[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WS Top 10 wines of the year

twiley

Gotta love what Seghesio does across the board...for a wine produced in pretty high quantities they do a great job with all of their mass market Zinfandels. Great food wines. The Sonoma County has been top 100 a few years in a row now, glad to see they are cracking the top 10.

WashD

8) Château de Beaucastel - CDP 2005 - 96 points / $95

7) Château Pontet-Canet - Pauillac 2005 - 96 points / $100

I haven't tried the 05 Beaucastel yet (and just ordered the 07 today), but this was a pretty safe bet to show up.

The PC is a rockstar. Tried it at a distributor tasting and then couldn't purchase any...quite a tease.

4) Château Guiraud - Sauternes 2005 - 97 points / $57

I'm not surprised to see a Sauternes on here.

3) Quinta do Crasto - Douro Reserva Old Vines 2005 - 95 points / $40

I don't know the laws on the labeling of "Old Vines" in Portugal yet but I do know that anything over 7 years in Australia can have this title on their bottle and can be a bit misleading to the consumer. I'm sure this is not the case for the Quinta.

2) Château Rauzan-Ségla - Margaux 2005 - 97 points / $100

4) Château Guiraud - Sauternes 2005 - 97 points / $57

I'm not surprised to see a Sauternes on here.

3) Quinta do Crasto - Douro Reserva Old Vines 2005 - 95 points / $40

I don't know the laws on the labeling of "Old Vines" in Portugal yet but I do know that anything over 7 years in Australia can have this title on their bottle and can be a bit misleading to the consumer. I'm sure this is not the case for the Quinta.

2) Château Rauzan-Ségla - Margaux 2005 - 97 points / $100

I just hope #1 isn't the Don Melchor.

Well, not the Don Melchor, but still chilean....

#1 - Casa Lapostolle's Clos Apalta

Have heard some good things about it, but have never tried it. I wonder if there has ever been a #1 consisting of Carmenere before.

I've heard their juice is good, but have not been able to find the high end stuff yet. I did finally get my hands on their "bargain" brand Cab - average to good at best.

I'll have to see if I can find some. I do have some Don M though :wacko:

Well, not the Don Melchor, but still chilean....

#1 - Casa Lapostolle's Clos Apalta

Have heard some good things about it, but have never tried it. I wonder if there has ever been a #1 consisting of Carmenere before.

I used to sell it and have tried maybe 3 or 4 vintages. To be honest, I've never been blown away by it. Impressive juice to be sure but I always thought it lacked polish.