[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Blue-Ray

BigMikeinNY

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watch my first blu-ray movie last night... Narnia; Prince Caspian.

I thought that it was stunning! But I won't rule out the possibility that my perspective was skewed by my excitement at setting up a new home theater system. I wanted it (and expected it) to be stunning. So even though I can't be sure that I am totally objective in my observations, I can at least say that I was not disappointed at all.

What I don't know though, is what part of the amazing quality was due to the tv, and what was due to the blu-ray player. I would probably have to hook up a regular dvd player to that same tv and try to compare. But, I don't wanna. :wacko:

I'm all over it.

The PS3 IS 400 dollars, so I wouldn't buy a scaling player to save half that, just get the game system.

"A few more pixels" really makes me laugh...

720x480 = 345,600 total pixels

1280 x 720 = 921,600. 720p has 3x the visual info than does standard def

1920 x 1080 = 2.073,600 total pixels. This is 1080p and what your PS3 will play blu ray movies at.

I'm not sure what 'resolution' the upscalers play at but on one level you do need to understand you do not "create HD signals" with those things. Garbage in = garbage out with signals. In other words, if it says it takes a SD signal and makes it a 1080p signal that is poppy cock. It is an esitamtion of what that signal might look like in HD. I'm sure it can look very appealing to the eye. The PS3 upscaler does a good job but no upscaler can compare to a true 1080p.

"A few more pixels" really makes me laugh...

720x480 = 345,600 total pixels

1280 x 720 = 921,600. 720p has 3x the visual info than does standard def

1920 x 1080 = 2.073,600 total pixels. This is 1080p and what your PS3 will play blu ray movies at.

I'm not sure what 'resolution' the upscalers play at but on one level you do need to understand you do not "create HD signals" with those things. Garbage in = garbage out with signals. In other words, if it says it takes a SD signal and makes it a 1080p signal that is poppy cock. It is an esitamtion of what that signal might look like in HD. I'm sure it can look very appealing to the eye. The PS3 upscaler does a good job but no upscaler can compare to a true 1080p.

I'm in the video business, and I know all this.

I also know that I can't tell the difference between a 6 megapixel image and a 20 megapixel image with my bare eyes unless I zoom in considerably. That's more pixels, but you wouldn't care unless you're a pro.

My LG upscaler doesn't create an actual HD image. What it does is minimize and mask the symptoms of playing SD video on an HD monitor, and I think it looks great. Plus, I don't have to rebuy my whole video collection. I think it's a totally viable alternative unless you like to spend money and brag to your friends about it.

the PS3 is the best BD player mainly because of the quick load times and it can upgrade with no problem...

I recently purchased The Dark Knight on Blu and that is probably one of the...if not the best example of what Blu can do because on the certain scenes they filmed in IMAX, the aspect ratio and PQ enhanced immensely and even looked 3D (where Joker was hanging out the cop car especially) and the picture fills out the screen instead of using the black bars on the top and bottom...

but as I said, get a PS3 and hook it up via HDMI from monoprice.com and scoop up any of the following Blu-ray's Apocalypto, Kingdom of Heaven, Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Dark Knight....you won't be disappointed..

I'm in the video business, and I know all this.

I also know that I can't tell the difference between a 6 megapixel image and a 20 megapixel image with my bare eyes unless I zoom in considerably. That's more pixels, but you wouldn't care unless you're a pro.

My LG upscaler doesn't create an actual HD image. What it does is minimize and mask the symptoms of playing SD video on an HD monitor, and I think it looks great. Plus, I don't have to rebuy my whole video collection. I think it's a totally viable alternative unless you like to spend money and brag to your friends about it.

I know you do, but your explanation was a little confusing to the layman and I'm glad you explained it a little better. Someone might have thought you were implying it was creating an HD image lacking a few pixels, and because I'm in the same line of business, I run into that very common misconception by people who aren't quite tech savvy. I didn't want people to take that away from your initial post.

The PS3 is also a very viable alternative for people who don't already have a large video collection and brag about it.

Edited by Pope Flick

Got mine when they first released the PS3, Absolutely love it. And besides the picture, if you have a surround sound system, it's going to sound better also.

+1...surround with HDMI pass-through is ideal as long as it accepts audio pass-through...

I was recently burned on a receiver where I assumed that because the receiver had HDMI, it would automaticallydo the audio and picture....but it was only picture....

I wasn't aware that this was possible, so be sure that the HDMI does the pass-through with audio and video...

Plus, I don't have to rebuy my whole video collection.

Precisely. It's a trap by big media to get you to replace all your current media. I'll be danged if I'm replacing all my DVDs this soon.

I'm still holding on to my albums since they sound better than any CD ever could. Too many fools fell for those hollow sounding fancy CD things. And don't even talk about MP3 for chrissakes.

Precisely. It's a trap by big media to get you to replace all your current media. I'll be danged if I'm replacing all my DVDs this soon.

I'm still holding on to my albums since they sound better than any CD ever could. Too many fools fell for those hollow sounding fancy CD things. And don't even talk about MP3 for chrissakes.

I'm not about to double dip on any movie that isn't worth it...nobody has to go out and replace all their DVD's with Blu-ray, just get movies you don't already have...or maybe a classic that is worth the double dip...

also, with how much technology is improving in regards to making these movies, I'd like to have the movies that come out in the future on Blu...

or maybe a classic that is worth the double dip...

There were 10...TEN Star Trek movies!!! That's gotta be about $400.00 of greatness.

Not to mention the 2.5 Star Wars movies. :wacko:

(ETA: Do you pay half price for just the first half of Star Wars VI?)

Edited by TimC

The only movies I have gotten specifically on blu-ray are the Harry Potter movies :D

I hear the Lord of the Rings is coming out on blu-ray next year and I will double dip there :D:wacko:

The PS3 is very good value for the money for a blu-ray player, as the updates for on-line content, etc., is frequent.

the PS3 is the best BD player mainly because of the quick load times and it can upgrade with no problem...

I recently purchased The Dark Knight on Blu and that is probably one of the...if not the best example of what Blu can do because on the certain scenes they filmed in IMAX, the aspect ratio and PQ enhanced immensely and even looked 3D (where Joker was hanging out the cop car especially) and the picture fills out the screen instead of using the black bars on the top and bottom...

but as I said, get a PS3 and hook it up via HDMI from monoprice.com and scoop up any of the following Blu-ray's Apocalypto, Kingdom of Heaven, Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Dark Knight....you won't be disappointed..

And I'm sold.

I have a PS3 and I have a Sony upscaling DVD player. I have watched both on my 46 Samsung and I do think the Blue Ray is a little better. It is not "wow" better. It is just a little noticeable IMHO. I would not pay the difference for the Blue Ray based on the difference that I see.

I have a PS3 and I have a Sony upscaling DVD player. I have watched both on my 46 Samsung and I do think the Blue Ray is a little better. It is not "wow" better. It is just a little noticeable IMHO. I would not pay the difference for the Blue Ray based on the difference that I see.

at this point in it's life cycle it really depends on what movie you watched....

some movies don't really look better at all, they just have PCM/Lossless audio instead...

at this point in it's life cycle it really depends on what movie you watched....

some movies don't really look better at all, they just have PCM/Lossless audio instead...

here is a link to the AVS Forums where they have many if not all BluRays broken down by tiers according to the Picture Quality

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858316

here is the top tier(i own Happy Feet and The Wild and both are Fn incredible PQ wise)

TIER 0 -Blu-

These are reference quality titles with the cleanest and sharpest image available. Films in this tier are demo material and represent the best of the best Blu-ray has to offer.

Kung Fu Panda Video: AVC | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 2.35:1 | DreamWorks

Ratatouille Video: AVC | Audio: PCM | AR: 2.40:1 | Disney

Cars Video: AVC | Audio: PCM | AR: 2.40:1 | Disney

Meet the Robinsons Video: AVC | Audio: PCM | AR: 1.78:1 | Disney

Happy Feet (Import) Video: VC-1 | Audio: PCM | AR: 2.40:1 | Warner

I, Robot Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | Fox

Pirates of the Caribbean - At World's End Video: AVC | Audio: PCM | AR: 2.40:1 | Buena Vista

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest Video: AVC | Audio: PCM | AR: 2.35:1 | Buena Vista

Chicken Little Video: AVC | Audio: PCM | AR: 1.78:1 | Buena Vista

Open Season Video: AVC | Audio: PCM | AR: 1.85:1 | Sony

The Wild Video: AVC | Audio: PCM | AR: 1.85:1 | Buena Vista

Man on Fire Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.40:1 | Fox

Beowulf (UK) Video: VC-1 | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 2.40:1 | Warner

Bee Movie Video: AVC | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 1.85:1 | Dreamworks

TMNT Video: VC-1 | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 2.40:1 | Warner

Prison Break Season One Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.78:1 | Fox

Baraka Video: VC-1 | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.20:1 | MPI Media

The Host Video: VC-1 | Audio: PCM | AR: 1.85:1 | Magnolia

Black Snake Moan Video: AVC | Audio: DD | AR: 2.35:1 | Paramount

Crank Video: MPEG-2 | Audio: 6.1 PCM | AR: 1.78:1 | Lionsgate

Wall-E Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.40:1 | Disney

Rendition (UK) Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | EIV

Zulu (UK Import) Video: AVC | Audio: DD | AR: 2.25:1 | Paramount

Tinker Bell Video: AVC | Audio: PCM | AR: 1.78:1 | Disney

Police: Certifiable - Live in Buenos Aires, The Video: VC-1 | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 1.78:1 | Univeral Music

Mad Men: Season One Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.78:1 | Lionsgate

Red Cliff (H.K. Import) Video: ? | Audio: PCM | AR: 2.35:1 | Mei Ah

Rescue Dawn Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.85:1 | MGM

Chronicles of Narnia, The: Prince Caspian Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | Disney

Live Free or Die Hard Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | Fox

Corpse Bride Video: VC-1 | Audio: DD | AR: 1.85:1 | Warner

Becoming Jane Video: VC-1 | Audio: PCM | AR: 2.35:1 | Disney

Elton 60 - Live at Madison Square Garden Video: AVC | Audio: PCM | AR: 1.78:1 | Universal Music

Mr. Brooks Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.85:1 | Fox

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl Video: AVC | Audio: PCM | AR: 2.40:1 | Buena Vista

Mongol Video: VC-1 | Audio: DD | AR: 2.39:1 | New Line

Hellboy II: The Golden Army Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 1.85:1 | Universal

The Island Video: VC-1 | Audio: DD | (UK Import) | AR: 2.35:1 | Warner

Happy Feet Video: VC-1 | Audio: DD EX | AR: 2.40:1 | Warner

Transporter 2 (Japan Import) Video: AVC | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 2.35:1 | Sony

Shoot 'Em Up Video: VC-1 | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | New Line

Doomsday Video: VC-1 | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.35:1 | Universal

Speed Racer Video: VC-1 | Audio: DD | AR: 2.40:1 | Warner

Shawshank Redemption, The Video: VC-1 | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 1.85:1 | Warner

Sleeping Beauty Video: AVC | Audio: DTS-HD MA | AR: 2.55:1 | Disney

Kill Bill: Vol. 2 Video: AVC | Audio: PCM | AR: 2.40:1 | Buena Vista

Tekkon Kinkreet Video: AVC | Audio: PCM | AR: 2.35:1 | Sony

How the West Was Won Video: VC-1 | Audio: TrueHD | AR: 2.89:1 | Warner

Kill Bill: Vol. 1 Video: AVC | Audio: PCM | AR: 2.40:1 | Buena Vista