Penn State). Who is ranked #1 right now is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. If Bama goes undefeated AND wins the SEC title, they are absolutely the #1 team in the country.

Was just quoting what I read in an article yeterday. It said they had played the easiest schedule in the SEC and was ranked #80 out of 119 Div 1 schools. did not go and research it, just took it as fact. So sorry for starting a thread based on wrong info.

No worries. Where you got it doesn't really make a difference, short of just making it up, I just wanted to add the actual reason Bama is ranked where they are. I think this is actually a good thread in terms of potential conversation.

Ive said many times Bama is over rated, and FLA will rock them in the SEC Champ game, and drop them to about 7th where they belong.

Tech will lose to OU in Norman, OU simply doesnt lose at home in the Stoops era. Something like 2 home loses in 10 years.

Which leaves us to Penn St. They will fall into the NC game, and dont deserve to be there over any team in the top 7 or 8 right now.

My prediction is UF puts up 50 on their defense and shuts them to 2 scores max.

I just wish OU had a shot at that fraud Big 10 punching bag.

I think Bama has gotten a slight pass because everyone knows they have to play a conference title game (unlike Penn State). Who is ranked #1 right now is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. If Bama goes undefeated AND wins the SEC title, they are absolutely the #1 team in the country.

Another mindless conference championship game reference. If Alabama is worth a sh|t then they should have no problem winning a conference game. And if it's that big of a deal then Alabama administrators should not deposit the massive check they will receive from simply having the conference championship game. Stop making it out to be more than it is.

Edited by GWPFFL BrianW

Another mindless conference championship game reference. If Alabama is worth a sh|t then they should have no problem winning a conference game. And if it's that big of a deal then Alabama administrators should not deposit the massive check they will receive from simply having the conference championship game. Stop making it out to be more than it is.

I feel the SEC decision to have a conference championship was not driven by the thought of making more money, but more to getting National exposure for their conference football teams. Prior to the SEC having a championship game there were many times that the SEC was overlooked when it came down to proclaiming a National Championship.

Granted it's a risk to have one of your best teams (potentially in NC contention) having to play an additional tough game at the end of the season, but looking past I would say it's been a HUGE plus for the SEC Conference in regard to winning national championships.

Seriously, you think the conference championship game doesn't make it more difficult for a team to stay on top? Having to play an extra game vs a very good opponent is a huge disadvantage. I definitely agree that the school involved will gladly take the check. The money part of the deal totally sucks. But try this scenario.....if Bama is #1 in the country going into the SEC title game and someone gave them the option of skipping that game, not getting paid, and going directly to the National Championship game, you don't think they would do that in a heart beat??

Regardless of whether you like it or not, or agree or not, it is a HUGH advantage for a team in the Big Ten to finish up conference play and sit back and watch these other teams knock each other off. Imagine if the AFC had a championship game but the NFC didn't and their best team went right to the Super Bowl? :wacko:

Seriously, you think the conference championship game doesn't make it more difficult for a team to stay on top? Having to play an extra game vs a very good opponent is a huge disadvantage. I definitely agree that the school involved will gladly take the check. The money part of the deal totally sucks. But try this scenario.....if Bama is #1 in the country going into the SEC title game and someone gave them the option of skipping that game, not getting paid, and going directly to the National Championship game, you don't think they would do that in a heart beat??

Regardless of whether you like it or not, or agree or not, it is a HUGH advantage for a team in the Big Ten to finish up conference play and sit back and watch these other teams knock each other off. Imagine if the AFC had a championship game but the NFC didn't and their best team went right to the Super Bowl? :wacko:

Yes but the history suggests it's been nothing but a BIG advantage. The last 3 national champions out of the SEC wouldn't have been national champions if that game DIDN'T exist. That's the reality. Having the extra game to win and impress voters, has been crucial for LSU in 07, Fla in 06, and LSU in 03'. And hell even if you lose the game, you still wind up in the BCS National title game, ask Oklahoma in 03'. So no, I don't think it's a disadvantage. And no, I don't think the people calling the shots at Alabama, or ANY school would pass up on a big pay day. I promise you, money is more important to the "Good ole' boys" then a national championship.

You make a valid point. It is only a disadvantage to a team if they are already ranked in the top 2 nationally. Any team that wouldn't otherwise be going to the nat'l championship, it can only help. And, if a team is in the top 2 already but wins the game, then it doesn't hurt either. No way to predict or guarantee a win, though.

I still disagree that they would elect to play a game that could knock them out of the #1 spot if they didn't have to. Winning a national championship creates far more wealth than the payout they would get for just playing in the SEC championship.

You make a valid point. It is only a disadvantage to a team if they are already ranked in the top 2 nationally. Any team that wouldn't otherwise be going to the nat'l championship, it can only help. And, if a team is in the top 2 already but wins the game, then it doesn't hurt either. No way to predict or guarantee a win, though.

I still disagree that they would elect to play a game that could knock them out of the #1 spot if they didn't have to. Winning a national championship creates far more wealth than the payout they would get for just playing in the SEC championship.

Well I'll say this. Championship games are very popular and very profitable. The ACC raided the Big East for a reason.

how shocking, an SEC team playing a cream puff non conference schedule.............

Penn St and Bama both had quality nc wins vs Clemson and Oregon State- other than that absolute cupcakes, as usual. Big difference obviously tho in the SEC vs Big 10 -Bama will have to prove it, toughies left especially the title game vs Florida

TT non conference is even worse- it was an absolute joke but the tough Big 12 South saves them a bit in SOS.

They will stumble vs OK St or @OKL

I don't think even the biggest TT fan could argue with you there.

I don't agree. If Tech beats OSU and OK and wins the Big 12 Championship, I feel they have earned the top spot handily over Alabama

If they win out, I don't see how they could be denied a spot in the NC game. It will be tough, but if they do it is well deserved.

I find I must disagree with this sentiment as I wish Alabama to make it undefeated and ranked #1 when they get to the SEC Championship game.

I appreciate where you are coming from, but this is personal.

It almost sounds like you have something against Saban.

As a Tiger Fan he is an unwelcomed visitor. LSU-Bama rivalry goes back to the days of Bear/Charlie Mac. The fact that "the devil" is there now just makes it that much more.