[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Blue-Ray

BigMikeinNY

Precisely. It's a trap by big media to get you to replace all your current media. I'll be danged if I'm replacing all my DVDs this soon.

I'm still holding on to my albums since they sound better than any CD ever could. Too many fools fell for those hollow sounding fancy CD things. And don't even talk about MP3 for chrissakes.

Do you play those albums in your car too or are you sticking with 8 track? :wacko:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our tv is 720p.

So Blu-ray is 1080p?

I believe so, and I concur w/ the comments about PS3 vs BR player. Definitely get the PS3...at least for now. Oh, and get the remote. That makes it a lot easier to cruise the menu(s).

Our tv is 720p.

So Blu-ray is 1080p?

Blu-ray does everything up to 1080p....which makes it better than anything you see on Cable/satellite...

I believe so, and I concur w/ the comments about PS3 vs BR player. Definitely get the PS3...at least for now. Oh, and get the remote. That makes it a lot easier to cruise the menu(s).

+1 on the PS3 remote....it's a bluetooth remote that doesn't need a sensor...

I just thought the Blu-ray and HD DVDs themselves were 720p? I, obviously, haven't kept up on the tech.

I still don't see us making the purchase anytime soon tho.

We'd have to cancel our HD cable to afford the player and DVD purchases.

I wonder if Comcast will ever push 1080p via On-Demand?

The BR players price will continue to drop. Give it time. You might benefit from an upconverting DVD player that has HDMI out. That way you're watching DVDs in 720p instead of 480. And you can get those really cheap.

I just thought the Blu-ray and HD DVDs themselves were 720p? I, obviously, haven't kept up on the tech.

I still don't see us making the purchase anytime soon tho.

We'd have to cancel our HD cable to afford the player and DVD purchases.

I wonder if Comcast will ever push 1080p via On-Demand?

even the 1080p on cable/satellite is watered down enough to look like 480p on Blu-ray

Edited by Avernus

OK...question regarding Blu-Ray. My plasma is 4 or so years old and only has component video connection (no HDMI). It's obviously not 1080p, but1080i/720p. Is connecting a Blu-Ray player via component video cables an option? At some point I read that some movies are blocked from displaying in hi-def through the component video connection due to copyright issues.

Is Blu-Ray through component cables doable or a waste?

Thanks.

OK...question regarding Blu-Ray. My plasma is 4 or so years old and only has component video connection (no HDMI). It's obviously not 1080p, but1080i/720p. Is connecting a Blu-Ray player via component video cables an option? At some point I read that some movies are blocked from displaying in hi-def through the component video connection due to copyright issues.

Thanks.

my guess is that is completely dependent on your bluray player. if it has component outputs, you should be fine. I believe component is capable of pushing up to 1080p, so there's not necessarily a limitation in the connection. I don't know anything about movies being blocked from displaying through component, but I am suspicious it's not true because it doesn't really make sense.

Thanks.

you should have no problem playing your movie using component...HDMI is only encouraged, not a requirement...

Thanks, guys. Here is what I was referring to, though I'm really not sure if it is an issue or not, because I don't know much about it.

Image Constraint Token

If any components in the display chain do not support HDCP (such as a display connected to the player through analog connections like component, composite or S-Video) and the ICT flag is enabled, the player automatically reduces the high-definition video to the resolution of 960x540 pixels before outputting it. Hence, while higher resolution than that of a standard DVD, the resulting video signal is no longer truly high-definition.
Edited by Hugh-mongus

what about hoop dreams and mr belvedere? :wacko:

not saying it's the case with that movie, it probably isn't, but I am sure there are things that can be done with post-processing that would take advantage of a higher resolution video output. I know this is the case with audio recordings, where they can take old mono recordings and split them into 2 channel (or 5, or more) stereo.

I mean, you're the one in here pimping the capabilities of your $100 upscaling DVD player....I'm sure the studios have equipment that can wring even more out of that 640x480 image than your DVD player.

Wow, you're really looking for an argument today, aren't you? :D

Go ahead and buy an SD-shot movie on Blu-ray. Enjoy. :D

I wish Avernus and Keggerz would fight to the death for the right to wear that avatar since I can't be bothered to read the names of the posters. Seriously, I thought Keg was talking to himself for about 6 or 7 posts there. :wacko:

I did too :D

Thanks.

I have my PS3 connected via component cables and it works/looks awesome

For anyone who does not own the Planet Earth documentary on DVD or Blu-ray, Discovery.com is selling the Blu-ray version for 35 bucks..

I remember when Best Buy had it for 119...

http://shopping.discovery.com/product-6576...ured-PlanetEart

edit: this is the "American Version" and not the BBC version......the American version is supposed to not nearly be as good for whatever reason as I constantly see reviews say that the BBC version is the one to get...

look into it...the deal might be for you, it might not..

Edited by Avernus

For anyone who does not own the Planet Earth documentary on DVD or Blu-ray, Discovery.com is selling the Blu-ray version for 35 bucks..

I remember when Best Buy had it for 119...

http://shopping.discovery.com/product-6576...ured-PlanetEart

edit: this is the "American Version" and not the BBC version......the American version is supposed to not nearly be as good for whatever reason as I constantly see reviews say that the BBC version is the one to get...

look into it...the deal might be for you, it might not..

What happened to your avatar? YOu look naked.

I've actually been working on some blu-ray projects for Warner Home Video and can probably clear up a few things. As people have mentioned, blu-ray all runs at a native 1080p resolution. However, even if your TV only goes to 720p, you'll still see a noticable improvement in sound and picture quality over DVD. Player prices are dropping to near $100 range and movies are only a couple dollars more than their DVD counterparts.

In terms of SD shot movies, the reason it takes time for studios to release their old titles on blu-ray is because they have to completely remaster off of the original film. It's rather time consuming and expensive, but yields some incredible results. The native resolution of film stock (while not directly comparable to digital resolution) is exceptionally higher than 1080p, making it possible to acheive very high resolution digital scans. While not all films are created equal, I have yet to come across a movie that looks the same on blu-ray and dvd.

My wife just bought me a Memorex Blu-Ray player for Christmas. It is one of the cheaper ones on the market, and she said she got it for around $170 from Overstock.com. I've been watching through a Sony Upconvert through HDMI onto my 1080p plasma. I hooked up the BR player and put in the "Iron Man" DVD that my wife also bought me for Christmas. I was completely blown away by the upgrade in picture quality, as well as sound quality through my Surround system. It was AWESOME !!!! :wacko:

Netflix has most movies on Blu-Ray and automatically updated those in my queue to Blu-Ray. It is only an extra dollar per month.

I'm thrilled with my Christmas gift. :D

My wife just bought me a Memorex Blu-Ray player for Christmas. It is one of the cheaper ones on the market, and she said she got it for around $170 from Overstock.com. I've been watching through a Sony Upconvert through HDMI onto my 1080p plasma. I hooked up the BR player and put in the "Iron Man" DVD that my wife also bought me for Christmas. I was completely blown away by the upgrade in picture quality, as well as sound quality through my Surround system. It was AWESOME !!!! :wacko:

Netflix has most movies on Blu-Ray and automatically updated those in my queue to Blu-Ray. It is only an extra dollar per month.

I'm thrilled with my Christmas gift. :D

was that Iron Man on Blu...or standard DVD?

Santa brought us a Panasonic Blu-ray player....it's the latest version I think...

at first, you might think you have a lemon on your hands because no matter what I did, the picture kept flickering when I turned the player on......it looked like it kept trying to show the picture, but would just flicker once every 5 seconds instead...

I eventually just unplugged from it and waited for a few minutes and plugged everything back in to have everything working fine....

but after that....everything was smooth, except for the load time for "Open season"....I definitely had to wait a few minutes to get involved, the PS3 I have is much faster...however the Panny I have loads much faster than the other players I've messed with...

but anyways.....it's a great player....