[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How is this economy effecting you?

pig devilz

My 401k is down significantly but that's not being touched for a while anyways. Not much. I was in the fortunate position of being broke before the economy took a dump so the impact's been minimal.

:wacko: I've been crowing to everyone that the big losers are the people who had anything saved up or invested--I'm just as broke as I was in March! :D

Peace

policy

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back problem. Haven't been able to go back to work since last december. Insurance company refussed payment for Mayo Clinic work due to what they say was a pre existing condition($10,000 bill(it's actually hereditary but they say I should have known).

No disability. No money. Living off savings. Trying to get learn a new trade, but there aren't many jobs here.

Otherwise everything's fine. :wacko:

It kicked my ass, but I am like a cockroach and will rise again.

Edited by NSab

While the economy isn't helping me today, as our family is cutting back on everything like he majority of Americans, my future wealth and retirement is about as bright as I could possibly imagine. My income is tied to our real estate hodlings (hotels), and we are fortunate that we have exceptionally investors with very deep pockets. We raised $300M after 9/11 to buy distressed hotels, and are in the process of doing the same for our next round of purchasing next year.

As was the case with residential real estate this past year, commerical real estate foreclosures will start to happen at an alarming rate next year. We are poised with a reserve of equity to cherry-pick the best opportunities, operate them for sevreal years, and sell at values significantly higher than our entry price.

So while our returns are depressed at the moment on what we currently own, the future opportunities over the next 12-18 months have us more excited than we have ever been. Ethically, I feel bad for being so upbeat about being in a position to take advantage of a time when so many are feeling real pain....i guess it is what it is.

Back problem. Haven't been able to go back to work since last december. Insurance company refussed payment for Mayo Clinic work due to what they say was a pre existing condition($10,000 bill(it's actually hereditary but they say I should have known).

No disability. No money. Living off savings. Trying to get learn a new trade, but there aren't many jobs here.

Otherwise everything's fine. :wacko:

Wow - sorry to hear that. I'm glad you had the foresight to build some savings.

Good luck.

At work, seems the CEO is nervous and has put a hiring freeze on (and I have lost 3 people since then). But we provide a service to the Mining Industry that increases Productivity, which makes us more valuable in bad times. So I'm pretty sure i'll stay employed....

Family-wise, not much of a difference

Just got a note from AMEX ... they're cutting the credit line on one of my CC's by 91% despite the fact that two of every three months, it gets paid in full. I guess they don't like getting the 4% processing fee for me running most all of my business expenses through that account. Presumably, Citibank would welcome those fees instead.

:wacko:

...still pretty pissed at AMEX...I've been a GREAT card holder for nearly 15 years...

I'm not a conservative, which you know. I've never voted for shrub, didn't vote for McSame either.

And I hate people who would take taxes from me at the point of a gun to make up for their own poor decisions in life.

How am I taking taxes from you? I get no public money. I said I am living off of savings. Do you not understand what that means?

Poor decisions? It is a genetic natrrowing of the spine called stenosis where the nerves are compressed by the bone. How did I decide that?

I'm not a conservative, which you know. I've never voted for shrub, didn't vote for McSame either.

And I hate people who would take taxes from me at the point of a gun to make up for their own poor decisions in life.

Wow. Way to stand your ground there WV. :wacko:

Just got a note from AMEX ... they're cutting the credit line on one of my CC's by 91% despite the fact that two of every three months, it gets paid in full. I guess they don't like getting the 4% processing fee for me running most all of my business expenses through that account. Presumably, Citibank would welcome those fees instead.

:wacko:

...still pretty pissed at AMEX...I've been a GREAT card holder for nearly 15 years...

whoa!...i thought i was the only one.

they did the same thing to me on one of my accounts and i've been a GREAT customer for

over 15 years!...pissed me off to. i thought it was because i paid my balance off in full

each month instead of using the extended pay option and putting money in there pocket.

cc companies are one of the shadiest gigs going....they can pretty much do whatever they want,

whenever they want. i've been fighting for cc reform for years....some of the blame, of course,

go's to the irresponsible card holders, but the deck is stacked against them and many don't even know it...

Poor decisions? It is a genetic narrowing of the spine called stenosis where the nerves are compressed by the bone. How did I decide that?

You don't decide it. I had the same thing (along with two destroyed disks) and had to have it cleared out at the same time as I had my lumbar fusion.

Then you aren't the kind of customer a CC company is looking for. :wacko:

Exactly. I pay mine off every month. Before using it, I calculate if I'll still be able to pay it off at month end and if I don't think I can, the purchase goes on hold. I'd have to compromise that for e.g. major auto repairs (or dip into savings) but in general, never leave a balance. The CC companies get enough money screwing the retailer without screwing me too.

Then you aren't the kind of customer a CC company is looking for. :wacko:

It still seems odd that they would dock a responsible members credit line. In fact, I would expect them to invite you to push it out, hoping you'd go deep enough that you might actually carry a balance every now and then and make them a little extra scratch. That would seem like exactly the type of customer you'd want with a big limit, one who's got a solid enough track record that they won't go nuts and end up in collections.

Certainly it's not in their best interest to drive a customer away by slashing their limit. Of course, this makes me wonder about our card. A few years ago, I was using it to buy tons of equipment and construction materials for the restaurants I was building. Running 10s of thousands per month through it and paying it off more than once a month just because I kept maxing out. They jacked up my limit right away. Now, we never sniff that limit anymore, so it wouldn't matter much. However, we still run a few K through it monthly and I'd be pissed if they cut mine by 90%, because that would be enough to be less than what we're putting on it each month.

My wife and I went to our favorite local burrito joint today and learned they're closing their doors next Saturday. :wacko:

Thankfully, the owners do not depend on the place for their income. Still, it's sad to see a community joint like that shut its doors.