[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BCS Discussion Thread

Rockerbraves

With 5 of the top teams coming from the SEC and Big12 the BCS NC game is shaping up to be a SEC vs. Big 12 showdown. :wacko:

1. Alabama - While the Tide may be in the driver's seat lose any game and they are in all probability out.

2. Texas Tech - Just win baby and you're in. Like Bama the Red Raiders are probably out if they lose a game too. However Tech's chances of withstanding a defeat are better than Alabama considering they could still could still make the BCS NC if things fall just perfect aka they lose to a highly ranked OK team, who then loses to their in-state rival Cowboys given them the conference tie-breaker. Although some would say that leaves the door open for USC.

3. Texas - Could be in trouble. 3rd might be the highest BCS rank they can get. Florida should leap them if they win out. OK will likely do the same if they beat Tech and the Cowboys. The truth is Texas losing out to either Tech or OK for the right to represent the South Division in the conference championship might not end the Longhorns hopes provided of course that the Big 12 North team wins the conference championship game or should I dare say we have an all Big 12 BCS NC re-match game.

4. Florida - Controls it's own destiny. Win out and they should be in. Of course it won't come easy. Before facing Bama the Gators travel to play one of the ACC's top teams Florida State in Tallahassee.

5. Oklahoma - Starting to think the Sooners will either enhance or repair their reputation as Choklahoma since it seems as though they control their own destiny. IMO beating Tech and then Oklahoma State will likely boost them slightly ahead of Texas in the BCS standings.

6. USC - Not looking good for the Trojans to make the big game, however there is still alot of football to be played. The Trojans will continue to root for the Buckeyes who keep their SOS respectable but tneed some help or bad fortune for the SEC leaders. One or both (Bama/FL) need to lose a regular season game or just one loses then beats the other in the conference championship game. Personally I think the Big 12 is pretty much a lock to get a team in unless of course Texas were to fall to say A&M while the Big 12 north team upsets the south representative thus the door bust open for USC versus SEC Champion.

7. Utah - Won't say they are dead considering they are relatively close to USC, but besides whipping BYU by 4 TD's or more they will need lots of huge upsets of the teams ahead of them & probably losses by both Penn State who they share votes with and Ohio State who props up USC SOS.

8. Penn State - Nice run but the Big 10 Nittany Lions are suffering from the backlash of the past two Buckeye whoopings in the BCS NC games.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were to guess today, I would say that Florida and OU make it. I think OU wins out and a win against Tech and Okie State should jump Texas. Both games scare me but I think OU should win. But I'm still a little gun shy considering our history lately losing big games.

As far as facing Florida, I think Florida wins that game more times than not. OU's defense appears to be getting better after the Reynolds injury. That injury hurt. Box is playing better and reading coverage more consistently. But our defense still worries me. But my biggest concern is our special teams. I've never seen a worse group. It's comical really. So unless that changes dramatically, I don't like our chances against Florida...given we get there.

There are still some very WILD finishes that could take place that would throw a new twist on things.........what if:

1) Bama gets beat by Auburn, then upsets UF in the SEC Champoinship game??

Do we still have an SEC school in the NC game?

Would we have a rematch of OU/UT/TT pick a combo?

Would SC get the other half of this?

OR.......what if:

2) Mizzou beats the Big 12 South champ?? remember K-State?

if it is OU they are out TT is out and Tex backs into the NC game (nice!)

If it is TT, then OU would be done, TT would be done, Tex could still back in without winning their conf.

If it is Tex, then Tex is done, TT is done and OU could be at one loss, no conference champ and back in

???????????????????

Everything points to Big 12 vs. SEC, but any of the above takes place and SC, Utah, and Boise will be yelling for a spot in that game!! Even worse, what if both happened!

If I were to guess today, I would say that Florida and OU make it. I think OU wins out and a win against Tech and Okie State should jump Texas. Both games scare me but I think OU should win. But I'm still a little gun shy considering our history lately losing big games.

Don't forget about Missouri. Firm believer had Texas had better scheduling they would be undefeated right now. Sooners have their work cut out for themselves if they hope to be crowned BCS National Champions. They will have to win 4 tough games in a row.

There are still some very WILD finishes that could take place that would throw a new twist on things.........what if:

???????????????????

Everything points to Big 12 vs. SEC, but any of the above takes place and SC, Utah, and Boise will be yelling for a spot in that game!! Even worse, what if both happened!

Would think USC should get the nod over a one loss Bama team or any two loss Big 12 team.

Don't forget about Missouri. Firm believer had Texas had better scheduling they would be undefeated right now. Sooners have their work cut out for themselves if they hope to be crowned BCS National Champions. They will have to win 4 tough games in a row.

It will be interesting to see what they do if OU wins out, they set precedence when TT beat UT and jumped to #2, will they stick with that logic or how much weight will the head to head game on a neutral site mean to who gets the higher BSC rank??

Your right, Chase Daniels could pull off the upset on any of the Big 3 in the South......time will tell. Not knowing how it will fall, i am not sure who to pull for in the OU/TT game as MU has a better chance against TT than OU...

OR.......what if:

If it is TT, then OU would be done, TT would be done, Tex could still back in without winning their conf.

If it is Tex, then Tex is done, TT is done and OU could be at one loss, no conference champ and back in

???????????????????

That wouldn't be worse, that would be glorious. It's not like the game is usually good anyway, so we're no worse off. It's not like everyone is ever happy with the two teams they pick, so again, what's the loss there.

It would only be, yet another landmine in this crappy system that they'd have to explain to an increasingly more annoyed public. Bring it on.

Tech would still only have one loss then. UT would too, but it would be to that same Tech team. That would be interesting to see how that would shake out.

Tech would still only have one loss then. UT would too, but it would be to that same Tech team. That would be interesting to see how that would shake out.

I think the late loss would hurt TT, but you are right, it would be interesting to see who would get in if that played out....it did not fair well for OU when KSU beat them, but I do not remember the how many losses everyone had that year.

I think the late loss would hurt TT, but you are right, it would be interesting to see who would get in if that played out....it did not fair well for OU when KSU beat them, but I do not remember the how many losses everyone had that year.

Um... OU didn't suffer at all from that loss. They were ranked #1 in the BCS going into the game, and.... #1 after the game. Go figure. So much for conference championship games being a burden eh?

As for the overall picture... my bet is Florida is gonna get through against Oklahoma or Texas. We'll know this Saturday how much love Oklahoma will get if they can beat Texas Tech. Will that lift them up enough to jump Texas in the BCS? Obviously OU has to get by OK State and then Mizzou as well, but by Sunday afternoon, you're gonna have a real clear picture of who can get through to the National Title game out of the Big 12.

As for Alabama and Florida... you would think they shouldn't have any problem, getting to the SEC Title game with no blemishes between now and then, but they each have tricky rivalry games. On paper that should be the game of the year, and the winner should have no problem destroying whatever soft Big 12 team comes out into the national championship game.

If Bama get beat by Auburn it'll all depend on how bad the polls punish them because their computer rankings will still likely be higher than USC's. If they don't get too hammered by the pollsters then a victory over the Gators could very well jump them back into contention. Bama's fate in this scenario comes down to the pollsters and their willingness to rank 2 Big XII teams high enough to play each other in the NC game.

OR.......what if:

???????????????????

Not necessarily. Tech can get to the CC game even with a loss to OU if OU then lose to OSU. With one loss going into the CC game, a loss there would obviously give them two and then yes they would definitely be done.

Um... OU didn't suffer at all from that loss. They were ranked #1 in the BCS going into the game, and.... #1 after the game. Go figure. So much for conference championship games being a burden eh?

As for the overall picture... my bet is Florida is gonna get through against Oklahoma or Texas. We'll know this Saturday how much love Oklahoma will get if they can beat Texas Tech. Will that lift them up enough to jump Texas in the BCS? Obviously OU has to get by OK State and then Mizzou as well, but by Sunday afternoon, you're gonna have a real clear picture of who can get through to the National Title game out of the Big 12.

As for Alabama and Florida... you would think they shouldn't have any problem, getting to the SEC Title game with no blemishes between now and then, but they each have tricky rivalry games. On paper that should be the game of the year, and the winner should have no problem destroying whatever soft Big 12 team comes out into the national championship game.

So you think that if OU don't jump Texas with a win over Tech then they're done regardless of a possible victory over Okie St?

So you think that if OU don't jump Texas with a win over Tech then they're done regardless of a possible victory over Okie St?

It would have to come from the computers. And you're adding a loss to Oklahoma States record. So really, all you'd be doing is dragging down yourself and Texas. We'll have to see. Ultimately it's going to come down to the human voters. Alabama is #1 in the Polls, Texas Tech is #1 in the Computers, Alabama is #1 overall, because the humans make up 2/3rds of the formula. Do the voters lift Oklahoma high enough with a win over Texas Tech? They would have to lift them all the way up to #2. I could be wrong, but even with the same losses right now, and Oklahoma with a tougher non conference scehdule than the Horns, computers still have Texas up 110 percentage points. That is mostly because of the head to head win over Oklahoma, which isn't going away, and it certainly won't go away in the eyes of the pollsters.

It would have to come from the computers. And you're adding a loss to Oklahoma States record. So really, all you'd be doing is dragging down yourself and Texas. We'll have to see. Ultimately it's going to come down to the human voters. Alabama is #1 in the Polls, Texas Tech is #1 in the Computers, Alabama is #1 overall, because the humans make up 2/3rds of the formula. Do the voters lift Oklahoma high enough with a win over Texas Tech? They would have to lift them all the way up to #2. I could be wrong, but even with the same losses right now, and Oklahoma with a tougher non conference scehdule than the Horns, computers still have Texas up 110 percentage points. That is mostly because of the head to head win over Oklahoma, which isn't going away, and it certainly won't go away in the eyes of the pollsters.

I think it's a bit of stretch myself but OK St(ranked team) is currently figured in to UT's comp rankings but not in OU's. The Sooners comp rankings go up dramatically the next two weeks.

As for Alabama and Florida... you would think they shouldn't have any problem, getting to the SEC Title game with no blemishes between now and then, but they each have tricky rivalry games.

I would say that the UT vs A&M and OU vs Okie State are just as big as far as rivalry games go. Even if they don't have as much to play for for their team, A&M and OSU would just love to end their season by destroying their NC hopes.

I think it's a bit of stretch myself but OK St(ranked team) is currently figured in to UT's comp rankings but not in OU's. The Sooners comp rankings go up dramatically the next two weeks.

Right, I'm just saying that if OU beats OK State, it puts another L in OK States record, so the lift won't be as high for OU. It might be high enough, I just don't think it will happen that way.

Right, I'm just saying that if OU beats OK State, it puts another L in OK States record, so the lift won't be as high for OU. It might be high enough, I just don't think it will happen that way.

Probably not. Just entertaining the possibility.

can honestly say I have a feeling this years NC game will have us feeling less than satisfied- and I am not looking that forward to it at this point.

I mean, what is it going to tell us exactly..........

let's say OU wins out and jumps Texas and FLA wins out, in a tight game with Bama setting upt FLA vs OU for all the marbles...... really?

that would leave us with.......

Bama with a potential tough L to the #1 team in the country

Texas - 1L on the road on a last second play - and a W vs a team in the NC game...... are you kidding me

TT -

USC - 1L to the potential Pac 10 champion, that seems LONG AGO and playing as well as anyones with clearly the best defense in the country

then throw in good ole Penn State who would be less than enthused to have 1L and having to play Oregon State AGAIN........

8 Team PlaYoff - FLA, Bama, OU, UT, USC, TT, PSU, Utah - BAM

just a freaking mess - the system is so broken it is a disgrace

I am almost to the point of not giving a chit anymore- which sucks bc I love college football

and all the BCS NC game is going to do is piss me off even more

Edited by wildcat2334

. Go figure. So much for conference championship games being a burden eh?

Define burden

Does it risk another loss and a drop in the polls? YES

Does it risk another game and potentil injury to a starter? YES

Do all conferences share this burden?.............................NO

Could it hoist a team past an idle conf champ not playing?.......YES

= No Risk, No Reward

And what people fail to say is OU led the Texas game for 3 and a half quarters. Texas went up by 3 with 6 minutes to go. OU sold out to get the ball back, and Texas had a huge play set them up inside the OU 10, and scored 2 plays later. The final score is no indication of how close that game was, and really how OU dominated Texas the whole first half, yet only led 21-20. OU could easily be undefeated right now, so could Texas, losing like that to Tech.

More of this mess gets sorted out this Saturday.

And Id put my moneyon all 4 Big 12 south schools and Missouri against Bama. If some how Bama gets to the NC game, it will be a blowout.

Edited by Sgt Ryan

And what people fail to say is OU led the Texas game for 3 and a half quarters. Texas went up by 3 with 6 minutes to go. OU sold out to get the ball back, and Texas had a huge play set them up inside the OU 10, and scored 2 plays later. The final score is no indication of how close that game was, and really how OU dominated Texas the whole first half, yet only led 21-20. OU could easily be undefeated right now, so could Texas, losing like that to Tech.

More of this mess gets sorted out this Saturday.

And Id put my moneyon all 4 Big 12 south schools and Missouri against Bama. If some how Bama gets to the NC game, it will be a blowout.

just stop. please. we get it

quit yer whiny, girlie bitching gdayum. UT beat OU - period.end of story. No on gives a rip.

unfortunately yer Sooners have a chance to prove it on the field- they win out, they have an excellent shot at the NC game -

ur selling Bama short - Mizzou is a joke and to be frank, I am more concerned about the WAC-ked up teams out of the Big 12 than

Bama, FLA, USC who would all DOMINATE the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball against anyone from the Big 12 -

besides OU playing Cincy and TCU the little backwater 12 is about as incestous as it gets in 2008 - they played no one outside the conference.

No reward? Don't think the last 3 SEC teams that have won National Titles would think so. So in other words, is the burden the conference with one, or without one? You tell me. Seems that the ones that always benefit from HAVING them are the ones pissing and moaning like you. Look at Florida this year, they will likely get in, BECAUSE they have a conference championship to win. And if you can find me a team that lost their conference championship and actually proved they deserved to play in the big game since the BCS started, then I might concede this point to you, but in 10 years, I can't find a single one, other than MAYBE Tennessee in 2001, who would've gotten destroyed by a great Miami team anyway.