[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BCS Discussion Thread

Rockerbraves

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is how I predict the BCS ranking will come out. OU could jump Texas next week with a big road win over the Cowboys.

1. Bama

2. Texas

3. Florida

4. OU

5. USC

6. Utah

7. Penn State

8. Texas Tech - officially out since Utah and Penn St are finished.

Tech isnt out of anything yet. OU loses to Okie St, then Tech goes to the Big 12 Champ game, and if they win that game, they will surely jump Utah and Penn St. There is an article on ESPN.com which shows how one upset (Okie St over OU )can put Tech right back in the NC picture.

Tech isnt out of anything yet. OU loses to Okie St, then Tech goes to the Big 12 Champ game, and if they win that game, they will surely jump Utah and Penn St. There is an article on ESPN.com which shows how one upset (Okie St over OU )can put Tech right back in the NC picture.

Read the article just don't agree with it.

Got a question for you Sarge. As a Sooner fan do you have any concern what so ever that Harris voters can be bought by Texas boosters?

Lets not forget, Mack Brown laid out the template for how coaches can become politicians when it comes to end of the season campaigning.

Hmmm...$$$$ :wacko:

In 2004, the Bears posted a 10-2 record under Tedford and quarterback Aaron Rodgers, with their only regular season loss coming against the eventual national champion, USC. California finished the regular season ranked No. 4 according to polls, and appeared to have an excellent chance to receive an at-large BCS bowl berth, most likely in the Rose Bowl. However, in a controversial case, the Texas Longhorns coach Mack Brown made impassioned pleas to media asking poll voters reconsider their final votes. 10-1 Cal was mysteriously rated as low as 7th by some coaches, and Texas received an increase in votes in the last Coaches Poll of the season despite Cal's win in their final game, allowing the Longhorns to pass the Bears into the No. 4 spot in the BCS rankings and guaranteeing Texas the BCS berth.

Hmmm...$$$$ :wacko:

In 2004, the Bears posted a 10-2 record under Tedford and quarterback Aaron Rodgers, with their only regular season loss coming against the eventual national champion, USC. California finished the regular season ranked No. 4 according to polls, and appeared to have an excellent chance to receive an at-large BCS bowl berth, most likely in the Rose Bowl. However, in a controversial case, the Texas Longhorns coach Mack Brown made impassioned pleas to media asking poll voters reconsider their final votes. 10-1 Cal was mysteriously rated as low as 7th by some coaches, and Texas received an increase in votes in the last Coaches Poll of the season despite Cal's win in their final game, allowing the Longhorns to pass the Bears into the No. 4 spot in the BCS rankings and guaranteeing Texas the BCS berth.

And Cal went on to get crushed by the #4 seed in the Big 12, Texas Tech and UT won the Rose bowl over Michigan. Hmm. in this case I think they corrected whatever problem was there. BTW, Texas only loss that yr was to OU, who also played in that NC game, and was undefeated, so before the game, there could have been a case made for either team, and Texas proved after the fact, the right decision was made. I just hope the same logic about the right team going to the Big 12 Champ game happens here. :D

And Cal went on to get crushed by the #4 seed in the Big 12, Texas Tech and UT won the Rose bowl over Michigan. Hmm. in this case I think they corrected whatever problem was there. BTW, Texas only loss that yr was to OU, who also played in that NC game, and was undefeated, so before the game, there could have been a case made for either team, and Texas proved after the fact, the right decision was made. I just hope the same logic about the right team going to the Big 12 Champ game happens here. :wacko:

that is a perfek example of why most of the bowls are a joke- Cal got screwed, and their motivation was out the freaking window. It happens all the time in bowl games- the team that is pumped to be there ends up beating the better team that could care less and feels like they got effed out of a major bowl.

Doesn't mean chit

the more wacked out chit you spew makes me throw a dip in and hop on the Mike Gandy bandwagon GO COWBOYS

that is a perfek example of why most of the bowls are a joke- Cal got screwed, and their motivation was out the freaking window. It happens all the time in bowl games- the team that is pumped to be there ends up beating the better team that could care less and feels like they got effed out of a major bowl.

Doesn't mean chit

I somewhat tend to agree with you on this wildcat, same thing happened to K-State when Micheal Bishop was at QB for them when they lost the Big 12 championship game to A&M (1998), They were undefeated going into that game and pretty much handled everone on their schedule that year, most victories were blowouts. If I remember correctly K State was still ranked #4 after losing the championship game and did not get into a BCS game and K-State went plum F***EN crazy, as they had 1 loss and some two loss teams went to BCS bowls. There were talks that K-state would boycot and say to hell with their bowl game, which was the Alamo bowl where they lost to a 8-4 (pre alamo bowl) Purdue team.

Heres the break down from that year if you care:

In the first year of the Bowl Championship Series, Kansas State, Tennessee, and UCLA entered the final weekend of the regular season undefeated, but Kansas State lost to Texas A&M in the Big 12 championship game, and UCLA lost at Miami, creating a classic Tennessee-Florida State matchup for the national championship in the Fiesta Bowl. Tennessee emerged with the victory.

The Automatic-Qualifying Conference Champions (PRE BOWL RECORDS HERE)

Atlantic Coast: Florida State (11-1)

Big East: Syracuse (8-3)

Big Ten: Wisconsin (10-1)

Big 12: Texas A&M (11-2)

Pac-10: UCLA (10-1)

Southeastern: Tennessee (12-0)

Other Participants

Florida (9-2) Ohio State (10-1)

The Matchups

Fiesta Bowl: (1) Tennessee 23, (2) Florida State 16

Orange Bowl: (8) Florida 31, (15) Syracuse 10

Sugar Bowl: (4) Ohio State 24, (6) Texas A&M 14

Rose Bowl: (9) Wisconsin 38, (5) UCLA 31

So in the BCS year ONE, it was as :wacko: JACKED UP as it is now. FSU's one loss was early to NC state @ NC State, and it wasn even close, NC state was 7-4 (all pre bowl records) UCLA's one loss was to UM in Miami, UM was 8-3, Wisc's one loss was to Mich in Ann Arbor, Mich was 9-3, OSU's one loss was to Mich State at Columbus, MSU was 6-6, and K-State was 11-1 their 1 loss to A&M, 11-2, in St Louis, MO. The ACC did not have a championship game at the time and GA Tech and FSU were co-champs that year, but FSU got the nod for the automatic bid due to the H2H win over Tech. So IMO FSU didnt even belong as their loss was to a lesser team no matter at home or on the road. So in year one of the BCS K-state gets screwed out of a shot at the NC and doesnt even get a BCS bowl, WHAT A SYSTEM WE HAVE!!!!!! So yeah I do agree that there is a big let down when you get screwed out of something that you deserve........

And just in case anyone is wondering where I get these stats heres a great site: stats

Edited by LiL10(s)ArEaJoKe

son, I can feel your pain- that is one helluva post - gawd bless you :wacko:

no question -it happens all the time, and it is just one more reason why I hate these lesser tier bowl games. I put more stock into a quality W in the regular season than these lower bowl victories teams love to reference later on.

Bill Snyder is in da house!!!

Doesn't mean chit

the more wacked out chit you spew makes me throw a dip in and hop on the Mike Gandy bandwagon GO COWBOYS

C'mon bro, thats a total cop out. No on thinks we are a championship team, so we will go out and half ass it, that'll show em. Cal got smoked that game, plain and simple.

C'mon bro, thats a total cop out. No on thinks we are a championship team, so we will go out and half ass it, that'll show em. Cal got smoked that game, plain and simple.

Zia, I don't think he ever said they went out and half assed it. When you have played a season that warrants a BCS berth and you get screwed out of it, your motivation factor is probaly about 10% of what it would be if you were where you SHOULD be. You know as a Techie, and I myself like Tech only 2nd to OU (born in OKC) raise in Lubbock and DFW, so I am a Big 12 homer and was delighted that Tech took care of Cal, but IMO that was Tech's best effort while Cal was still feeling the after affects of getting kicked in the nuts by the BS system we STILL have.

Funny how when teams lose bowl games, bowls are meaningless, but when they win, fans point to them as end all be all. I think bowls are important, and I agree, it is a cop out to say that the only reason you lose a bowl game is because you were let down you didnt get in a better one.The fact is in 1998 the Big 12 and Kansas State weren't that great to begin with. If you look at who they beat, it wasn't that impressive. Ohio State slept walked through the Sugar Bowl vs TAMU and still won by 10 probably playing their worst game of the year (besides the inexscusable loss to Sparty). You also may remember Nebraska that year and getting thumped by Arizona in their bowl game.

Regular season or bowl, great (read: well coached) teams should not get blown out, in any game, period. USC's worst loss since St. Pete's arrival was by 11 to ND in Carroll's first year, his worst team. Since then, 7 is the biggest loss margin.

I don't see it. Not with only one upset anyway. Tech doesn't have enough quality on their remaining schedule(including B12 CG) to overcome the thrashing they took last week. They're sitting at 7, ahead of Penn St already by the way, right now. One of either Bama or Florida would have to be upset prior to the SEC CG in order to eliminate the SEC from the picture and that still may not do it if the upset team loses the CG. I believe Texas will remain more highly ranked barring an upset to A&M. Should they is another issue entirely. And USC will more than likely stay slightly ahead of them as well.

Even if they do jump USC and Utah by virtue of their own wins they'd still likely need at least one and probably two more upsets to take place.

Texas did their job last night. Now what does Oklahoma have to do score wise vs. the Cowboys this Saturday to overtake the Longhorns in the BCS rankings? :wacko:

Hard to imagine that a single digit winning margin will be enough.

yer joking right.........

OU is playing the #12 team in the country on the road - I expect OU to roll, but coming out of a W is more impressive than Texas taking care of an absolutely horrible A&M squad OU gets the W, they jump Texas in the computers and in the BCS

OU is playing the #12 team in the country on the road - I expect OU to roll, but coming out of a W is more impressive than Texas taking care of an absolutely horrible A&M squad OU gets the W, they jump Texas in the computers and in the BCS

Agree here that an OU win should get them what they need, unless they play a very sloppy game with many turnovers and allow OSU to post a bunch of points. I do not see that happening as they are very well coached, but there is a chance. I think the higher BSC rank will come down to three main things:

OU vs. Tex.....nod goes to Texas

OU/TX vs. Tech....nod goes to OU

OU/TX vs. OSU....Texas won by 4, but did not dominate, OU needs to win by 5-7 to get the edge here.

Lot of people were able to watch that game so it should help Texas in the human polls which might be enough to offset the computer rankings.

Thought I read somewhere that Coach Brown has a vote in the coaches poll while Stoops doesn't. Some have speculated that if Coach Brown wanted to he could decide not to even rank the Sooners thus giving a big edge to his team. Also heard he could get away with it because the coaches poll is a secret ballot except the last one of the season which would be too late for Sooners anyway. :wacko:

Lot of people were able to watch that game so it should help Texas in the human polls which might be enough to offset the computer rankings.

Thought I read somewhere that Coach Brown has a vote in the coaches poll while Stoops doesn't. Some have speculated that if Coach Brown wanted to he could decide not to even rank the Sooners thus giving a big edge to his team. Also heard he could get away with it because the coaches poll is a secret ballot except the last one of the season which would be too late for Sooners anyway. :wacko:

Brown is just sneaky enough to do this. But I dont think it will matter. OU has the stage last, and that game will be the last thing OU wins over #12 OSU on the road.

Brown is just sneaky enough to do this. But I dont think it will matter. OU has the stage last, and that game will be the last thing OU wins over #12 OSU on the road.

:wacko: Typical Sarge, giving his beloved Sooners an out just in case things don't go his way. But yeah, it won't matter. OU should take care of OSU.

And yeah, for some reason, Stoops is no longer a Harris pollster (he had been the previous two seasons). Maybe it was him that was being too "sneaky". :D

God I hope that happens and then it somehow gets figured out and exposed. That would be outstanding! Just one more thing to show what a crock this whole mess is.