[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What are you listening to these days?

The Irish Doggy

2 purchases over the weekend from iTunes and both are recommended here.

The Avett Brothers - "I And Love And You"

and

The Old 97's - "The Grande Theatre, Volume 1"

Both are in that folk rock, alt-country/americana genre - I'm assuming neither of these are new to any of you, but I am enjoying these productions listed above.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been listening to Jace Everett, the guy that sings the "Bad Things" intro on True Blood. I went to I-tunes to get Bad Things, because I wanted to make it a ring tone, but found that I liked most of his stuff. Some of my favorites are:

I've Got To Have It

Half Of My Mistakes

Between A Father And A Son

I've also been listening to Robert Stowell's version of "G.R.I.T.S."

New Cage The Elephant and I am still stuck on Mumford and Son's. Also, the newer MGMT cd is very solid.

the new Cage the Elephant is pretty solid.

the Wench and I have been listening a bunch to the John Butler Trio, the Fratellis and the Decemberist lately as well - all good stuff.

2 purchases over the weekend from iTunes and both are recommended here.

The Avett Brothers - "I And Love And You"

and

The Old 97's - "The Grande Theatre, Volume 1"

Both are in that folk rock, alt-country/americana genre - I'm assuming neither of these are new to any of you, but I am enjoying these productions listed above.

the newer MGMT cd is very solid.

:wacko: and :tup: and :lol:

I've been listening to the Jenny and Johnny CD as well as the Fate Lions. For some reason SOD - Speak English or Die has heavy rotation lately.

On a sort-of related note, I am trying to complie a playlist of the the Rolling Stones doing country style tunes like "Sweet Virginia" which is a song I am currently obesssed with. Any suggestions where to start? I don't have time to one-by-one their catalog. Thanks.

On a sort-of related note, I am trying to complie a playlist of the the Rolling Stones doing country style tunes like "Sweet Virginia" which is a song I am currently obesssed with. Any suggestions where to start? I don't have time to one-by-one their catalog. Thanks.

A couple that I think may be what you are looking for:

Some Things Just Stick In Your Mind (1964)

Country Honk (1969)

Far Away Eyes (1978)

There are a few more that are country "influenced" but not sure that is what you want.

You do know that Honky Tonk Women was based on Honky Tonk Blues by Hank Williams right?

A couple that I think may be what you are looking for:

Some Things Just Stick In Your Mind (1964)

Country Honk (1969)

Far Away Eyes (1978)

There are a few more that are country "influenced" but not sure that is what you want.

You do know that Honky Tonk Women was based on Honky Tonk Blues by Hank Williams right?

Some things Just Stick In Your Mind is already in there. I'll check out the other two. I had no idea Honky Tonk Women was inspired by Hank WIlliams despite the fact that it is completely obvious once pointed out. :highfive: good one.

gil, if you like the Avette Brothers, you might check out a couple of local DFW bands - The Naptime Shake and the O's. I think the O's are probably getting pretty decent radio time (they are on the greatness that is KXT) so you may have already heard them. I've heard neither in car commercials yet.

Anyone else notice a lot of bands they like in car commercials recently? It's freaking me out.

Apparently Arcade Fire has a new album. Anyone heard it yet?

The Suburbs

Came out a couple weeks ago. It's okay.

I definitely dig it. I think it is more consistently awesome than "Neon Bible", but honestly love all their stuff.

Word to our thread, BTW.

I wouldn't call it ablum of the year unless it were being compared to it's competition. It was probably a top 10 for me and purchased mainly because if it can get an "OK" from sky and an "I dig it" from splotch that's something usually worth 5 minutes of my time on itunes.

:wacko: to my favorite thread ever.

Maybe we will have an Atomic sighting to review the new radiohead?

gil, if you like the Avette Brothers, you might check out a couple of local DFW bands - The Naptime Shake and the O's. I think the O's are probably getting pretty decent radio time (they are on the greatness that is KXT) so you may have already heard them. I've heard neither in car commercials yet.

Anyone else notice a lot of bands they like in car commercials recently? It's freaking me out.

Thanks Club - will check them out.

I've noticed that as well, not just car commercials.

I've been listening to the Jenny and Johnny CD as well as the Fate Lions. For some reason SOD - Speak English or Die has heavy rotation lately.

anything from Exile on Main Street to Some Girls (and all the albums in between) see, I told you they weren't just a rock n roll band. lol

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

Dead Flowers is one of my favorite Stones song and it is countrified.

Maybe we will have an Atomic sighting to review the new radiohead?

With Atomic in semi-retirement, I'll take a whack at it and try to keep it short.

I'd say the new Radiohead album has a compositional style close to In Rainbows, but the sonic color palate of Amnesiac. Sounds awesome, right? Problem is it's not doing what a RH album usually does. Here's what usually happens with a new RH release: You listen the first time and think "This isn't as good as (insert previous album title)". Then after a few listens it turns out it really is as good. Then after a few more listenings you wonder if it's their best album yet.

I've been listening to King of Limbs for about a week now, and while I think it's a VERY solid album, it's not taking that 2nd and 3rd step for me. It's a bit mono-chromatic, and not as rich in original musical ideas as I'm used to from them. For example, the song "Lotus Flower" is the first "single" from the album and I'm not really sure why over any other song.

The one song that's popping out at me is "Give Up the Ghost", which I'm finding really gorgeously textured. The interplay between acoustic guitar, lead vocals, backing vocals, and effects really grabs me the way "Nude" does off of In Rainbows.

I tried to keep it short. . .sorry.

Listening right now to Argus by Wishbone Ash. Next year, this album will be 40 years old.

If you like guitar, listen to this. It is simply stunning, perhaps the best prog rock album ever. The guitars (yes, two of them) are as good or better as any you've ever heard. Music doesn't come any better than this.

Edited by Ursa Majoris