[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What are you listening to these days?

The Irish Doggy

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was 18, a friend insisted we go to the Brighton Bar down at the shore and see this band called Helmet. They had just released Strap It On. We were trying so hard to grow our hair long and look like dirtbags. Then out come these 4 guys with crew cuts looking like Neo-Nazis. There must have been 35 people in the bar and they blew us through the back wall. One of the maybe 5 best shows I've ever seen.

I'm jealous. They played a free show at SXSW last year and I couldn't manage to get to it. If they play here again in March for SXSW '09 I won't make that mistake again.

:D Pretty close to my reaction, aside from the "seeing them live" part.

I saw the video for "In the Meantime" in which you don't really get a good look at the guys, and I'm thinking "Man, these dudes sound like hairy-knuckled, bare chested guys who eat lightning and crap thunder."

Then "Unsung" came out and the band appeared to have put the Dartmouth men's tennis team in the video for some reason. :D

:D Let me see if I can scrounge up Beavis and Butthead's reaction to that video....

Edit: Can't find it on YouTube. But they basically had the same reaction. The requisite "YES!" when the tune starts, them :wacko::D headbangin'.... then they're quiet for a few seconds and Butthead says "uhhhhhh... these guys... these guys are like.. regular guys". Beavis responds "yeah yeah... they're like... you'd go up to them in a bar and would go 'hey guys, how's it goin? wanna have a heineken?'".... :D

Edited by darin3

I'm jealous. They played a free show at SXSW last year and I couldn't manage to get to it. If they play here again in March for SXSW '09 I won't make that mistake again.

I actually saw Helmet live 4 times. In between Strap It On and Meantime we saw them at the Brighton Bar with 35 people, then at J.C. Dobbs in Philly (RIP) with about 50 people in the room. Then after Meantime we saw them twice at the Tower Theater. The second time there were a few thousand people in the crowd, and I remember turning to the drummer of my band and saying "I don't think we can see them live again. They're not our band anymore. . .they're everyone's". And I didn't even buy Betty when it came out.

Sigh.

I actually saw Helmet live 4 times. In between Strap It On and Meantime we saw them at the Brighton Bar with 35 people, then at J.C. Dobbs in Philly (RIP) with about 50 people in the room. Then after Meantime we saw them twice at the Tower Theater. The second time there were a few thousand people in the crowd, and I remember turning to the drummer of my band and saying "I don't think we can see them live again. They're not our band anymore. . .they're everyone's". And I didn't even buy Betty when it came out.

Sigh.

One of the best shows I've ever been to was Jawbox > Clutch > Helmet at the old 9:30 Club.

I listen to all sorts of weird crap but that made me :D ... sorta cool video but.... :wacko: I dunno, maybe I'm getting old.

:D Played it for my mom this weekend and she liked it so I dont think it is age prohibitive. Proly should have linked the studio version. It's a little more full sounding and the dudes voice is a little toned down.

Sigh.

No offense, but I think this is mega-lame. So, you can't like a band once they've become popular? I get it that after several "mega studio" productions, certain bands can get stale ... but I've always found this line of thinking to be petty. Don't you want bands that you enjoy to become popular and make money for doing what they love? Turning away from them once they've hit it big? :wacko: Alrighty then.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody ever heard of a band called ViV? They popped up on that itunes genius the other day. I don't think they are around anymore. That's too bad. Found them on itunes and at the old reliable CDBaby.com and that's about it.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/viv2

Some good stuff in this thread.

:wacko:

Not quite like that...

Have I mentioned Built To Spill?

These guys really impress me with their catchy songs with jam band elements... kind of like Modest Mouse.

Yeah I've heard some Octopus Project. Pretty nifty.

I just got giddy when you said "light sticks" and had to post that. Digweed is my favorite and that movie - Groove - was pretty good. :wacko:

No offense, but I think this is mega-lame. So, you can't like a band once they've become popular? I get it that after several "mega studio" productions, certain bands can get stale ... but I've always found this line of thinking to be petty. Don't you want bands that you enjoy to become popular and make money for doing what they love? Turning away from them once they've hit it big? :wacko: Alrighty then.

Seeing a kick-ass band in a bar with 20 people where you can see every chord the guitarist is playing is awesome.

Seeing a kick-ass band in an arena where you need binoculars to know if the original members are still in the band is mega-lame, no matter how kick-ass the band is.

Seeing a kick-ass band in a bar with 20 people where you can see every chord the guitarist is playing is awesome.

Seeing a kick-ass band in an arena where you need binoculars to know if the original members are still in the band is mega-lame, no matter how kick-ass the band is.

w-a-c-k

I grew up in Seattle, so a ton of unreal bands in small venues - alot of them before they hit it big.

NEVER once was I too cool to go check them out in a big arena.

Not as awesome, but if you dig the band you dig the band -

you remind me of some friends who's bands never made it that were all wannabe hipsters and got off the bandwagon once a band got popular