[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What are you listening to these days?

The Irish Doggy

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last few things I've picked up...most of them aren't really very "new" as far as when they were recorded, but...

The Bad Plus - These are the Vistas - pretty good piano trio I've been hearing about for a while (including from someone on the huddle, alexg maybe?). the pianist isn't great technically but he's got a pretty unique voice. I'll probably check out some more of their albums.

The Band - Music From Big Pink - one of those classic rock albums I always just took for granted and never actually sat down and listened to. polk's linking to richard manuel's phenomenal live performance of "I shall be released" spurred this purchase.

Neil Young - After the Goldrush - I used to have this on CDR and couldn't find it anywhere, so I just bought the download and have been listening to it a lot lately. what a great album.

Miles Davis - Complete Jack Johnson Sessions - wow. this music f'king kills. john mclaughlin at his most badass any time ever on record.

Joby Burgess - Electric Counterpoint - Kraftwerk - bought this because it's a new recording of one of my favorite contemporary "classical" pieces, electric counterpoint by steve reich. it's basically synth percussion with samples and stuff playing that piece and some stuff by kraftwerk. it's pretty good.

El Ten Eleven - checked these guys out after atomic kept talking about them, as they sounded like something I might dig. and I do. they kind of remind me of tortoise, but not quite as interesting. speaking of which...

Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die - this is good schit. it works in a sort of mediocre way as background music, but it really rewards a very serious listen.

Town and Country - 5 - one more in that tortoise instrumental post-rock jazz whatever vein. more good stuff.

Q-tip - Kamaal the Abstract - yeah, the guy from tribe called quest. apparently this album was never released by the label, because they didn't know how to pidgeonhole and market it. but you can find it for download out there on the innernets. it's got a lot of guitar for a hip-hop record. pretty cool and interesting.

As others have said, Kings Of Leon. If you havent picked up their older stuff do so, Youth and Young Manhood may be my favorite out of their collection. Holy Roller NovSPAMn has an old school Johnny Cash feel to it.

El Ten Eleven - checked these guys out after atomic kept talking about them, as they sounded like something I might dig. and I do. they kind of remind me of tortoise, but not quite as interesting. speaking of which...

Secretly, Az loves me.

And I agree that they are only above average on their musical interestingness. Not awesome.

But their pop-catchiness and absolutely amazing live performance put them over the edge for me. I've never ever seen 2 guys rock harder.

Neil Young - After the Goldrush - I used to have this on CDR and couldn't find it anywhere, so I just bought the download and have been listening to it a lot lately. what a great album.

Probably my favorite Neil Young album. This is the album that I learned to play guitar from.

A couple of bands I'm starting to dive deeper into over the past few months are Spoon and The Shins.

Who's the lead singer? Grits?

I've been liking a few different tunes these days-

Lady Gaga- Poker Face and Just Dance

Soulja Boy- Kiss Me Through The Phone

Akon- Beautiful

Kanye West- Heartless

T.I.- Whatever You Like

T.I. and Justin Timberlake- Dead and Gone

Calle Ocho- Pitbull

Jamie Foxx, ft- T-Pain- Blame it on the Alcohol

I'm Yours- Jason Mraz

Edited by irish

Probably my favorite Neil Young album. This is the album that I learned to play guitar from.

I vote Harvest, then Goldrush, then either Everybody Knows This is Nowhere or Tonight's the Night.

Austin band. Pretty good. I think :wacko: I saw them live at some point in the past couple of years.

I've seen them a couple times, not one of my favorites live, but the song

off their last record is a flat out awesome tune with a really great video to go with it.

I cannot listen to Kings of Leon's current radio hit. Don't know why, but I just don't like it.

I'm listening to Rancid and the Offspring pretty regularly these days.

On Pandora, I started a station with Green Day as the touchpoint and it plays a lot of Blink 182 and Third Eye Blind and and amongst the rest of it.

What is it with Pandora though...if you keep it going for a couple hours -- without giving any thumbs up or down -- it will suddenly start throwing weird stuff in there. Yesterday I got Kenny Chesney, Kelly Clarkson and Justin Timberlake on that channel. eek.

television's marquee moon has been in my rotation for several years, I finally got around to picking up a couple more of their albums, adventure and live at the waldorf, and have been listening to those and marquee moon all day yesterday and today. awesome awesome awesome. these guys have to be one of my favorite rock bands ever.